Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,897,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Charlotte-area flight attendant and cancer survivor contacted WBTV after she says she was forced to show her prosthetic breast during a pat-down. Cathy Bossi lives in south Charlotte and has been a flight attendant for the past 32 years, working the past 28 for U.S. Airways.
Cancer surviving flight attendant told to remove prosthetic brea - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,420,843 times
Can't view it from the office, sorry. I'll watch it at home.

I was commenting based on the DOZENS of pictures that have been posted on the internet over the AIT scanners and the types of images they produce. None of them that I've seen come close to be a "naked photo" type image.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
1. How could they have done a better job?

2. How did they break the rules or "violate the rules set in place?"

I am referring to the case where they made the 4 yr old little boy with braces take them off and crawl through security. It clearly states in the TSA's own rulebook that they will not ask anyone who has braces needed to walk to remove them. They failed to follow their rules and therefore need better training because they don't even KNOW what is allowed in this particular case.
TSA: Assistive Devices and Mobility Aids (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1370.shtm#0 - broken link)
  • Security Officers will need to see and touch your prosthetic device, cast or support brace as part of the screening process.
  • Security Officers will not ask nor require you to remove your prosthetic device, cast, or support brace.
  • During the screening process, please do not remove or offer to remove your prosthetic device.
Quote:

3. What arrogance did they demonstrate in this example? It seems like they were pretty polite and patient to say the least considering the passenger's tone and arrogance.
I was referring to the woman who had contact lens solution was tackled and then thrown against a counter. I found that they were extremely violent and I just did not see that as necessary. She was cooperating but they didn't like that she was LIPPY? To effing bad. You are NOT a police officer. IT is NOT illegal to talk back to a TSA agent, and until it IS ILLEGAL, you better not physical assault someone because they have a smart mouth. IF you want to play power trip, go be a REAL cop.

Quote:

4. What do you know about these TSA's officials training to judge how well they are trained? Are you a TSA official. Have you witnessed their training firsthand?
I see that these in particular were NOT TRAINED properly or were incompetent on the job and should be fired. They didn't even follow the regulations and quite frankly should not be on duty,

There is no room for incompetency or abusive behavior by ANYONE in a position of Authority,

I appreciate the security the airlines are attempting to give and I have no problem with being searched, the scans, or any of that stuff, but until they train their employees to follow the rules, they should be ready for an abundance of lawsuits.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,032,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If you have ever flown international you have been given the same questions as you would be asked in an Israeli style screening system.

The questions are less important than how the person reacts.

I posted a link to a newspaper article detailing how Israel deals with this subject.

Link:
The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother - thestar.com
Look into my eyes This is not Israel. This was the
most laughable part of the article:

"Do you know why Israelis are so calm? We have brutal terror attacks on our civilians and still, life in Israel is pretty good. The reason is that people trust their defense forces, their police, their response teams and the security agencies. They know they're doing a good job. You can't say the same thing about Americans and Canadians. They don't trust anybody," Sela said. "But they say, 'So far, so good'. Then if something happens, all hell breaks loose and you've spent eight hours in an airport. Which is ridiculous. Not justifiable"

The only reason Israel is calm is because US gives them
money and US has their back.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM

15,116 posts, read 8,667,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was raised by parents who believed in standing for what they believed. My mom and Grandmother, when we deported the Japanese during WW2, stored the possessions of one of their neighbors until they retuned and my mother told me about it long before a history class did. She was still outraged. Another neighbor "rented" the house and kept it in good condition for them. They couldn't stop them from being taken away but they could make sure home still remained. My dad, who was born in the south and went into the navy young, was so insensed at George Wallace that he refused to set foot in the state until he had ceased to be governer, so I never met my aunts and uncles unless they came to visit us. But he did it based on principals. They do matter and even if your actions are at a cost if you believe in them you follow them.

I found other ways of going places after they started the multitude of rules about planes. I don't want be be a good sheep and the best way I can is to not fly.

We have changed drastically in the last ten years, and the idea that torture is okay since its "them" and we can talk about it nonchantely is still hard to believe. I have done research on torture for stories (write as a hobby) and to think that our government can with no quams fine reasons to say its fine and okay and *the ends justify the means* is sickening.

I am reminded of a post or video in this or one of the threads in Travel. The passanger, a man, got one of the first "in the pants" gropes. He said the TSA agent was nervous and kept saying "sorry, sorry, we have to do it this way" the whole time. If its THAT bad for him that he has to apologise to the victum, don't. Simple. Draw a line. Now the tenth or twentyith maybe to calm down the scared child inside him he's stopped apologising. But what does this say about what we are doing to orselves?

In the end it is US who will pay for it. For the sheep-like compliance and the caving in of those who are used to do the managing of the sheep. There are those who like the idea of order and control and we are letting them win like we have for years.
That's a great story, and your parents and neighbors are the examples of true Americans ... that's who we are supposed to be, and that's who we have to become again ... in majority numbers.

Relating to the "I'm sorry" from the TSA worker ... at least he started out with a conscience, unlike many ... and who knows, maybe he ends up quitting ....

And the video you posted ... yes, I'm familiar with this ... and I watched the first part ... and it is very disturbing what seemingly normal people are capable of doing to others ... and it's also true that the social engineers are well aware of these psychological patterns and responses, and know exactly how to manipulate people.

Frankly I'm as astounded as I am disgusted at the extreme level of submissiveness and acceptance demonstrated on this topic of TSA groping. Apparently, for many people, there seems to be nothing that will summon a spark of indignation, and nothing that is viewed as crossing the line. For some, there seems to be no line to even cross.

How can this be? Here, supposedly in the land of the liberty minded America ... how did so many become convinced to accept the unacceptable? My theory is, the slow frog boil.

We've been preached to about how free we are .. and we constantly tell ourselves and each other how free we are, while slowly, those freedoms have been taken away ... so slowly that it's barely been noticed except for the small minority who have paid close attention.

And we've become a deluded society ... one that appears to enjoy being lied to ... the bigger the lie, the better we like it ... and we'll curse anyone who dares tell the truth.

In truth .. I think we aren't far from SURPASSING Orwell's 1984.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Look into my eyes This is not Israel. This was the
most laughable part of the article:

"Do you know why Israelis are so calm? We have brutal terror attacks on our civilians and still, life in Israel is pretty good. The reason is that people trust their defense forces, their police, their response teams and the security agencies. They know they're doing a good job. You can't say the same thing about Americans and Canadians. They don't trust anybody," Sela said. "But they say, 'So far, so good'. Then if something happens, all hell breaks loose and you've spent eight hours in an airport. Which is ridiculous. Not justifiable"

The only reason Israel is calm is because US gives them
money and US has their back.
The purpose of airport security is to make flying safer....if another nation has a better method who cares about the other policies of it?

I find it laughable when people here think that scanning SOME people and employing $12/hour schmoes to look at naked pics of them will keep them safe...but then,Americans are some of the most gullible people around.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,133,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Now everyone can feel just like us women who gets their physicals each year. LOL
What do these men -who are scared of their junk getting touched- do when the Dr. asks them to turn their head and cough, or when they hit 50 and are told they need a Colonoscopy?

Do they sacrifice their health screening because they are too demure and shy to let someone TOUCH their junk? Grow a pair fella's, being so insecure is not a turn on for any woman, even your WIFE.

Try having a team of STRANGERS looking up inside of you while you spread your legs WIDE open during labor.

I don't like the TSA picking on and insulting the disabled who have to use wheelchairs and braces and such, or have implants that are metal. That is just wrong and abusing their power.

But some of these idiots should be put on the no fly list for their stupidity.

The lady with the nipple rings was obnoxious. LOOK CHICK, you knew they were steel when you put them in, you knew they would set the alarm off just like wearing steel RINGS or KEYS do. EVERYONE removes nipple rings (the kind with the ball bearing) with PLIERS btw. That is how to change the gauge size or style. I have had many a piercing and have traveled through security and am smart enough to remove them BEFORE I go to the airport. EVEN the tongue ring goes. Just like with surgery, you have to TAKE THEM OUT, YOU STUPID LADY.

Not a dime for her. She was looking for a handout.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM

If anyone is interested,the GAO conducted tests to try and smuggle bomb making materials past the scanners.

The results of those tests are unfortunately classified...wonder why?

But do not despair,another test was performed by the Inspector General for Homeland Security.The results of that test?
Classified.

Weird.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The purpose of airport security is to make flying safer....if another nation has a better method who cares about the other policies of it?

I find it laughable when people here think that scanning SOME people and employing $12/hour schmoes to look at naked pics of them will keep them safe...but then,Americans are some of the most gullible people around.
The same thing can be said for Israelification. The same $12/hour "schmoe" will be asking people questions and trying to profile peoples behaviors. The same schmoe will question everyone yet subject only[in certain group of people here] to be further checked. Bringing up racial profiling etc.. Then we are back to square one. Ranting about Israelification and how only certain groups of people are always or never searched.

You can't win in America. This country does not think collectively. We all act as individuals and never for the greater good of the country. We don't trust people in authority, government or ourselves. And god forbid we do trust anyone we are called "gullible".

Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Those Damned Jews just need to shut up and waer the stupid star on their clothes,what's the big deal....Good little German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies