Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Why is it that everything the government does is interpreted as infringement on personal freedom? I am amazed that so many people would rather risk getting on a plane with a terrorist who has explosives in his/her underwear than to undergo an xray exposing their genitalia or "junk" as seems to be the slang of the day, or undergo a body search. I seriously doubt the average airline screener gets off of padding folks down. So why people are so threatened by it? Everybody will be raising hell when the U.S. gets hit again, blaming the government for not protecting us but nobody wants to be inconvenienced? People need to get over it. If an xray picture of your body or a security person touching you "down there" is such a big deal, don't fly. Why should the rest of us be at increased risk because of a few uptight people.
Anyone who reads this and isn't scared to death at what is happening to our country doesn't understand, value, or deserve freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM

171 posts, read 317,765 times
I find it absolutely ridiculous they have lost their minds when it comes to going overboard at the airports, yet, there is absolutely no concern at all for the millions of illegals who cross the borders at will. In fact the same federal government that runs the TSA, sues its own citizens when they legally create their own state laws to deal with the issue.

This isn't an issue of the airlines as they would just as soon not have to deal with the brunt of complaints that come from the shake downs that are happening at the TSA checkpoints. Instead it's a symptom of a Federal Government completely out of control that has extended it's power over it's citizens in unacceptable ways. People should be outraged but like most sheep, they are drinking the koolaid put forth endlessly on TV that it OK to give up rights (like not being practically strip searched by the government) for the false sense of security against an imaginary enemy.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
When did I say flying was a right?
Read my post again. I will do pat downs with no protesting, but doing a strip search for no cause is going beyond a reasonable search.
And your TWC analogy is ridiculous.
Baa.

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Why is it that everything the government does is interpreted as infringement on personal freedom? I am amazed that so many people would rather risk getting on a plane with a terrorist who has explosives in his/her underwear than to undergo an xray exposing their genitalia or "junk" as seems to be the slang of the day, or undergo a body search. I seriously doubt the average airline screener gets off of padding folks down. So why people are so threatened by it? Everybody will be raising hell when the U.S. gets hit again, blaming the government for not protecting us but nobody wants to be inconvenienced? People need to get over it. If an xray picture of your body or a security person touching you "down there" is such a big deal, don't fly. Why should the rest of us be at increased risk because of a few uptight people.
The problem I have with your post is that the only ones inconvienenced are the innocent ones. Women in burkas will be exempt due to religious reasons...like Christians believe it's OK to be fondled...Again, the PC bulls*it will let the most dangerous get by without being "inconvienienced" while the rest of us unquestionably do as we're told to be safe.

If I've never been involved in any radical activities, never been stopped by a cop, why am I being treated like a criminal in an airport? Some people think it's wrong to ask people for their papers to prove they're a citizen...yet seeing someone naked or touching them inappropriately is just fine.

If I make my reservations a week before a flight why can't they check my records? If someone has to fly at the last minute...they go through extra security. Let businessmen and frequent travelers get a special clearance.

We are ALL paying the price for extremist Muslims. Muslims should have the extra security. If I were involved with kittens and kittens were a threat I would expect people to see me as more of a threat.

624 posts, read 2,109,372 times
This has all the makings of moving to the Great Debate Thread.

This whole National Opt Out Day is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of in awhile. I understand the frustration behind the constantly changing TSA policies, but all this opt out is going to accomplish is completely wrecking air travel for families.

This is the day before Thanksgiving, people will be traveling with kids, parents, grandparents the whole spectrum and the goal of this is to make the security process be more miserable and slower? All the TSA employees do at the end of the shift is clock out and go home. This has the potential of making people miss flights, miss time with their families and ruin the holiday.

As for Charlotte specifically, their are four security checkpoints.
- Checkpoints B and C have priority lines for families and frequent flyers.
- Checkpoints A and D open at 4:30 AM
- Checkpoints B and C open at 5:15 AM (if you arrive at 5 AM, go here)
- Each checkpoint has one Full Body Scanner, typically to the lane all the way to the right, to avoid it, lean left.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
There is no accountability for the TSA. Read some articles out there. Their transmissions aren't recorded like fire and police. One blogger wrote he heard someone radio "Heads up, I got a cutie for you". Other people with scanners have picked up the signal and overheard transmissions and will be sending them to the media soon.

Images were not supposed to be retained but they lied. What's to stop someone that is basically equivalent to a mall cop from snapping photos on their phones and sending them around?

Educate yourself and realize the type of people we are putting in charge of this thing you refer to as security.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 AM

171 posts, read 317,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
When did I say flying was a right?
Actually you have the absolute right to do business with an airline. It's a private transaction between you and the private airline in question. The question that you were asked "about flying being a right" is nothing but a red herring.

The real question is what right does the federal government have in doing a strip search of your person before you can board a plane where you have contracted for passage? Constitutionally they are very shaky ground.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 AM

624 posts, read 2,109,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
The real question is what right does the federal government have in doing a strip search of your person before you can board a plane where you have contracted for passage?
Nope, the real question the OP is asking about specific areas at the Charlotte Airport where you can protest.

Technically I don't think any of the non-sterile check in area is off limits. There are no checks or places that are restricted to only flyers on the non-sterile side.

That said, the check in area is pretty condensed, and on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving will be swamped with people trying to visit family for the holiday. Any protest in that area is just going to annoy passengers trying to get to their destination while TSA will be at least 50 feet away and completely unphased.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM

292 posts, read 672,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
That said, the check in area is pretty condensed, and on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving will be swamped with people trying to visit family for the holiday. Any protest in that area is just going to annoy passengers trying to get to their destination while TSA will be at least 50 feet away and completely unphased.
I thought the point was to "annoy" people (passengers) enough to get more people involved in the movement against the full body scanners. Make it a big hassle so people might second guess instead of following like sheep every new security device. I don't think people are trying to get through to TSA agents, but the people instead.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
I don't see what the big deal is. Went through the scan...so what. I would rather see that than another 9/11. And by the way for those that won't do it...drive or take the train, or a boat, or swim. Much ado over nothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies