Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 PM

487 posts, read 636,583 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of people freely throwing around this word "redneck". To me it sounds like the equivalent of the N-word for white people.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Thought this was interesting but unfortunately, and predictably, the liberal media thinks it's bad or wrong for white people wanting to live in mostly homogeneous communities and they make up offensively racist words like "Whitetopia" to describe this supposedly awful thing. They never complain when black or latino or asian people self-segregate themselves. The author of the book is black, btw.

America's Booming White Enclaves
Oct 12 2009
'Searching for Whitopia': Benjamin on White Segregation - TIME

Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM

943 posts, read 2,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Thought this was interesting but unfortunately, and predictably, the liberal media thinks it's bad or wrong for white people wanting to live in mostly homogeneous communities and they make up offensively racist words like "Whitetopia" to describe this supposedly awful thing. They never complain when black or latino or asian people self-segregate themselves. The author of the book is black, btw.

America's Booming White Enclaves
Oct 12 2009
'Searching for Whitopia': Benjamin on White Segregation - TIME
Notice something about that book, its like all white people are "rich". The picture of the people golfing is a bit much.

here too the liberal establishment doesnt get it, it is about CLASS< NOT about color of skin.

If some working class white walked onto the snooty golf course, theyd be treated bad too.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM

41 posts, read 140,862 times
When crime runs rampant and I am accosted early in the morning by some kook, then my garage is broken into, next a woman is murdered in the alley behind my house (her screams woke me up) then, yes, you better believe I WILL MOVE!! It has nothing to do with color or ethnicity, it has to do with not being terrified for your life! The first area I grew up in was Grand River/Virginia Park. It was mixed racially and the neighbors were great - we got along just fine. Then another type of people came in and started causing trouble. The last straw was when they even stole the next door neighbors yard. Yes, I said stole his yard. He had just had it sodded that afternoon and in the middle of the night some group took it. Nice, huh? Sad what happens when trash of any ethnicity decide to drive people out of an area.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
wow, stole the sod?? Incredible.

And I do hear you about being scared for your life. I think the original poster was posing the question about people who move out of a neighborhood just because the racial composition is changing. It could be a upper class professional moving into a well kept middle to lower middle class neighbor hood, for some people if the educated, upper class upstanding professional is non white... it is time to pack the truck and move.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
If an area becomes more dangerous and crime infested, and the area just happens to be getting less and less "white"........then no it isnt wrong....who would want to live around crime?

However, if white people start moving out JUST because they see black families moving in (with no signs of increased criminal activity in the area, and the families are actually decent hard working people)....then yes...that would be wrong.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
If an area becomes more dangerous and crime infested, and the area just happens to be getting less and less "white"........then no it isnt wrong....who would want to live around crime?

However, if white people start moving out JUST because they see black families moving in (with no signs of increased criminal activity in the area, and the families are actually decent hard working people)....then yes...that would be wrong.
Why??? I have the right to leave anytime I want. That is why I live on 100 acres. I do not want any people around me.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Default Is White Flight Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 248 View Post
I've been reading so many posts and seeing so many white people voice opinions that would regularly be kept at the kitchen dinner table with their families in the confines of their own homes. However, because anyone can hide behind a screenname and speak their minds, it shows me how divided the city of Detroit is. I've been living in Southfield most of my life and I just cannot understand why so many WHITE, yes WHITE people feel threatened by the city? Is it so hard to believe that civilized middle to upperclassed BLACKS can live competently in an environment with whites as well without turning it into a "Ghetto?" And by the way, that term seems to just be a code for a predominantly black area, no matter the property values or upkeep. If rap music is heard playing loudly it is a "ghetto." If rock music is heard playing loudly, it is considered to root from the rebellious youth of white suburbia. I am not a racist, before someone calls me one. I went to private school all my life, and was surrounded at all times by more white than black. I'VE EVEN DATED A BEAUTIFUL WHITE WOMAN, however - it seems that no matter what black people do to prove themselves, white America still does not trust us.

Please defend yourselves.
Wow. That's really impressive! </sarcasm> So was she just a trophy girlfriend to you? And why didn't you marry her?

People have the right to move to and away from wherever they want to. Honestly, city living could never be for me. I love having my yard and river view. I love the peace, quiet and safety. I need a driveway with a two car garage. And the suburbs are a much cleaner place than in the inner city neighborhoods. We don't have all that trash on the streets. Our air quality is also much cleaner, especially on hot summer days.

Plenty of white people move into the city. Most of the ones I know that do are young single people. And most of those are gay men. Single white women probably prefer to live in safer areas. As for the white families that have the money to give them a choice in where they can live, the better schools tend to be in the suburbs. And they'd also prefer the safer neighborhoods to raise their kids. Who wants to play or bicycle around streets filled with street gangs, drug dealers and prostitutes? And live next to families composed of baby mommas and deadbeat dads?

And part of the reason that the suburban public schools are better than the city public schools is that the suburban kids actually want to learn and go on to college. And their parents also want them to go on to college. Suburban kids don't trash their school buildings like the city kids do.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wow. That's really impressive! </sarcasm> So was she just a trophy girlfriend to you? And why didn't you marry her?

People have the right to move to and away from wherever they want to. Honestly, city living could never be for me. I love having my yard and river view. I love the peace, quiet and safety. I need a driveway with a two car garage. And the suburbs are a much cleaner place than in the inner city neighborhoods. We don't have all that trash on the streets. Our air quality is also much cleaner, especially on hot summer days.

Plenty of white people move into the city. Most of the ones I know that do are young single people. And most of those are gay men. Single white women probably prefer to live in safer areas. As for the white families that have the money to give them a choice in where they can live, the better schools tend to be in the suburbs. And they'd also prefer the safer neighborhoods to raise their kids. Who wants to play or bicycle around streets filled with street gangs, drug dealers and prostitutes? And live next to families composed of baby mommas and deadbeat dads?

And part of the reason that the suburban public schools are better than the city public schools is that the suburban kids actually want to learn and go on to college. And their parents also want them to go on to college. Suburban kids don't trash their school buildings like the city kids do.
Suburban life might work for you, but is doesn't always work for me. You like your yard and river view. I could care less about having a back yard because I'm 23 years old and single(and a college student). Sometimes I go into Atlanta because I want to do things I can't do in the suburbs. A sketch of me, a nerdy, African-American male, straight, but somewhat effeminate and known for sporting a magenta bicycle helmet and Hello Kitty keychain. In Atlanta,particularly Midtown and Downtown, no one is staring at me and screaming things from out of their car and when I'm on a bicycle, I rarely worry about getting hit by a car because as aggressive as Atlanta drivers can be, I see more polite drivers than in the suburbs. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta because my university is there(if I transfer I will lose credits and I want to graduate as soon as possible). Out there, there are people that stare at me, and some people scream vile and awful things at me. I am just waiting out my time until I move to a major city(and not its suburbs). Like I said before, suburban life might work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Suburban life might work for you, but is doesn't always work for me. You like your yard and river view. I could care less about having a back yard because I'm 23 years old and single(and a college student). Sometimes I go into Atlanta because I want to do things I can't do in the suburbs. A sketch of me, a nerdy, African-American male, straight, but somewhat effeminate and known for sporting a magenta bicycle helmet and Hello Kitty keychain. In Atlanta,particularly Midtown and Downtown, no one is staring at me and screaming things from out of their car and when I'm on a bicycle, I rarely worry about getting hit by a car because as aggressive as Atlanta drivers can be, I see more polite drivers than in the suburbs. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta because my university is there(if I transfer I will lose credits and I want to graduate as soon as possible). Out there, there are people that stare at me, and some people scream vile and awful things at me. I am just waiting out my time until I move to a major city(and not its suburbs). Like I said before, suburban life might work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.
I couldn't stand living in place where people would scream vile things to someone whose only crime is having a colorful fashion sense.
I actually do live in a suburb just a few miles outside the city limits, it's a very progressive area known for being very open, but for me it's safer than the city.

Last edited by detshen; 10-17-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies