Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Suburban life might work for you, but is doesn't always work for me. You like your yard and river view. I could care less about having a back yard because I'm 23 years old and single(and a college student). Sometimes I go into Atlanta because I want to do things I can't do in the suburbs. A sketch of me, a nerdy, African-American male, straight, but somewhat effeminate and known for sporting a magenta bicycle helmet and Hello Kitty keychain. In Atlanta,particularly Midtown and Downtown, no one is staring at me and screaming things from out of their car and when I'm on a bicycle, I rarely worry about getting hit by a car because as aggressive as Atlanta drivers can be, I see more polite drivers than in the suburbs. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta because my university is there(if I transfer I will lose credits and I want to graduate as soon as possible). Out there, there are people that stare at me, and some people scream vile and awful things at me. I am just waiting out my time until I move to a major city(and not its suburbs). Like I said before, suburban life might work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.
If you had read my post thoroughly, I said that city life is best for young single people. But "white flight" is more about white families leaving worsening neighborhoods for other areas that are still white.

And my suburban house is only five miles from the heart of the city... so it's not that far away from "the action". And I only have to drive seven miles to my city job.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I couldn't stand living in place where people would scream vile things to someone whose only crime is having a colorful fashion sense.
I actually do live in a suburb just a few miles outside the city limits, it's a very progressive area known for being very open, but for me it's safer than the city.
I can't stand it either, but for now, it is cheaper to live where I live, not to mention, I don't have a car, so I can't really live anywhere else. I don't consider my fashion sense a crime, just a unique expression of me.
The suburb I live tends to very. It isn't a "university town" in its technical sense. Kennesaw has a unversity(Kennesaw State University), and a large number of students live in Kennesaw, but it isn't as progressive as you would think for having a university with 20,000 students. I don't view suburban areas as being that much safer than the city. After being mugged in Kennesaw, a supposedly "safe" suburb, I don't really believe suburbs are THAT much safer. At least in the city I can see everything around me.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
I can't stand it either, but for now, it is cheaper to live where I live, not to mention, I don't have a car, so I can't really live anywhere else. I don't consider my fashion sense a crime, just a unique expression of me.
The suburb I live tends to very. It isn't a "university town" in its technical sense. Kennesaw has a unversity(Kennesaw State University), and a large number of students live in Kennesaw, but it isn't as progressive as you would think for having a university with 20,000 students. I don't view suburban areas as being that much safer than the city. After being mugged in Kennesaw, a supposedly "safe" suburb, I don't really believe suburbs are THAT much safer. At least in the city I can see everything around me.
I was kidding about the crime, like when people joke about "fashion crimes" a magenta helmet sounds great to me!

Safety really depends on the city, and different parts of any city. Atlanta is a safer city than Detroit. It's just a completely different situation, I love Detroit, I spend a lot of time there, but I moved out because break ins and muggings were becoming a regular event rather than an occasional issue, I was worried about my 80 year old father being home alone. In the Detroit suburbs crime is rare, it's not something you have to think about every day.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I was kidding about the crime, like when people joke about "fashion crimes" a magenta helmet sounds great to me!

Safety really depends on the city, and different parts of any city. Atlanta is a safer city than Detroit. It's just a completely different situation, I love Detroit, I spend a lot of time there, but I moved out because break ins and muggings were becoming a regular event rather than an occasional issue, I was worried about my 80 year old father being home alone. In the Detroit suburbs crime is rare, it's not something you have to think about every day.
I guess living in the Atlanta area gives me a different perspective. Violent crime is not as high as it was before, but now violent crime is increasing in some of the suburbs. I am a bit cynical about living in the suburbs of Atlanta(at least many of the western, southern, and northern suburbs, with Marietta being a distinct exception). Then again, I have never been robbed or assaulted in Atlanta. I could understand your father needing somewhere safe to live.
For me, a place where I can be accepted(not merely tolerated, but accepted) is a place I would like to live in. I don't know much about most of Detroit's suburbs. The ones that stick out are Livonia(I have heard blacks often don't feel welcomed there), Southfield(middle class, large black population), Lathrup Village(middle to upper class, large black population), Hamtramck(large Polish and Arab ancestry, GM plant),Pontiac(the Lions). Apart from that, I don't know as much as I would know about the Atlanta suburbs. I wonder what life would be like for me if I ever did live in Detroit's suburbs.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If you had read my post thoroughly, I said that city life is best for young single people. But "white flight" is more about white families leaving worsening neighborhoods for other areas that are still white.

And my suburban house is only five miles from the heart of the city... so it's not that far away from "the action". And I only have to drive seven miles to my city job.
You did mention that. Mainly single people move to the cities. With that said, I still would prefer the city even if I had children. I see many advantages in living in the city. I don't have a car. If I live in the city, I won't need one. I don't have to worry about getting to my job if I live a short walk from it. Different things for different people. I am about finding a place that works for me and so are you. For me, it happens to be a place where I don't get stared at for being a little "different", where I can be near everything.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
I guess living in the Atlanta area gives me a different perspective. Violent crime is not as high as it was before, but now violent crime is increasing in some of the suburbs. I am a bit cynical about living in the suburbs of Atlanta(at least many of the western, southern, and northern suburbs, with Marietta being a distinct exception). Then again, I have never been robbed or assaulted in Atlanta. I could understand your father needing somewhere safe to live.
For me, a place where I can be accepted(not merely t, but accepted) is a place I would like to live in. I don't know much about most of Detroit's suburbs. The ones that stick out are Livonia(I have heard blacks often don't feel welcomed there), Southfield(middle class, large black population), Lathrup Village(middle to upper class, large black population), Hamtramck(large Polish and Arab ancestry, GM plant),Pontiac(the Lions). Apart from that, I don't know as much as I would know about the Atlanta suburbs. I wonder what life would be like for me if I ever did live in Detroit's suburbs.
From the way you have described yourself you would likely enjoy the Royal Oak area which includes Ferndale, Berkley, Pleasant Ridge. In general black people tend to live in Southfield and Beverly hills which are right next to Royal Oak/Ferndale. Metro Detroit is still pretty segregated, but black people spend time in downtown Royal Oak and Ferndale and are welcomed, it's getting better, but it's a very slow process.

The Royal Oak area is known for being progressive and open. It's an artsy area full of young people as well as families, interesting stores and restaurants. Ferndale has a large open gay population, there is even a gay and lesbian center on the main street downtown. I know you are strait, but a place that's accepting toward gay people tends to appreciate fun and fearless fashion.

Detroit is struggling right now, but so is everywhere else these days. I have lived in many different places, but I love it here, it's great place to live. I wish more people could see all the good that's here, burned out buildings are just a tiny part of Detroit, there are also great people, beautiful mansions, art museums, theaters, opera, an amazing symphony... sorry, I'm going off topic on a tangent. I'll stop now.

Last edited by detshen; 10-17-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
From the way you have described yourself you would likely enjoy the Royal Oak area which includes Ferndale, Berkley, Pleasant Ridge. In general black people tend to live in Southfield and Beverly hills which are right next to Royal Oak/Ferndale. Metro Detroit is still pretty segregated, but black people spend time in downtown Royal Oak and Ferndale and are welcomed, it's getting better, but it's a very slow process.

The Royal Oak area is known for being progressive and open. It's an artsy area full of young people as well as families, interesting stores and restaurants. Ferndale has a large open gay population, there is even a gay and lesbian center on the main street downtown. I know you are strait, but a place that's accepting toward gay people tends to appreciate fun and fearless fashion.

Detroit is struggling right now, but so is everywhere else these days. I have lived in many different places, but I love it here, it's great place to live. I wish more people could see all the good that's here, burned out buildings are just a tiny part of Detroit, there are also great people, beautiful mansions, art museums, theaters, opera, an amazing symphony... sorry, I'm going off topic on a tangent. I'll stop now.
I hear there are some nicer parts of Detroit, like Indian Village.

I didn't know the suburbs were like that.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I really see a difference between "white flight" and people wanting to move to suburbs because of safety or better schools. I moved to the suburbs because my neighborhood was getting less safe and I thought I could find better schools. I am Black. By that definition I suppose I could never "white flight" however, my old neighborhood was racially mixed. I didn't move because "Blacks were moving in". My 2 neighbors are white and are still living in that neighborhood. They did not "white flight" when my family moved in.

White flight is when the moving truck pulls up and a non white family moves in and the neighbors sell ASAP.

This is NOT due to any other reason other than "the blacks are coming". period. And yes everyone has the RIGHT to do whatever the hell they want... however it does not make it right.

And that's fine also. There are many people who do things that are not morally right. However, "man up" and stand by your decision and admit... "I don't want to live around Blacks because I can't or won't tolerate any differences".
Don't pull up things you see on the news and statistics (that frankly you personally have never experienced) just to excuse intolerance. If this scenario doesn't apply to you, you need not respond to this. YOU know who you are.
I don't have a problem doing or saying something that some people feel is morally or politically incorrect if it is something that I feel strongly about. And I don't have a problem telling people if they don't approve of me, "too bad, you will get over it" and keep it moving. I married someone out of my race; I did it because it is what I wanted to do. I don't explain or excuse my action by saying that men of my race are less desirable or bad etc. I just say it was right for me.

Driller, who says she moved because she doesn't like to be around people... any people... I can respect that. The posters who say they moved because they were looking for better schools based on statistics, I can understand that as well.

The poster who says that suburban schools are better because the kids are better and their parents are want better, and city kids destroy the schools and the neighborhoods are full of baby mamas and deadbeat dads... COME ON!

My in-laws are white, and lived suburb and rural... same kind of things you describe of city kids. My nephew is a Slim Shady wanna be, loves the gangster life and his sister idolizes him. Her boyfriend, once again city slick although he went to Farmington schools. They laugh at me and my family because we are "naive, square, boring"
So it is not location, it is values. Both kids are living the life that their mother endorsed by socializing with people with that lifestyle when the kids were young.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 248 View Post
I've been reading so many posts and seeing so many white people voice opinions that would regularly be kept at the kitchen dinner table with their families in the confines of their own homes. However, because anyone can hide behind a screenname and speak their minds, it shows me how divided the city of Detroit is. I've been living in Southfield most of my life and I just cannot understand why so many WHITE, yes WHITE people feel threatened by the city? Is it so hard to believe that civilized middle to upperclassed BLACKS can live competently in an environment with whites as well without turning it into a "Ghetto?" And by the way, that term seems to just be a code for a predominantly black area, no matter the property values or upkeep. If rap music is heard playing loudly it is a "ghetto." If rock music is heard playing loudly, it is considered to root from the rebellious youth of white suburbia. I am not a racist, before someone calls me one. I went to private school all my life, and was surrounded at all times by more white than black. I'VE EVEN DATED A BEAUTIFUL WHITE WOMAN, however - it seems that no matter what black people do to prove themselves, white America still does not trust us.

Please defend yourselves.
I don't know if it's a defense, but the black population taken as an aggregate is the most problematic, everywhere worldwide.

Here's some numbers to think on below.

Any given black can be anything, good or bad, but the overall numbers are the worst going.

Heck I've even seen it among highly paid blacks in top Fortune 500's. The Ebonics, crotch grabbing, putting feet up on sinks in the bathroom to tie their sneakers and 100 other just little things that are repulsive, long before one gets anywhere near crime.

Bottom line is, if the numbers are bad, it's just logical to "take flight". Especially when it's the only legal option.

White flight is not only right, but the only moral, legal, and ethical option currently available.

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Safest 25:...................%AA...Largest Segment?
1...Amherst, N.Y...........3.90............N
2...Mission Viejo, Ca......1.15............N
3...Brick Twnshp, N.J.....0.99............N
4...Newton, Mass..........1.97............N
5...Simi Valley, CA.........1.30............N
6...Cary, NC.................6.15............N
7...Greece, N.Y.............2.88............N
8...Thousand Oaks, CA...1.06............N
9...Colonie, N.Y.............3.96............N
10..Troy, MI..................2.09...........N
11..Sunnyvale, CA..........2.22...........N
12..Arvada, CO..............0.66...........N
13..Lake Forest, CA........1.83...........N
14..Orem, UT.................0.33...........N
15..Clarkstown, N.Y........7.87...........N
16..Sterling Heights, MI...1.30...........N
17..Irvine, CA................1.45...........N
18..Hamilton Twnshp, NJ..8.16..........N
19..Warwick, RI..............1.16..........N
20..Dover Twnshp, NJ......1.75..........N
21..Canton Twnshp, MI....4.54..........N
22..Cheektowaga, NY.......2.93..........N
23..Fremont, CA..............3.10..........N
24..Bellevue, WA.............1.99..........N
25..Farmington Hills, MI....6.94..........N

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Recently there was a story on 20-20 or similar show about a white artist couple who bought a deserted home in one of the worst ghettos in America. They took on a monumental task of cleaning up the property and rebuilding the house converting it to a home, art studio, and art gallery. No sooner had they completed the job and opened their small gallery when they were greeted by the local black gang. The black gang threaten their lives, threaten them with beatings, and told them they would burn their new place to the ground.

I kind of makes you all warm and cuddly seeing how the blacks welcomed the white people doesn't it?

The flight out of and away from violent black neighbors is not only limited to whites but people of all races. Even blacks are trying to flee of black neighborhoods. The funny thing is that when blacks do make it out of black neighborhoods that don't look back, go back, or offer any type of help that might change things. Oprah is a good example, she takes a very small percentage of her wealth and opens up an orphanage for black girls. In Detroit or LA, no way, she opened it in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies