Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,284,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
When you use phrases like "why do white people support...." it makes you SOUND like you are GOUPING all white ppl together! Maybe you don't realize how inconsistent you sound, so I'll keep pointing it out for you! I expect you will continue to give me ample opportunities to do that and so far, you haven't dissapointed!

The Tim Allen comment was meant to be a joke but I'm flattered that you apparently take everything I say as serious comment!
Because it was a serious comment.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 PM

240 posts, read 443,818 times
[quote=Le Lune;16767000]Actually, I don't understand white people's obsession with black people either. I don't understand why black people don't want to take a good hard look at their community and see that it's broken.

Actually I don't think the majority of white Americans are obsessed with black ppl?? I don't even have any idea what the obsession would be!

I am tired of hearing ALL ethnic/racial groups clamor for SPECIAL TREATMENT! Why can't we just all be Americans? Slavery was very wrong and it remains a very ugly stain on our nation's history. But how many ppl alive today owned slaves?? I don't know any.

Don't Americans realize that ALL ethnic groups were DISCRIMINATED against when they first came to this country?? I'm not advocating it and I don't support discrimination. But there are plenty of historical accounts of Irish, Polish, Italian, German, Jewish etc immigrants being taken advantage of by the established ethnic groups when they first entered this country. It sucks being the "new kid on the block" or the "new kid in town" or the "new kid at school" etc. It doesn't make it right but it isn't exactly a new concept that began with a particular ethnic/racial group.

If anything I guess a case could be made for why are black ppl obsessed with black ppl?? Why is there the cable channel BET(black entertainment television)?? Is "black entertainment" so different from "non-black" entertainment?? I thought stuff, in life, was either entertaining or not entertianing. I thought comedy was either funny or not funny. I didn't realize that each ethnic group had to have its own SEPARATE entertainment channel! Maybe we need WET(white entertainment television) and AET(asian entertainment television) etc. I thought the idea was that we all come together, as Americans, and retain some of our unique culture but lose some of it too as we "melt together in the American melting pot!"

As a country and as a society do we NEED affirmative action? You mean I can't be trusted, as an American citizen, to simply govern my own behavior? I "need" a government agency to keep me in check?? What happened to self reliance??

The Declaration of Independence says "We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are CREATED equal"...my translation is meaning in the sight of God the creator. The documents from the founding fathers don't guarantee ANY of us success, or wealth, or a house or healthcare etc. America used to stand for INDIVIDUAL OPPORTUNITY. It NEVER promised we would all BE equal. In all races and ethnicities there will be some ppl who will work harder and do better than their fellow citizen. That fact of life is not evidence to support that "institutional racism" exists!

I know in my life there have been times when I got a particular job because of my skin color. And I also know there have been times when I DIDN'T get a particular job based on my skin color. But I'm not responsible for someone else's racism. I am responsible for me and how I conduct myself and live my life.

Last edited by 84 Camaro; 11-23-2010 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because it was a serious comment.
Please resume your medication! I'll be the one to inform you of what I'm serious about and what I joke about. I can see you need a lot of direction!

Last edited by 84 Camaro; 11-23-2010 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM

301 posts, read 1,373,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Of course, there are other social factors as well. But other minority groups have risen, so why can't the AA? The only reason I could think of is that the AA community wants to segregate themselves away from the rest of the people. And in there, anger and resentment boils.
Other minorities don't have the same history as African Americans do in this country! Prior to the passage of the Civil Rights movements blacks where simply THE minority in the U.S. We were THE population that was religiously persecuted generation after generation following our 300 plus years of enslavement. OUR parents and grandparents are the ones in the black and white photos being busted upside the head with billy clubs and trampled by horses so that ALL the minorities seen in signifigant numbers TODAY can have the freedoms that they do in this country.

The fact that other minorities were rather scarce in most of the regions in the U.S. during those times means that previous generations were less likely to have gone through the same Hell that we had to go through. When we think of Americas "sad past" African Americans were always at the forefront often times accompanied with a horrific account of a lynching. When you talk about "anger and resentment" you must realize that a lot of those African Americans in those black and white photos are STILL alive and offer second hand accounts of their experiences to younger generations. This period of racial disharmony is not that far in our past yet.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
Other minorities don't have the same history as African Americans do in this country! Prior to the passage of the Civil Rights movements blacks where simply THE minority in the U.S. We were THE population that was religiously persecuted generation after generation following our 300 plus years of enslavement. OUR parents and grandparents are the ones in the black and white photos being busted upside the head with billy clubs and trampled by horses so that ALL the minorities seen in signifigant numbers TODAY can have the freedoms that they do in this country.

The fact that other minorities were rather scarce in most of the regions in the U.S. during those times means that previous generations were less likely to have gone through the same Hell that we had to go through. When we think of Americas "sad past" African Americans were always at the forefront often times accompanied with a horrific account of a lynching. When you talk about "anger and resentment" you must realize that a lot of those African Americans in those black and white photos are STILL alive and offer second hand accounts of their experiences to younger generations. This period of racial disharmony is not that far in our past yet.
So are you saying that the black ppl who experienced the racism of the 1960's recount those horrific events to the next generation and thereby keep the memory alive? A kind of never trust white people and never forget what SOME of the racist white people did to us? Because if that is what you are saying, then I think it's sad. Fueling the fires of past racism keeps the racial tension in place in my opinion.

Maybe white people should then tell their children not to trust black people? After all black people who can't get past what happened in the 1960's certainly don't have any reason to trust or like white people right?? Do you see the circuitous nature of this type of thinking?? The cycle of racial hatred needs to be broken. It won't be accomplished by a government agency or a government program!! You can't legislate morality!! The battle has to be fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM

301 posts, read 1,373,382 times
Quote:
So are you saying that the black ppl who experienced the racism of the 1960's recount those horrific events to the next generation and thereby keep the memory alive?
lol Dude the stories go way past the 1960's. My neighbor is 97 years old and can recount the experiences of black refugees who moved to my very street from the 1923 Tulsa race riot in which a white mob and the Tulsa police shot at random blacks from airplanes and burned Tulsa's "black Wallstreet" to the ground. Over 300 blacks were murdered in cold blood with no repercussions because of a white girls lie.

Quote:
A kind of never trust white people and never forget what SOME of the racist white people did to us?
No a type of "damn we went through some BS when I was coming up, yall have it good" attitude.

Quote:
Because if that is what you are saying, then I think it's sad.
So it's ok for older white folk to recount the "good ole times" (Pre civil rights era), but it's "sad" when the older black folk recounts when they couldn't go shopping at the local mall because of the color of their skin during those "good ole days". There is a double standard at work here.

Quote:
Fueling the fires of past racism keeps the racial tension in place in my opinion.
History is History dude. You have to take the good with the bad!

Quote:
Maybe white people should then tell their children not to trust black people? After all black people who can't get past what happened in the 1960's certainly don't have any reason to trust or like white people right??
SMH you're reaching a little too far. This can be dispelled by the Shirley Sherriod incident earlier this year. This older black woman has a legit reason to dislike white people, since her own father was murdered by the klan when she was a little girl. None the less while it stayed in her memory she was still able to mature enough to realize that most white people were good people and she didn't allow that major incident in her life to allow her to show prejudice to white farmers with her position in the her line of work.

Quote:
Do you see the circuitous nature of this type of thinking?? The cycle of racial hatred needs to be broken.
I personally can't speak on how the older generations of blacks should feel about this, and neither can any of you who have never been in their shoes. I can however say with certainty that the general black attitude towards whites has progressed from my grandmother to my mothers generation, and from my mother's generation to my own. Again as I stated earlier it was less than half a century ago when blacks when black citizenship in this country was not valued, THIS IS NOT THAT LONG AGO!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,425,076 times
Quote:
So are you saying that the black ppl who experienced the racism of the 1960's recount those horrific events to the next generation and thereby keep the memory alive? A kind of never trust white people and never forget what SOME of the racist white people did to us? Because if that is what you are saying, then I think it's sad. Fueling the fires of past racism keeps the racial tension in place in my opinion.

Maybe white people should then tell their children not to trust black people? After all black people who can't get past what happened in the 1960's certainly don't have any reason to trust or like white people right?? Do you see the circuitous nature of this type of thinking?? The cycle of racial hatred needs to be broken. It won't be accomplished by a government agency or a government program!! You can't legislate morality!! The battle has to be fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people!
Unfortunately, it's a lot deeper than your analysis here. The reality is that the current lot of whites is the result of an unspeakable evil committed on an entire race of black people for economic gain. Successive generations of descendants of whites benefited. Successive generations of descendents of slaves were negatively impacted. Such evil and subjugation had the effect of placing whites in this society at a higher vantage point than blacks. This has meant and continues to mean that whites enjoy an unearned privilege simply because of the color of their skin. Check the covers of the magazines at stands at ANY store to see this. The privilege is unearned because the color of the skin is the guiding factor, not the superiority of the race, the higher moral stand, the greater compassion, greater intellect, greater creativity, greater depth and versatility, or greater talent. As a result of the past, whites enjoy far greater consideration today than black people. Every black person travels further in an attempt to achieve equal status. A black lawyer has a far harder time of it than his white counterpart, beginning with taking the LSAT, then going through law school, then passing the bar exam, then being accepted and respected as a lawyer in a profession that has been called "the whitest profession." His white counterpart has it far easier. He takes the LSAT among people who look just like him. The test itself was written by people who look just like him. He attends law school with people who look just like him and it is more than likely that his professors look like him. He prepares for and takes the bar exam surrounded by people who look like him, then proceeds to job interviews and law firm work with people who look just like him. His road is far easier and he progresses through life with a "warm fuzzy" feeling, his only hardships being his own personal vices. Society prefers him because of the unearned privilege, a result of past events.

So when you talk to your kids, you do them a disservice if you don't reveal this reality. Being indifferent to this only makes you part of the problem. The shameful tragedy that has been perpetuated for centuries unfortunately finds its continuation in the conservative ideology. Conservatives work very hard to protect that "unearned privilege." Faced with a country that is increasingly comprised of minority people, they released a segment of their party to "take this country back" under the guise of "Christian values." The party does not denounce or reject members who could also be a part of the Klan. Bigots find a home in the party. Instead of seeking solutions to the inequities that have been perpetuated by bigots to the detriment of blacks for centuries, the Conservative party prefers to brand blacks as inferior, prone to criminal activities, and needing entitlements to succeed. Conservatives practice discrimination against blacks as a matter of course, then pretend it no longer exists to justify that pathetic "reverse racism" concept.

More and more blacks are doing well, despite the inequities, but this doesn't mean they no longer exist. Anyone who has spent any time around black people know that blacks are an extraordinary gifted people. The fear and insecurity that fails to acknowledge and recognize this is this society's greatest problem. Every effort should be made to uncover and eliminate bigotry by whites against black people. Whites like the Kennedys for instance have the superior position here and represent the solution. People like Beck and Palin obviously aggravate the problem. So recognize this.

If Vick and OJ are supported, it's because they are members of a race that is given the least of consideration, a race that has struggled to progress in a society where people would breathe a sigh of relief if blacks would simply disappear.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Hitler had how many followers? Thought so.

Yellow? I'm sorry you have hepatitis. Swish, two points not one, unless its a free throw. You'll get it.
How lame. Switching the topic just because you have nothing else to respond to? And are you insinuating that Black people have similar ideals to those of German citizen/Nazis that followed Hitler and Hitler himself?

I'll take the fall on my basketball knowledge seeing that I rather be successful in academia and in life

And I don't owe you squat to explain my position either since you are disrespectful and dismissing any other opinion other than your own limited and one-sided view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger
We were THE population that was religiously persecuted generation after generation following our 300 plus years of enslavement. OUR parents and grandparents are the ones in the black and white photos being busted upside the head with billy clubs and trampled by horses so that ALL the minorities seen in signifigant numbers TODAY can have the freedoms that they do in this country.

When you talk about "anger and resentment" you must realize that a lot of those African Americans in those black and white photos are STILL alive and offer second hand accounts of their experiences to younger generations. This period of racial disharmony is not that far in our past yet.
I appreciate the response and great points you make in your rebuttal

However, should having bitter ideals spread by the older generation continue to be accepted in the AA community? There's a fine line between educational history life lessons and implanting seeds of hatred in another person's mind.

And I will agree that racial equality in the world is far from complete, yet based on data collected, the AA community has not dragged itself out of the hold they were placed in. And progress is not really seen, especially when there are so many factors that hinder the potential growth. Care to expand?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,274,813 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;16766374]I'm sure he'll do just fine despite your opinion. Don't think he's losing sleep because of it.

And this is America...i thought being self-serving was ok.

It's a strange day when right wingers tell people what they should do with their money and blast people for being self serving. LOL...amazing.[/quote]

Right, because ONLY "right wingers" have a problem with Vick. NEWSFLASH! Your partianship is showing!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,274,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Now I can't speak for OJ, but as an Atlanta Falcons fan I did love me some Vick. I am an animal lover, and when it was revealed that he was involved in the fighting of dogs, I was sickened, and could never support him again.

Time passes: Vick served his sentence and continues to do service in the honor of animal rights. I personally believe that he has changed. I want to believe that he was just a product of his associations, of his background, of being where he was at the time it was, and I hope I'm right. I am glad that he is able to go on with his life, but I am equally glad that he is not "my" quarterback. Live and let live.

OJ? Not so much!
As a Falcons fan too I will glady take Matt Ryan ANYDAY over Michael Vick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies