Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Burdell, in my opinion, in accordance with what you just stated, "no one ever argued a fertilized egg wasn't life" this in reality is all one needs to know and understand.

The reality and what one needs to understand is that there is a difference between a fertilized egg, which is certainly human life, and a human being. I have yet to read a logical, reasoned argument that makes them the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The Democrat view that abortion should be legal, safe and rare need not be changed. Banning abortion would only drive the industry of abortion to the secretive underground where most people of sanity and sound reason certainly don't want it.

I agree, and I would never suggest that anyone who believes abortion is wrong should even consider one. And I have yet to see anything to convince me that Congress should be trusted to make moral judgements.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM

345 posts, read 203,631 times
So I say fantastic to you Toninole. I can tell you with what I perceive as a very good sense of reason and probability, that your daughter and quite a few more that post here might be one of the 40 million Saggy spoke about were it not for good people, likely Christians, I might add ,that talked you out of that decision. I too knew a young women, about to choose abortion, that talked herself out of it against the advice of well meaning abortionists.She had an outstanding child fostered by her grandparents. That child's child went on to parent other wonderful people, all of which have contributed greatly to this society. A real contrast to the watebasket babies that some posters here are brazen enough to suggest would have been burdens on society anyway.
I think what your lacking is you inability to presume that you made the right decision and that anyone else in that position would also be making the right decision. You not only made the right , you made the responsible decision and that is that.
Didn't say you had an eigth grade education rather said you might be following eigth grade science.
The reference to the 14 year old girl is just sarcasm to the willy nilly attitude to abortion that pro abortionists bring to the table. Which is to suggest, have all the unprotected irresponsible sex you want. You see, therein lies the answer as in my initial posts on the subject. Human responsibility, something a lot of folks know damn precious little about.
The way some of you folks crack on religion is the reason you get it back with me. All men ,that are not athiests, are agnostic -in my belief. An athiest is a fool in my belief.(Shall I post Confucious again?) A Christian relies on faith but cannot know. The thing that is beyond the scope of reason is ridicule of the personification of Christianity which is Jesus Christ. You might try reading the New Testament. Words attributed to Jesus Christ are simply beyond challenge within the scope of those words directed toward the ideal prescription for human harmony. Because of this I always question the unfounded ridicule of Christians. The same as I question the unfounded ridicule of the unborn.
In American contemporary society, there is no dogma, that exceeds in ignorance,- the dogma of secularism. Their is no contemporary religion more dogmatic than the religion of secularism. I hope your daughter provides a cure for cancer, invents a replacement for the combustible engine, saves a life, does some magnificent thing or just raises a family and lives happily ever after.
She escaped the bad judgement fate of 40 million, (Saggys figure), that will never have that opportunity, maybe just because someone didn't want to be bothered.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why Pro-Choice Is a Bad Choice for Democrats - New York Times

Highlight from the article:

Many of them, Catholic women in particular, are liberal, deep-in-their-heart Democrats who support social spending, who opposed the war from the start and who cross their arms over their chests reflexively when they say the word “Republican.” Some could fairly be described as desperate to find a way home. And if the party they’d prefer doesn’t send a car for them, with a really polite driver, it will have only itself to blame.

What would it take to win them back? Respect, for starters — and not only on the night of the candidate forum on faith. As it turns out, you cannot call people extremists and expect them to vote for you. But real respect would require an understanding that what supporters of abortion rights genuinely see as a hard-earned freedom, opponents genuinely see as a self-inflicted wound and — though I can feel some of you tensing as you read this — a human rights issue comparable to slavery.

Other than the fact that I am a man, not a woman, that describes me perfectly.
Wait a second... this makes no sense. How can a REAL CATHOLIC BE A LIBERAL???

Catholics do NOT believe in abortion and Liberals make it a point to ensure as many unborn babies can die in this country. How can this be??

You mean FAKE Catholics???

I am confused by this??? Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
The reference to the 14 year old girl is just sarcasm to the willy nilly attitude to abortion that pro abortionists bring to the table. Which is to suggest, have all the unprotected irresponsible sex you want. You see, therein lies the answer as in my initial posts on the subject. Human responsibility, something a lot of folks know damn precious little about.

And that's based on what other than personal belief?

And why should your beliefs be imposed on anyone else?

To answer the OP, it's statements like that that make me believe Pro-Choice is not a bad choice for any political party.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Back to the original topic of abortion and it's potential impact on the Democratic Party, the following poll results seems to indicate that support for some level of abortion rights should not be damaging:

Poll: Strong Support For Abortion Rights, Just 22 Percent Favor Ban On Abortion in CBS News Poll - CBS News

Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM

165 posts, read 564,200 times
Default This is essentially the bottom line...

[quote=GregW;1046042]I fail to see where being "pro-choice" forces anyone to have an abortion. Pro-choice only allows abortions to be available in a medically safe manner.

Poster this is the gist of it for me.

I have always been utterly confused about why this is such a hot button issue. Does it happen regularly or at all that people are forced to have an abortion when they don't want to? Another poster indicated that pro-life folks value the lives of the unborn. Okay. But do we impart our values on people who don't share them? Should we insist that they embrace our values? We should outlaw abortion which is a medical procedure because it offends some people's values? My understanding is that there are people of a certain faith who believe that people should not have blood transfusions. Should we ban this medical procedure because it offends the values of some people? I appreciate the emotions and passions for what one believes in, but I don't want everyone to adhere to my moral compass. I'm utterly sure that it might be quite unpleasant for some folks.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Although I previously posted that I don't feel the abortion issue damages the Democratic Party, due to national polling numbers and the fact that hard core anti abortion folks haven't voted Democrat anyway, I think the issue itself is kind of interesting.

If you really think about it, abortion is probably the single most polarizing issue in the national debate. I really wonder how many folks have no clear opinion about this issue.

When you look at gay rights, minimum wage, trade, economics, health care, immigration and so forth, the differences between both sides of the political spectrum is a bit blurred, no matter how advocates want to frame the issues. It really comes down to various degrees in the points of view. Some are adamant in either direction, but the vast majority of folks in both parties have varying views.

Abortion is the only issue I can think of that splits so clearly, with no compromise.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
I think the issue clearly splits as far as the ends of the spectrum. I think there are people in the middle where the feelings on this issue are mixed and who don't vote for a candidate based on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies