Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times

Advertisements

....Illustrate perfectly what's wrong with extreme left voters. The solution to everything is "tax the rich!" It's like one of those pull-cord toys that just repeats the same phrase all over.

Politicians: We need money to create government jobs
Extreme left voters: Tax the rich!

Politicians: We need money to extend UI benefits to the perpetually unemployed.

Politicians: We need money to create a new mass transit system that lower class citizens will be the predominate users of

Politicians: We're short on funds for police officers and government security.

Politicians: We need more money for social security and entitlement programs.

Politicians: Our libraries and schools are underfunded

Politicians: We need a new courthouse

Politicians: Well, what do you consider rich?
Extreme left voters: Anyone who makes more than I do!

Politicians: We did the math, and we've decided that you are rich.
Extreme left voters: Tax the...um, wait...what? Uhh, tax the rich....er!

I'm a centrist, but financially speaking I lean conservatively. And I find it more than a little offensive that so many of you guys want to rail against and insult me because I happened to make something of my life and became successful, but in the very same breath hold out your hand and ask me to pay for YOUR wants because you don't want to help pay for them yourselves.

And your reasons are never valid. "You woulda never got where you are without roads that WE built for you!". Um, you use those roads too, and you were compensated an agreed upon dollar amount to build them. Or "You can afford to pay your share and mine, too!". Yes. I can also afford to put on a Broadway production of "My Schlong and I". Doesn't mean I should have to do it. Or my personal favorite: "You didn't earn it anyways, you stole it from us or inherited it from someone who did!". Yeah, you caught me. Even though I see less than 50 cents of every dollar I make, I'm the one that's doing all the robbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
....Illustrate perfectly what's wrong with extreme left voters. The solution to everything is "tax the rich!" It's like one of those pull-cord toys that just repeats the same phrase all over.

Politicians: We need money to create a new mass transit system that lower class citizens will be the predominate users of

I'm a centrist, but financially speaking I lean conservatively. And I find it more than a little offensive that so many of you guys want to rail against and insult me because I happened to make something of my life and became successful, but in the very same breath hold out your hand and ask me to pay for YOUR wants because you don't want to help pay for them yourselves.

And your reasons are never valid. "You woulda never got where you are without roads that WE built for you!". Um, you use those roads too, and you were compensated an agreed upon dollar amount to build them. Or "You can afford to pay your share and mine, too!". Yes. I can also afford to put on a Broadway production of "My Schlong and I". Doesn't mean I should have to do it. Or my personal favorite: "You didn't earn it anyways, you stole it from us or inherited it from someone who did!". Yeah, you caught me. Even though I see less than 50 cents of every dollar I make, I'm the one that's doing all the robbing.
Great Post! +1

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,525,380 times
Quote:
I find it more than a little offensive that so many of you guys want to rail against and insult me because I happened to make something of my life and became successful, but in the very same breath hold out your hand and ask me to pay for YOUR wants because you don't want to help pay for them yourselves.
Very nicely put

Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 PM

764 posts, read 597,497 times
The tax cuts expiring for the rich could help pay for the extension of the tax cuts on the lower 98%. If all 100% get a tax cut, the GOP will have failed to keep their promise, because the deficit will go up. Part of the reason we are in the situation we are now is because the last administration cut taxes and increased military spending. The "new" (even though its the same old Republicans who stood by and said nothing as Bush increased spending, and the size of Government) GOP wants to do the same. It didn't work in the 80s, and it didn't work this past decade. Its not going to work now...

Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
The tax cuts expiring for the rich could help pay for the extension of the tax cuts on the lower 98%. If all 100% get a tax cut, the GOP will have failed to keep their promise, because the deficit will go up. Part of the reason we are in the situation we are now is because the last administration cut taxes and increased military spending. The "new" (even though its the same old Republicans who stood by and said nothing as Bush increased spending, and the size of Government) GOP wants to do the same. It didn't work in the 80s, and it didn't work this past decade. Its not going to work now...

Well, at least you admit that your goal is to just have the top 2% subsidize the rest of you. I think that's probably just a nice way of saying "Hey, let me into your pockets", but at least you're honest about it.

See, the problem with your argument, however, is that extending already in-place cuts will not make the deficit go up. Spending more makes the deficit go up. Again, cutting spending is miraculous for cutting deficits.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 PM

764 posts, read 597,497 times
Quote:
Well, at least you admit that your goal is to just have the top 2% subsidize the rest of you. I think that's probably just a nice way of saying "Hey, let me into your pockets", but at least you're honest about it.

See, the problem with your argument, however, is that extending already in-place cuts will not make the deficit go up. Spending more makes the deficit go up. Again, cutting spending is miraculous for cutting deficits.
Republicans having fiscal responsibility is a myth. They won't cut spending...

Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Good thing we filled some of those RINO positions with real Conservatives this past November.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:

Love it!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
They are already on board to raise it in a few different ways and they haven't even moved in yet. Tea Party types equal chumps.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
It depends on the distribution of wealth. If the top 2% are doing better and better in terms of the percentage of wealth they hold while other income groups are stagnant or dropping, they'll have to be taxed more no matter what (unless we want to disband much of the military and default on some of our debt obligations).

And actually, "top 2%" is probably too broad. The top 0.2% is aggregating wealth quite a bit more rapidly than those who are merely between the top 2% and the top 1.9%, for example.

As such, $250,000 is somewhat low. $750,000 to $1 million would make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies