Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How do you know? Trees have been known to grow more than 1 ring in a year.

Having said that, I wouldn't be bothered with a 9000 year old earth.

Try reading the link I provided...it talks about several. Hit up Google. It can do wonders for your curiosity. Honestly....I don't think it would change your mind if I gave you an exhaustive list.

Prove the earth is 4 Billion years old. You're making the statement of old age. Prove the Bible is false.
The Egyptians built the pyramids to protect their kings from dinosaurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Quote:
The rings only show the rate of growth of the tree. And from the rate of growth, you can determine how old the tree is.

Quote:
How about over 13000 years old?

Quote:
Try reading the link I provided...it talks about several.
No, it doesn't. All it does is rather badly try to discount current methods of dating.

And I do mean rather badly.

It's like they don't even have a concept of geological science, much less science in general.

Quote:
Hit up Google.
I did. And all I can find is laughably bad pseudo-science methods of dating which are bad science in every case.

Quote:
Prove the earth is 4 Billion years old. You're making the statement of old age.
Okay.

Quote:
Prove the Bible is false.
Proving the earth is 4 Billion years old doesn't disprove the Bible.

It just shows how silly it is to take a document of metaphors and take it as literal fact.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
The rings only show the rate of growth of the tree. And from the rate of growth, you can determine how old the tree is.
I believe I misspoke, actually...I was referring to ice cores. I'm sorry...I was confused. The ice cores had been known to thaw and freeze, causing an incorrect # of years to be counted.
I wouldn't have an issue with 13,000 years. But I did notice that their dating method of that tree shows the projection based on the "current rate of growth". How do they know it hasn't slowed down considerably? Or sped up, for that matter?
Quote:

No, it doesn't. All it does is rather badly try to discount current methods of dating.

And I do mean rather badly.

It's like they don't even have a concept of geological science, much less science in general.

I did. And all I can find is laughably bad pseudo-science methods of dating which are bad science in every case.
lol...ok. You discount my links w/out actually addressing the points.
Quote:
Okay.
Sorry...that site is bad science. And I mean badly. As in laughably bad pseudo-science.

Quote:
Proving the earth is 4 Billion years old doesn't disprove the Bible.

It just shows how silly it is to take a document of metaphors and take it as literal fact.
Guess if you're willing to believe the evolution fairy tale you won't believe anything.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:

Try reading the link I provided...it talks about several. Hit up Google. It can do wonders for your curiosity. Honestly....I don't think it would change your mind if I gave you an exhaustive list.

Prove the earth is 4 Billion years old. You're making the statement of old age. Prove the Bible is false.
We have lunar rock samples that prove both. Because there is no volcanic activity on the moon, the rocks there are very old and have been lead-lead dated.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
We have lunar rock samples that prove both. Because there is no volcanic activity on the moon, the rocks there are very old and have been lead-lead dated.
And you can prove that how? There are also dating methods regarding the moon that point to a young earth. For instance, the moon moves away from the earth a small amount every year...if it's billions of years old, where was it 2 billions years ago?

The dust on the moon should be very very deep. I believe it was only a few inches deep when the astronauts stepped onto it.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Honestly? The koran is a book of crazy ramblings of a mad man. It's violent and orders its readers to do violent acts.
Funny, I'd say the same thing... about the Bible.

But no, neither the bible nor the Koran are civil or particularly good etiquette guides. They are alegorical myths that speak to the values, wants and needs of their respective cultures and are readily adaptable and/or interpretable to varying circumstances as times change.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Look, I've already shown "some people" that Jesus said to follow Mosaic law with quotes from the bible.

All I got was "nanana I can't hear you".

Do you think they'll actually listen to scientific evidence?

Some folks religion is so shaken by facts that they ignore things that are staring them directly in the face.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Christians are a rather odd man out, as you started with Catholicism and then it's structures were diluted in the reformation which removed much of the former pageantry.
Diluted or rid of chaff? The editorial process has the potential to rid the wheat and elevate the chaff.

Quote:
It then has fragmented into countless sects from Baptist to Methodist, to Presbyterian, to Mormonism, to whatever your heart can imagine. They all have the same book but have picked and chosen which aspects of the original work they wish to believe, then condemn everyone not like them as heathen like. Funny isn't it. Today Christianity isn't even about civility, its about religion al a carte' or individualism religion where anyone can pick the flavor they want, some more civil some more rule and structure oriented.
I acknowledge your criticism as having some validity in it's observation, but I disagree with your conclusion. If you can view this splintering of Christendom as the difference in what one apostle saw from another, they would be better served as separate groups studying the depth of the meaning, living it out themselves as examples, then return to one another with independent conclusions that get shared in the larger Christian community. Something of a Christian Supreme court of Biblical interpretation.
I also believe the reasoning behind why each has chosen separate path needs to be looked upon not as disloyalty, but an act of preserving an aspect of scripture they believe has been neglected. I cannot live a life of Amish but I can see the example they uphold as noble. Christians should learn more from one another but when orientated as salesmen defending territories and market share, it becomes destructive/ antithetical to the core teachings. The rock of the church, Peter's instructions, have been given wild license. That's how Santeria is birthed, then claim Christendom is under attack by the very thing forced upon the masses.

Quote:
Same pretty much holds true for religion, as everyone who adjoins with a particular faith will see their own faith as better, more complex, nuanced and "perfected", thus superior than others.
The only way I could see around all this is to distance myself from organized religion entirely and go deeper into the bible itself. I stand accused with ready made excuse that I'm a pick and choose Catholic, when it's precisely the thing I've been burdened with in the pews. This upside down world we're living in where criminals are the first to accuse others of what they themselves are doing needs air and light once and for all. How can I forgive them when the crime continues?

The burdens put upon clergy to have answers for all things at all times is in effect demanding they be Jesus for us. Learned scholars are to be admired but not fill in the blanks of unanswered inquiry. It's not a crime to say you don't know, unless of course you're wearing a Papal hat and boxed yourself into a corner by papal decrees. They've done this to themselves. Let the unanswered questions send them back to their studies or the teachings themselves will get lost in translation if not for the flock balancing things out doing their own homework.

Being too reliant on authority as expert harms Christianity IMO. The authoritarian habit sells this notion, and with noblest intents to serve, engage in misleading or offering up false mission statements. This includes but is not limited to Holy wars and wars on poverty decorating lepers. We are very far from teaching a man to fish, and the whole of womankind being an afterthought in the eyes of 12 apostles, none seem to comprehend that teaching a woman to fish is applicable to the majority of the planet. Talk about pick and choose!

I'm Catholic no matter where I go and no matter if I should ever be excommunicated. I am not beyond reproach. No Christian individual or sect is. When in doubt, go back to the book. Today Christians in doubt are being instructed to conduct a war on moral relativism, further distracting them from internal examination & self discipline. Holier than thou arguments asserted by Christians making their way into politics can only be answered one way... what would Jesus do?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Funny, I'd say the same thing... about the Bible.
And you would be wrong.
Quote:

But no, neither the bible nor the Koran are civil or particularly good etiquette guides. They are alegorical myths that speak to the values, wants and needs of their respective cultures and are readily adaptable and/or interpretable to varying circumstances as times change.
Neither one are allegory, to be honest. They just don't really present themselves as such.

I don't get the post-modern type of view where you think you can change things to match whatever you want.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:

Neither one are allegory, to be honest. They just don't really present themselves as such.

I don't get the post-modern type of view where you think you can change things to match whatever you want.
Well, they sure as hell aren't history, though I'm sure you would beg to differ.

Luckily the world has grown up so much that even the bible can't be shoehorned into an accurate world view, so it will soon be relegated to the status cultural kitsh where it belongs.

Eventually the Muslims will get their enlightenment too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies