Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well, they sure as hell aren't history, though I'm sure you would beg to differ.

Luckily the world has grown up so much that even the bible can't be shoehorned into an accurate world view, so it will soon be relegated to the status cultural kitsh where it belongs.

Eventually the Muslims will get their enlightenment too.
Why isn't the Bible history? There is a lot of archaelogical evidence that affirms a lot of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Sure looks like it.
I'm not trying to convert you to anything, but would like to point out how badly misrepresented those who do practice what they preach in their lives have been represented. If you could have met my grandmother you'd know the difference between what's real and what's for sale.

Speaking of which it reminds me of a bake sale where adults were engaged in petty bickering over cookies (meant for charity). Out of the mouths of babes I asked her why adults were mad about cookies. She smirked, tried her level best not to laugh, and said... "I'm glad you noticed". And I got a cookie.

Now, what do you think you know about WV? What do you know about Christians? Are you very sure your own value system wasn't predicated upon the example she (and many others) set living out their lives honorably?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why isn't the Bible history? There is a lot of archaelogical evidence that affirms a lot of the Bible.
Because snakes don't talk, the entire world has never been flooded, languages aren't created by angry gods smashing towers, plagues don't afflict only first-born children, the dead don't rise after 3 days and the world is actually 4.5 billion years old, not 6000. Just to name a few reasons...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
The Bible is more civil than the Koran because of the New Testament.

Fundamentalist Christians are the Jews of the Old Testament, and the ugly people of the Koran.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Because snakes don't talk,
How do you know the snake couldn't talk at that time? God had just formed Adam and Eve from clay. Or perhaps Satan just appeared as a snake.
Quote:

the entire world has never been flooded,
You sure about that? There is evidence of a global flood, along with numerous flood legends in many different cultures from around the world that would seem to indicate that perhaps they are based off of some element of truth.
Quote:
languages aren't created by angry gods smashing towers
You sure about that? If they all spoke the same language at first, why would they change to new languages?
Quote:
, plagues don't afflict only first-born children,
One plague did.
Quote:
the dead don't rise after 3 days
Jesus did. He also raised Lazarus.
Quote:
and the world is actually 4.5 billion years old, not 6000.
Based on your faulty evidence, you believe it is. I get that.
Quote:
Just to name a few reasons...
Got any good reasons?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
The koran is a collection of mindless babblings by a madman. The Bible is 66 books written by different authors at different times, all in agreement.

The koran has some definite problems to it. For instance, it teaches that a man's "seed" comes from his chest.
You could equally interpret that as a crude expression of his seed coming from his soul. I view the Koran as one mans view of the world in the framework of human growth and development stages. Middle aged men do wrestle with their demons at the point where their prophet departs from teachings of peace to teachings of retribution and violence. Saying this aloud might get me killed in a Muslim country but then again so will an atheist imagining there is no country be killed by a Christian country. I'm thinking people not walking their talk should be held accountable for their deviation and not be permitted to hide behind a flag of loyalty. Misrepresentation is a climate of malevolence, ignorance, and dishonor.

Quote:
The Bible records things that happened---it doesn't tell Christians to carry out the violence.
You need to assert that statement to AGO at their next banquet in DC. They are hijacking Christendom convinced they're 'freedom fighters'.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You equate complexity to truthfullness, or are you just stating your opinion of these books as a comparison?

Just asking because i wouldn't think that complexity should mean anything.
Consider the reasoning behind the teachings of Jesus being told in parable form. It's a higher level of discernment intended for individuals to embrace directly for themselves, not as an organized herd. The departure from Judaic tradition, the thing trying to be averted, was to resist the heavy handed thou shalt nots that boxed people into irrational thinking. By religious law attempting to manage secular life a doctor would be stoned to death for healing the sick on the Sabbath. Irrational. The problem is that Christian teachings do not translate into secular law form very well at all. There is a reason for that and people should not be animating themselves to create a theocracy or risk becoming a nation serving itself believing itself to be God.

Our laws are predicated on Judaic tradition and in every way we see shortcomings in those laws, we see the mistake in approach that Jesus attempted to correct. I believe the animosity in America towards Jews is in many ways fueled by this dynamic within our own justice system. Some Christians feel they are being instructed how to be Jewish by writ, and examining their assertions objectively, their argument does have weight even if I disagree that Jews as a population conspire against me or anyone. Equal time the argument some Christians have against Jews is the same argument Atheists have with religion itself. Seems we need to have a new framework of criteria for lawmaking.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I think the Biblical writer realized that. The fact that scientists today don't consider them the same type of animal is irrelevant.
The Bible as history book...
The Biblical writer was a mortal male limited in his ability to communicate, and also to comprehend fully what it was he was witnessing. This is not actually at odds with science, I agree, but to presume so much infallibility to witnesses in Biblical times comes the danger of worshiping an apostle, or worshiping Jesus alone, where the over arching Godhead is displaced by myopia. Our ability as humans is limited in ability to perceive, comprehend, and communicate and as such should humble us all equally if we are earnest in practice.

Jesus did not come as a mason to etch tablets of thou shalt. He was a carpenter. His other career was 'a fisher of men'. Why?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
In my opinion (and I hasten to add that I am not a practicing Christian or Muslim), the real beauty of Biblical Christianity is not only that it can be manifested as a metaphor for expressing existence as loving kindness, but that so many of its adherents do so.

The probems with Koranic Islam, as I see it, are, first, that so few of its adherents are willing to forego its literal interpretation and accept the possiblity that metaphorical representations are a better way to go than to cling to a seventh-century iteration of martial sectarianism, which includes among its tenets a basic intolerance for the existence of any other essential spiritual truth; and second, that so many of its most fervid believers define themselves by an enthusiastic eagerness to commit murder in its name...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Well, they sure as hell aren't history, though I'm sure you would beg to differ.

Luckily the world has grown up so much that even the bible can't be shoehorned into an accurate world view, so it will soon be relegated to the status cultural kitsh where it belongs.

Eventually the Muslims will get their enlightenment too.
And WHERE praytell did such a megalomaniacal notion come from???

OPPS! Don't look too closely... IT'S ANOTHER RELIGION!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies