Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Unemployment was awesome for me. I stayed at my grandmas house rent free out in the sticks and saved every penny of my benefits while basically taking an 8 month vacation remodeling here home and going fishing almost every day. after paying off a pile of bills and saving up about 6 grand I relocated to another state and collected benefits for another 2 months while I searched for a new job.
without unemployment I would still be stuck up north making half of what I was at some temp dead end job waiting for the economy to recover but instead I'm living it up on the beach with a great new job and no debt.
Unemployment is designed so that you can survive while looking for work. That's not what you used it for. You used it to essentially have the government pay your pre-existing debts for you. You didn't use it to keep yourself afloat. Unemployment is only supposed to last 26 weeks, or 6 months. You admit you collected for 10, and only seriously looked for work for 2 of those months.

You're exactly the type of person that makes this whole thing a debate as to whether to allow it to continue or not in the first place. You defrauded/gamed/abused the system.

I don't care that you're back in the workforce and you're better off now than you were then. If your endgame was to end up somewhere with a beach, then you should have gone there straight off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Unemployment is designed so that you can survive while looking for work. That's not what you used it for. You used it to essentially have the government pay your pre-existing debts for you. You didn't use it to keep yourself afloat. Unemployment is only supposed to last 26 weeks, or 6 months. You admit you collected for 10, and only seriously looked for work for 2 of those months.

You're exactly the type of person that makes this whole thing a debate as to whether to allow it to continue or not in the first place. You defrauded/gamed/abused the system.

I don't care that you're back in the workforce and you're better off now than you were then. If your endgame was to end up somewhere with a beach, then you should have gone there straight off.
LOL....must grate on you that this guy DARED to enjoy himself,helped his family out AND bettered his situation.

We ALL know the unemployed should be genuflecting at your feet.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
He helped his family out and improved his situation...

Oops,he also didn't feel bad and worry...silly guy.
Right, b/c I'm responsible for paying off this guy's debt, sending him on fishing trips, paying relocation expenses, etc.? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He had no worries except for maybe how he was gonna cook his fish that night.

ETA: UE is so you can look for another job. So, this guy looked for a job for 2 out of the 10 months he rec'd UE, which means he was lying for the rest of the time and scamming the system. How disgusting, and for the kicker, he's proud of himself. And you want to tell me abuse doesn't happen.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Funemployment: Jobless young San Franciscans are welcoming the worst recession of their lives with open arms. Too bad the party can't last forever. - Page 1 - Music - San Francisco - SF Weekly

Yeah, read this. This is what upsets people. People who have no wants or desires to get a job. They figure, "Why? I have years of money coming in. I'll have: funemployment."

Dead beat losers: Get a job. Most aren't even looking.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM

It DOES seem to be that those who currently have work our angry that the people on unemployment aren't eternally grateful to them...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Right, b/c I'm responsible for paying off this guy's debt, sending him on fishing trips, paying relocation expenses, etc.? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He had no worries except for maybe how he was gonna cook his fish that night.
Nope,you didn't.

That might make you FEEL superior but you didn't pay squat.

It must grate on your nerves that someone DARES to not be miserable while on unemployment...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Nope,you didn't.

That might make you FEEL superior but you didn't pay squat.

It must grate on your nerves that someone DARES to not be miserable while on unemployment...
Yes, he did pay, and so did I. How? Those extensions had to be paid for somehow. How do you think that is? By using Federal dollars. Where do Federal dollars come from? OUR TAXES.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Btw, you can likely get disability if you have cancer and are unable to work.
Who pays for disability?
Surely not other taxpayers...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
LOL....must grate on you that this guy DARED to enjoy himself,helped his family out AND bettered his situation.

We ALL know the unemployed should be genuflecting at your feet.
I don't care that he helped his family out. I don't care that he went fishing every day. I care that he collected money that came out of Federal bank accounts funded by MY taxes (you know, the taxes that I don't "pay my fair share on" since I have the audacity to work and be successful, which means I should pay my share and yours), and then used that money to pay down debt HE INCURRED. He wasn't using that money to keep himself fed or with a roof over his head. He was using it to pay off that Playstation 3 he put on credit or his big screen TV or a new set of rims for his car.

He's a thief, plain and simple. And if you applaud him for it, you're no damn better. This is the EXACT type of example taht speaks volumes as to the narcissim of so many people in America and the entitlement mentality they have. And I'll bet this is the same type of guy who screams from the rooftops that because I make a certain amount of money that my taxes should go up to in part subsidize his lifestyle.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
UE is NOT about having fun! Have you lost your marbles? Sure, he helped out his grandma, it's the least he can do for staying at her house rent-free for 8 months. Sure, he bettered his situation, but 1) he did it on the taxpayer's dime and 2) he could have saved his OWN money up for his big move to the beach without wasting tax money. This is ridiculous and I don't know why anyone would be okay with this kind of behavior. This person singlehandedly made my point for me, in all honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies