Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 10,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I think we've come full circle now. It's becoming more and more clear that you'd rather people sit back and collect UE b/c it's a waste of life to work.
Says who? Maybe if you grind out a shift that can be done by a chimpanzee, and may be soon, but work as far as I'm concerned is a nonstop game of scrabble, problem solving, intellectual gymnastics which I find exhilarating. Sometimes I even do it in the evenings or weekends for fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you like SOME welfare....you just want to choose who gets it.

Do you have ANY figures to back up your suppositions?
We've been over this. There is no way to measure the fraud within these welfare programs.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB12 View Post
Of course not. I just find it interesting that people declare there aren't much in the way of good jobs out there and I've hired 5 professionals or so within the last couple months, and am still looking because the 6 figure salary I can afford for the 6th might not be enough.
Good jobs differ from person to person and qualifications...although I do believe those with degrees are finder it more and more difficult to find work...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB12 View Post
Says who? Maybe if you grind out a shift that can be done by a chimpanzee, and may be soon, but work as far as I'm concerned is a nonstop game of scrabble, problem solving, intellectual gymnastics which I find exhilarating. Sometimes I even do it in the evenings or weekends for fun!
Hope it works for you,sounds horrible to think work is your life.

But then Americans have a weird attitude to life....

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
We've been over this. There is no way to measure the fraud within these welfare programs.
So....you are making crap up...

I think no-one EVER has abused unemployment...and have EXACTLY the same facts as you do....

Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Of course there is.
The first step would be personal accountability.
Why dont you report the "relative" that you claim is scamming the system?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 PM

12 posts, read 10,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. The government has no money other than what it collects from working taxpayers.
Second largest source of revenue for the federal government is lease sales and royalties on mineral resources. So sure the government has money from other than what it collects from working taxpayers.

People around here spend too much time on IT topics seems like.

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't care that he helped his family out. I don't care that he went fishing every day. I care that he collected money that came out of Federal bank accounts funded by MY taxes (you know, the taxes that I don't "pay my fair share on" since I have the audacity to work and be successful, which means I should pay my share and yours), and then used that money to pay down debt HE INCURRED. He wasn't using that money to keep himself fed or with a roof over his head. He was using it to pay off that Playstation 3 he put on credit or his big screen TV or a new set of rims for his car.

He's a thief, plain and simple. And if you applaud him for it, you're no damn better. This is the EXACT type of example taht speaks volumes as to the narcissim of so many people in America and the entitlement mentality they have. And I'll bet this is the same type of guy who screams from the rooftops that because I make a certain amount of money that my taxes should go up to in part subsidize his lifestyle.
There is nothing in unemployment compensation laws that dictates how you should or should not spend the compensation you get. If you've paid into the system, you are entitled to unemployment benefits if you loose your job. The only requirement is that you look for a job every week, and are available to work if one is offered to you. If you want to apply for jobs while cruising on a yacht that's your choice. You have to work to get unemployment, which means he paid taxes too.
Your not confusing unemployment with welfare are you

In his defense, he might have learned many remodeling skills at his grandma's home, not to mention he helped
out an elderly person. Looks like he got back on his feet
and was gainfully employed in less than a year. I give him a .

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
I didn't pay squat? Let me explain. My husband is the operating partner of a restaurant (read: he owns it). His business pays FUTA and SUTA. His bonus check is based on profits, profits that are less now that UE is high and the UI rates went up. He also gets dividends on profits, which are again made less due to having to pay UI. So, yes, money for the unemployed IS coming out of our pockets. It has nothing to do with feeling superior. If you paid taxes, you would know how frustrating it is to work your butt off just so someone else can sit on their butt all day and not lift a finger.

Again, I will point out that UE is not supposed to be fun. This is the one main problem I have with UE in general and extensions in particular...people think it's fun and games and it's time to take a lazy vacation. If the gov't knew this was going on and could prove it, you'd have to pay that money back. Too bad our reps don't enforce any kind of watchdogging on welfare programs to reduce fraud and waste.

This is where so many people, usually on the right are so wrong......
in some towns, there are simply in a way, NO JOBS!
Even those that are survival jobs, granted Seattle/Tacoma, compared to the rest of the country is somewhere in the middle as far as employment and job loss, however even there in Spring of 2009, they had almost 800 people show up for a job fair for positions of.......
a minor league baseball team for 5 months of work..

http://tampa.yankees.milb.com/gen/ar...10/c522258.jsp

the average positions, that pay an average wage (not survival jobs that teenagers or retirees used to be predominant in), will have at least 100 people applying for one job.....that was more like 10 to 20, 10 years ago.....
and for those that say, well why don't these people get off their asses and work at fast food or janitorial.....again, if you're hiring in those places like that, why would they want to hire someone who is overqualified or big time overqualified, when they know they will split after something else up their alley comes along?
The USA is falling apart and thanks to a mean spirit, could almost have a civil war, in 2012 (with the elections).

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
There is nothing in unemployment compensation laws that dictates how you should or should not spend the compensation you get. If you've paid into the system, you are entitled to unemployment benefits if you loose your job. The only requirement is that you look for a job every week, and are available to work if one is offered to you. If you want to apply for jobs while cruising on a yacht that's your choice. You have to work to get unemployment, which means he paid taxes too.
Your not confusing unemployment with welfare are you

In his defense, he might have learned many remodeling skills at his grandma's home, not to mention he helped
out an elderly person. Looks like he got back on his feet
and was gainfully employed in less than a year. I give him a .
LOL...it REALLY PO's some people....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies