Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
Because this is America and they can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,993 times
I don't see what's so good about large houses. It's especially stupid to have them if only one person lives in it who's filthy rich. If they have party's in it then I sort of understand the size. I'd just buy a house that fits my needs and has a good view if I wanted a dream home.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
To each his/her own. Like I said, I HATE stuff so I don't need or want storage space, even clothes, I give tons away every year. My small house does have a large kitchen, and an amazing double shower so one doesn't necessarily need a huge house to get those things. I prefer going out for entertainment, I love my home to be my cozy haven. I'm not criticizing you for choosing a different way, people should do whatever is right for them, I do think some people don't really think enough about what they are doing, or choosing (in general, not you).

I don't think every person who has a huge house is using it as a status symbol, but I do think our culture encourages people to buy as big as they can afford, with no regard to whether they need the space or not. I could afford a bigger house, I looked at some, but obviously I don't want or need one, if I were to buy one just to show how successful I was it would be dumb and wasteful. I'd rather spend the extra money on travel, culture, and sometimes supporting myself while I enjoy life more by working less (I'm self employed).

Yes, I agree. We exercised a little restraint to save more for retirement.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I don't see what's so good about large houses. It's especially stupid to have them if only one person lives in it who's filthy rich. If they have party's in it then I sort of understand the size. I'd just buy a house that fits my needs and has a good view if I wanted a dream home.
This is not only one hell of a (modest) dream home, but it's also my favorite thread in all of CD: //www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html
So, to the nay sayers, happiness is all the proof needed. If Mike and Lisa wanted to throw a large party I believe the cows would greet and/or make room for company.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I'm all about quality over quantity. My 1800 sq foot bunglaow is small by today's standard and less than 1/2 the size of most other houses in my neighborhood... but I wouldn't trade it for any of my neighbor's new mcmansions that sprouted up in the former farmland all around me.

My house takes "overbuilt" to a new level; it's got an almost 2 foot thick foundation, 16" exterior masonry walls, almost 3"X12" floor joists, thick plaster walls, hardwood floors and moldings; everything you'd expect in a top-of-the-line early 20th century craftsman home and on a larger than average (for my area) piece of land with huge hardwood trees and a 1000 sq ft garage of more recent vintage. It's also on the National Historic Register.

Yet it appraises at half the value of the mcmansions because appraisers only seem to value square footage. Silly monkeys!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM

105 posts, read 287,096 times
I grew up in a split-level (bi-level) home and our family always hosted the majority of the holidays and also had many relatives staying over. While the company was fun and enjoyable, I also remember the issues (lack of space, smaller kitchen, few bathrooms) which presented themselves. Because of this, we're in the process and about to close on a home around 3500 square feet not to show off but to continue the many traditions of hosting for holidays, etc. We don't want anyone to feel like they are intruding or becoming a nuisance because of the lack of space but want everyone to feel welcome.

But first and foremost, we made the decision to purchase a larger home based upon our financial situation, we could care less about impressing anyone. What's better are the people who spend 400k+ on a 950 square foot location in a city.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
It's all relative. I grew up in a 12K sq ft home. When I went home shopping as an adult, I wanted a really small home...got about 3,000 sq ft. So, that's big to some but seemed small to me. We're building a new home shortly and will likely be a tiny bit bigger but the layout is the key. Our current home is traditional with formal rooms. Hate those and never use them. My new home will be more open with decent sized rooms so my entire family (which comes over ALL the time) will have plenty of room when they visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies