Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,444,800 times

Advertisements

Yes and I don't see how that post has anything to do with your rude and agressive behavior. I can and do answer questions daily to people for whom I have respect.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, I did not and why would you care if I did?????

Here's the post and NO where did I insult you:

"""""Are you talking about those "morally corrupt" people who do so much for the needy ?

Saying Happy Holidays is abandoning christian principles??

Guess what? Thankfully they don't give a damn about the tender sensibilities of fanatic W E A K christians....they care about the poor...is THAT abandoning "christian" principles????

Nevermind, you never can answer questions...."""""

Did you read post 281?
See my previous post.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,206,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And a fully cooked Prime Rib Roast for $14.99 AND VINTAGE ALE.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ARE HERE AGAIN
$14.99 !!! TJ's is awesome, think I'll do a little "worshipping" there myself!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 PM

37,193 posts, read 42,384,789 times
Everyone needs to stop and ask themselves this queston: would a greeting of "Happy Holidays" from anyone, including the bell ringer for the Salvation Army, have raised any eyebrows 20, 30, 40+ years ago? I think not. Seems to me certain talking heads have convinced some people today that their very way of life is being threatened because someone didn't say "Merry Christmas" to them.

I'm not a christian or a believer in anything religious but I'll say "Merry Christmas" to you until I'm blue in the face if it will make this all go away. It means nothing to me nor to most people who say it..store clerks, bell ringers, gas station attendents, waitstaff, etc.. At least it doesn't mean what YOU want it to mean. You can't make THAT happen.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,831,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Political correctness kills culture. In a liberal's perfect world, everybody would be rendered into nothingness and there would be no celebrations of any kind so that nobody would be offended by anything.
That's one of the most stupid damned things I ever read. Hell, most of the liberals I know are Catholics. And I'll happily offend the likes of you.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 PM

It definitely would have raised eyebrows 20 years ago when the Salvation Army required recipients of their charity to attend sermons to receive charity.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

37,193 posts, read 42,384,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
mackinac81 do you find it strange that a christian organization like the Salvation Army chooses now to leave out the Christ in this season?
You got that from one bell ringers "Happy Holidays" greeting? If I had that job I'd probably say a variety of things. Try saying ANYTHING 10,000 times a day and see how it feels.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Everyone needs to stop and ask themselves this queston: would a greeting of "Happy Holidays" from anyone, including the bell ringer for the Salvation Army, have raised any eyebrows 20, 30, 40+ years ago? I think not. Seems to me certain talking heads have convinced some people today that their very way of life is being threatened because someone didn't say "Merry Christmas" to them.

I'm not a christian or a believer in anything religious but I'll say "Merry Christmas" to you until I'm blue in the face if it will make this all go away. It means nothing to me nor to most people who say it..store clerks, bell ringers, gas station attendents, waitstaff, etc.. At least it doesn't mean what YOU want it to mean. You can't make THAT happen.
It definitely would have raised eyebrows back in the day when the Salvation Army required recipients of their charities to attend a sermon prior to receiving the charity. Happy Holidays would not have cut it back in the day when the Salvation Army was all about bringing people to Christ.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You got that from one bell ringers "Happy Holidays" greeting? If I had that job I'd probably say a variety of things. Try saying ANYTHING 10,000 times a day and see how it feels.
The lady told me she was told not to say Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,763,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
"Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

The "reason for the season" wasn't for people to feel all warm and cozy by thinking everyone else acknowledged or gave importance to Christmas. Seems the trend of American Christianity to stress one's personal relationship with God and personal salvation, to the near-exclusion of the message of tendering to the poor, the needy, the downtrodden, the oppressed and marginalized, has resulted in people thinking Christmas is all about them and their sensitivities.

There are people living on the streets freezing this month. Do something for them as a way to honor Christmas, rather than huff about whether stores "celebrate" Christmas or not.
Like the wedding I attended this afternoon. All of us got to bring home some of the leftover food and what wasn't taken by a guest, the bride and groom planned to distribute to some of the homeless people who hang out on and near the Strip rather than have it end up in the restaurant's garbage disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies