Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,507,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
No I'm calling it what it is.....hearsay. Were you present at the discussions?
I tend to not to call my Uncle who is ex-military and did 3 tours in Vietnam a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,224,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I tend to not to call my Uncle who is ex-military and did 3 tours in Vietnam a liar.
Doesn't change the fact that what you posted is hearsay.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,974,629 times
Quote:
What (specifically) makes the US military different? Why were these 37 militaries able to adapt to open homosexuals in their ranks easily and without issues whereas for the US military to do so will be difficult and come with many issues? I would really appreciate if you'd address that question.
Didn't you read the article? We are supposed to shut up and not ask the question. How can you take an article seriously that includes...

For the leftist idiots who will scream the meme that, "every other nation on the planet already does it," shut up!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You completely failed to address the question I asked. Here we go again.
Quote:
You fear that allowing open homosexuals to serve in the US military will cause a great many serious problems - negative "fallout" as you call it.
I've been told "open homosexual" means gays can serve without fear of being discharged if they tell someone they're homosexual. DADT was instituted for the protection of homosexual service members. Time will tell what happens.

Quote:
You're so confident of this you go so far as to say that people who disagree with you and believe the integration will be smooth are "delusional".
You are deluded if you are unprepared for whatever fallout comes from repealing DADT. I will say again time will tell. And it will. DADT was put into effect for the protection of homosexual service members.

Quote:
I present you with evidence. Over the 35 or so years, 37 countries have converted from not allowing homosexuals to serve to allowing open homosexuals to serve in the military. They've all done so without separate accommodation of any kind. In those militaries, there have been no problems whatsoever. No mass exodus - No problems with retention - No decline in recruiting - No increase in sexual assaults - No increase in sexual harassment claims - No negative effects on training - No negative effects on unit cohesion.
Those militaries are not the US military. Different culture, and regulations.

Quote:
What (specifically) makes the US military different?
Different culture.

Quote:
Why were these 37 militaries able to adapt to open homosexuals in their ranks easily and without issues whereas for the US military to do so will be difficult and come with many issues?
Different culture.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,457,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here are 5 relevant questions that will have to be answered by someone once Obama signs the Repeal of DADT law whether we like it or not. These questions have never been even approached in debate and should have.

Upon his signature President Obama will begin a process that will at the very least disrupt operations, and at the very worst se the eventual weakening of our armed forces.

One of the most worrisome questions will have to do with housing. Women and men are housed in separate housing for obvious reasons and now we will have two more distinct sexual groups to decide about how to house. Could we have to have 4 separate barracks for 4 distinct sexes?

Obama's New 'Gay' Force - Kevin McCullough - Townhall Conservative
Question 1. Housing.

Most folks in regular military don't bunk together, they have on and off base housing that isn't segregated by sex.

In combat you won't have a situation where people will be making out, they are more worried about their butts. The military is already allowing spouses of the opposite sex that are both serving to bunk together while deployed.

Question 2. Phony sexual harassment cases.

Really, is this the best they can come up with? The military has its own system of justice, and it works very well. Has there been a huge influx of sexual harassment cases in the private sector with wide spread acceptance of homosexuality? No, next question.

Question 3. Pride parades.

No, there won't be gay pride parades or events on base. Stupid question.

Question 4. Should all other sexual conduct be made legal.

I don't know an airman who doesn't enjoy sodomy, it should be removed from the books as being illegal.

I only saw 5 questions. I know none of this will change your mind. I served, I knew homosexuals that were serving while I served. Yes, we showered together, no, they never made advances towards me. It was just like any other airman I worked with, just another guy, and one gal, and I thought nothing about their sexuality. Really, this isn't something I worried about on a daily basis.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Has there been a huge influx of sexual harassment cases in the private sector with wide spread acceptance of homosexuality? No, next question.
So you think there is widespread acceptance in the private sector of homosexuality? Where's the evidence of the wide spread acceptance of homosexuality in the private sector?

Law is what governs that issue, has nothing to do with people i.e. "society" accepting or not accepting homosexuality.

Homosexuality is a behavior. And just because it's wrong to discriminate against homosexuals according to the law does not mean that there is widespread acceptance of homosexuality in society, even though that is what many would like to believe because it is being legally challenged.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
So you think there is widespread acceptance in the private sector of homosexuality?
I've worked in a lot of places, for a lot of different companies.

In everyone of them homosexuals are either accepted, and/or tolerated.

Let me explain. Most folks don't care one way or another if someone is gay or not. There are a few exceptions and in most cases they tolerate homosexuals. There are guys that continue to make gay jokes and crap, there always will be. There are some homosexuals who work to make it blatantly obvious to everyone that they are gay.

But most people, 90% of them just don't care. Its just another colleague, nothing more, nothing less.

There will always be an extreme minority who don't accept different ethnicities, or homosexuals, or interracial couples, but they will always be in the minority. If you can't handle being in the military with homosexuals, then leave, no one is forcing you to stay in.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've worked in a lot of places, for a lot of different companies.

In everyone of them homosexuals are either accepted, and/or tolerated.

Let me explain. Most folks don't care one way or another if someone is gay or not. There are a few exceptions and in most cases they tolerate homosexuals. There are guys that continue to make gay jokes and crap, there always will be. There are some homosexuals who work to make it blatantly obvious to everyone that they are gay.

But most people, 90% of them just don't care. Its just another colleague, nothing more, nothing less.

There will always be an extreme minority who don't accept different ethnicities, or homosexuals, or interracial couples, but they will always be in the minority. If you can't handle being in the military with homosexuals, then leave, no one is forcing you to stay in.
There have always been gays in the military. DADT was instituted during the Clinton Administration to protect homosexuals from harassment, not to stigmatize homosexuals in the military.

Sexuality is a behavior. Heterosexual or homosexual, it's a behavior. Not an ethnicity or a sexual gender (male or female).

There is no widespread of acceptance of homosexuality anymore than there is widespread acceptance of couples of different ethnicities, republicans, democrats, athiests, christians, or muslims. Most are moderately accepted, tolerated or ignored.

As I said in my other posts and this is the last one I'm making in this thread.

Time will tell what happens with this repeal, just be prepared for whatever comes down the road.

Period.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:32 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,999,093 times
Default "Career Politicians" have once again trumped the vastly successful time honored policies of the U.S. Military !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here are 5 relevant questions that will have to be answered by someone once Obama signs the Repeal of DADT law whether we like it or not. These questions have never been even approached in debate and should have.

Upon his signature President Obama will begin a process that will at the very least disrupt operations, and at the very worst se the eventual weakening of our armed forces.

One of the most worrisome questions will have to do with housing. Women and men are housed in separate housing for obvious reasons and now we will have two more distinct sexual groups to decide about how to house. Could we have to have 4 separate barracks for 4 distinct sexes?

Obama's New 'Gay' Force - Kevin McCullough - Townhall Conservative
roysoldboy ... !!! Great Stuff As Usual !

What a friggin pathetic mess "Ho & Crew" will now unleash upon our brave & proud Military Services !!!

It is quite easy to envision how difficult it would be for our services outstanding D.I.'s to constantly have to be overly concerned about possibly offending any of these little ole "Gay" lad & lassie recruits during the all important 12 week basic training cycle.

Yes folks the pathetically inept career politicians have once again trumped the historical time honored and time proven policies of so many of our U.S. military commanders !

It is an easy matter for so many of those exceedingly foolish folks in the political circus, who have never served in the U.S. military to absent mindly approve of matters such as roysoldboy has alluded to above. ^

As for "The One" & Crew ... It is not so difficuly to envision their puffed up egos and arrogance as this nightmare bill is signed into law !

How utterly insane it truly is when those whom have never once walked the walk are making the major decisions that directly effect everyone else that is !

So many of our folks way, way up here on the old East Coast have emphatically stated that they are very glad their proud military service was over before this unbelievably moronic decision was made !

I am so damn glad the U.S. Army during the Viet Nam War did not have to deal with this unprecedented insanity ! It may well have been a revolt from all services and ranks back then. My commrades in arms were indeed most fortunate !

May the Saints preserve our brave military service men and women during this horrendous time of trials and tribulation courtesy of clueless politicians !

Thanks Y"ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
There have always been gays in the military. DADT was instituted during the Clinton Administration to protect homosexuals from harassment, not to stigmatize homosexuals in the military.

Sexuality is a behavior. Heterosexual or homosexual, it's a behavior. Not an ethnicity or a sexual gender (male or female).

There is no widespread of acceptance of homosexuality anymore than there is widespread acceptance of couples of different ethnicities, republicans, democrats, athiests, christians, or muslims. Most are moderately accepted, tolerated or ignored.

As I said in my other posts and this is the last one I'm making in this thread.

Time will tell what happens with this repeal, just be prepared for whatever comes down the road.

Period.
Its been accepted by the APA and every other widely accepted scientific group that homosexuality isn't something someone chooses, just like their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies