Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,364,362 times

Advertisements

I think the answer to these questions will depend upon the homosexuals themselves. i think as long as it's buisness as usual things will stay the same but if the homosexuals feel they must make an issue of being a Homosexual and expect changes being made for them then yes it will become something where policies will need to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
There is no reason a straight man can't sleep 3 feet away from a gay man. If anyone is "predatory" or can't control his or her "sexual tension", then kick that person out of the military.
Yep! My brother shared a room with a gay man in school, and still managed to maintain his heterosexuality - he's had the same beautiful girlfriend for almost 6 years now. So not only did he manage to avoid sexual contact with his roommate, they are still extremely close friends 10+ years later. We now call him our "brother from another mother," LOL.

Unless there's a mutual attraction or one is a rapist, there's no reason to believe gay & straight folks can't share a dorm... it's been happening for years and years already, in both the military & schools, so why is this going to change now? Just because they can serve openly, it doesn't mean they're going to start raping straight soldiers.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If you only want to play the game you are playing now please forget me.
Make yourself clear and you'd avoid this 'game'.

Post a hodge-podge of conflicting and unclear claptrap, and you should expect to be called on it.

Quote:
If you want to discuss the questions please get after it.
You go first. This is your thread. You have yet to post anything but the article (after much prompting) and hypersensitive reactions to those trying to get you to put out a clear post.

Quote:
I want only to discuss the questions and the elementary article.
Then why don't you do exactly that instead of all this dancing around the issue?

Quote:
The questions aren't very hard to understand because of that so lets get at it.
You first. I insist. What do you think of that author's "relevant questions" about "Obama's gay force" as you call it?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
I am not sure that some non-gays won't use that method of getting out of the military when they find they don't like it there. That line of thinking has nothing anti-gay in it as far as I can see. As for the possible increase in that kind of harassment cases, lets just hide and wait to see instead of claiming that it can't or won't happen.

btw, do you know of some method that could be used to throw anyone out for using this complaint? I don't.
You're bringing up an entirely different point. The article says that gay soldiers will undoubtedly bring sexual harassment suits against straight soldiers anytime the openly gay solider feels he has been treated unfairly (the author gives the example of a gay solider suing the army for sexual harassment because his drill instructor calls him a sissy). I think that notion is utterly ridiculous.

As to gay soldiers sexually harassing straight soldiers - I'm sure it will happen at some point. I'm also sure it will be exceedingly rare. A gay solider would have to be really, really stupid to try and push himself sexually onto a straight solider who didn't appreciate the attention (stupid to the point where I'd say he deserves the beating he'd undoubtedly get).

As to a straight soldier making a false claim of sexual harassment against a gay soldier to either somehow get out of the military himself or to have the gay soldier unjustly treated, I also imagine that will happen at some point - but again it will be exceedingly rare. Our military members are professionals. They don't and shouldn't be acting in this manner and if they are, then they shouldn't be in our military.

As to a method to separate them from the military when such a thing happens, I can't tell you specifically - I don't know the UCMJ inside on out. I assume that within the UCMJ there is a provision that punishes military members who lie and make false legal claims to the authorities. Let those people be handled in the manner prescribed by the UCMJ (whether it's kicking them out the military, or punishing them enough so that they won't ever think about doing it again).

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-19-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,209,900 times
Quote:
One of the most worrisome questions will have to do with housing. Women and men are housed in separate housing for obvious reasons and now we will have two more distinct sexual groups to decide about how to house. Could we have to have 4 separate barracks for 4 distinct sexes?
From polls I've read it is more worrisome to you than actual armed forces members. This may surprise you but gay people don't just start humping anything they see since it is conveniently in the same building when they go to sleep.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,851 times
The writer of this article is going under a ton of assumptions about gays.

1. All gay men are effeminate
2. All gay men go to gay pride parades.
3. All gay men are predators who will pounce on any man with a package.

And yes, Kevin McCoullough, I will say that other countries have had gays in their militaries. Ever hear of Sparta??? Now THOSE were some tough dudes! I think we can handle it.

In my short life so far, I've met and worked with many gay people. Some fit the stereotypes, but many don't. I worked with one guy who drove a pickup, liked football, and enjoyed doing handyman-like house projects for fun. He did not shop. He did not dress in outlandish outfits and he didn't like interior decorating. I would never have guessed he was gay.

What an immature, sophomoric article.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,352,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
The writer of this article is going under a ton of assumptions about gays.

1. All gay men are effeminate
2. All gay men go to gay pride parades.
3. All gay men are predators who will pounce on any man with a package.

And yes, Kevin McCoullough, I will say that other countries have had gays in their militaries. Ever hear of Sparta??? Now THOSE were some tough dudes! I think we can handle it.

In my short life so far, I've met and worked with many gay people. Some fit the stereotypes, but many don't. I worked with one guy who drove a pickup, liked football, and enjoyed doing handyman-like house projects for fun. He did not shop. He did not dress in outlandish outfits and he didn't like interior decorating. I would never have guessed he was gay.

What an immature, sophomoric article.
Israel has gays in the military since day one, as everyone serves, no excuses.

3,849 posts, read 3,755,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think the answer to these questions will depend upon the homosexuals themselves. i think as long as it's buisness as usual things will stay the same but if the homosexuals feel they must make an issue of being a Homosexual and expect changes being made for them then yes it will become something where policies will need to be changed.
The only thing I've ever heard any gay man or lesbian say is that they want to serve their country in the military and they don't want to have to hide who they really are to do so.

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This may surprise you but gay people don't just start humping anything they see since it is conveniently in the same building when they go to sleep.
Of course they do. I've read that's exactly what gay men are like. Didn't you see when the author of this article talks about gay men - here's how he describes them:

"How can you possibly be allowing for the flamboyancy of effeminate male soldiers to engage in sexual conduct and their notorious ever wandering lust for the new"

Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Israel has gays in the military since day one, as everyone serves, no excuses.
Yes, indeed... and I DARE anyone here to call them "effeminate" or weak to their faces. I've been to Israel, and can tell you firsthand these are not people you want to insult - even the female soldiers scared the bejeezus out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies