Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,960,914 times

Advertisements

Man, what are they putting in doughnuts these days? Wasn't there a time when cops were the good guys that had the trust of the communities they served? Now they're just feared for being loose cannons (and rightfully so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM

14,576 posts, read 23,133,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If the dog was on his (the owner's) private property, and the officer wasn't, he was not in jeopardy.
Got any legal support for that argument? (Hint; it doesn't exist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
He wasn't in jeopardy because of the owner's fence-control of the dog.
You do realize that electric fences are usually underground, right? The story specifically mentions that there was no sign alerting anyone to the electric fence that may have restrained the dog.

This one is on the owners.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
The cop owes that family a big time apology and another Golden Retriever. The closest I have ever come to harm from a Golden was when one pinned me in a chair and tried to slobber me to death. I have never seen a mean Golden Retriever.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,180,183 times
I would like to clarify something I posted earlier.

I love animals. If i was in that's cop's shoes, I would have to be afraid before i shot the dog. Now understand I love dogs/cats/birds/etc. Our family has adopted dozens of animals over the years. That being said, if the dog was bounding up barking "Hi how are you", I am not going to be afraid. If the dog is charging me, foaming at the mouth, and is going to be gnawing on me, yes, i will act to protect myself.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,719,788 times
What if the officer had shot a child? Would that have been OK if he felt in danger? The child was holding a large knife or even a rifle since where I live it is common for six year olds to be given guns....although I personally think that is wacko.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM

14,576 posts, read 23,133,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
What if the officer had shot a child? Would that have been OK if he felt in danger? The child was holding a large knife or even a rifle since where I live it is common for six year olds to be given guns....although I personally think that is wacko.
If the child charged the officer or otherwise gave him reason to think he might fire on the officer, you can bet your ass he'd get shot.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
Any kid of mine would be taught to shoot first and from good cover.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,020,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The cop owes that family a big time apology and another Golden Retriever. The closest I have ever come to harm from a Golden was when one pinned me in a chair and tried to slobber me to death. I have never seen a mean Golden Retriever.
Like wise....

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,799,950 times
This happened in Oakland not too long ago.

Oakland Police Shoot, Kill Family's Yellow Lab | NBC Bay Area

Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,020,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
WOW!!

If I was a Cop, I would have done the exact same thing this cop did. I love animals, but I am not going to get bitten by a dog. Why wasn't the fence marked? Why wasn't the dog on a leash?

Why wasn't the Police Officer trained in animal control? Maybe because animal control isn't HIS job, isn't the Animals OWNER'S Job!!!

Are there any Police officers here in the forums?? What would you have done? I am interested in hearing from people who have to deal with this for real, instead of a bunch of armchair wannabes who don't know what they're talking about.

I have had dogs, I havw worked in car garages with bad dogs you wouldn't want to meet, and I have had 0 problems with dogs except one.
I have been bitten by digs, a few my own, and first of all a dog bite isn't that bad, certainly not a life threat.

When I was bitten by my own great dane I was breaking up a dig fight, and the other dog was a Irish Wolf Hound. A girl had her hound on a long leather leash, but was in my side yard, and very odd location.

I didn't see the leash or her at first, and had to leave the shower I was taking to see what was up, so I was j bird naked, and just waded into the fray.

I beat on both dogs untill I got a grip on mine, and then saw the leash and the girl on the other end. I didn't say a word to her and I knew she wasn't comin' back.

The lay of that land is semi important as it was like a lolly pop the drive way in being the stick, the rest swap. I am sure the girl just took the driveway as a dirt road. I dragged my dane inside, finished the shower, dump hydrogen peroxide on the wounds from both dogs and took my dog to work as normal fixing cars.

The one bad dog was a dobbie, sicked on me 2 other male friends and all of had gf's with us in a public park. I heard the owner tell his dobbie to get us. Everyone but me back off, and I had time to wrap a jean jacket around my left arm and offered it. I have somewhat more respect for a dobbie who snap fast, and i know how they act. I used that action offering a bite and killed that dog dead breaking it's neck. I felt pretty bad about it, but that was the owners fault.

In this case the cop could have done the same thing, except no golden would have taken things that far.

This time the cop was wrong. If it was my golden that cop would be lucky to get a job flippin burgers again. The Dept would be sued up the wazoo as well.

So far the dog I would fear hasn'tr been born yet.

Once I got a job in a garage where no help would stay due to that guard dog. By chance that shop had a ft end for a car I needed, and I went there with my customer. The owner and my customer were still working out the deal, when I was finished getting the whole ft end out. I spent my time playing with that guard dog, having no idea the silent growing and showing of teeth were not play. In a few moments it was play, and then I found out the dog's vocal cords had been surgicly cut.

In time that dog bit me too. All my fault. I had just fed my dane, and then in the act of feeding the guard dog my dam dane rounded the corner because I forgot to close the fence. My dog and the owners dog just refused to get along, and so I got bit up again for breaking up another dog fight. Not a big deal. I washed up well, got more hydro, and was at work on time in the morning.

There have been other dog bites for me before and since, but it is never that big of a deal.

I would be ashamed of myself for killing several children's golden. The cop is a bad cop, for no more than fear of dogs which no cop should be.

Where I live are 2 dogs who go nuts anytime anyone drives in to here. The UPS guys all carry dog cookies. Of course drivers who come in here that are not familar fear the bears long before they fear the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies