Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,176,479 times

Advertisements

WOW!!

If I was a Cop, I would have done the exact same thing this cop did. I love animals, but I am not going to get bitten by a dog. Why wasn't the fence marked? Why wasn't the dog on a leash?

Why wasn't the Police Officer trained in animal control? Maybe because animal control isn't HIS job, isn't the Animals OWNER'S Job!!!

Are there any Police officers here in the forums?? What would you have done? I am interested in hearing from people who have to deal with this for real, instead of a bunch of armchair wannabes who don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,176,479 times
Default read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, we wern't there, and the media can't be trusted enough to report accurately. Fundimental question...was the dog on private property? If so, he belonged there, the actions of the dog or owners are not improper. Did the officer have a warrent for a specific action on that piece of property? If not, he was trespassing...pretty simple. If he was trespassing, he should be prosecuted for that and for shooting the dog.
Did you read the article? He was responding to a call. I was ordered there by a dispatcher and was investigating something, so he had every reason and right to be where he was.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,969,166 times
It just seems to me that the officer was looking for a reason to shoot something. If he shot an aggresive dog on public property or he had a valid search warrant to be on the property then that is one thing, but the dog was on private property. Sorry, but the officer should have waited to see if the dog would actually come into the street.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

107 posts, read 214,508 times
Unless the officer was responding to a viscous dog call, the dog was NOT the criminal and should NOT have been shot. And animal control would be the one responding then. What was he responding to...a golden retriever fighting ring? Come on. I work for a shelter and know dogs and most goldens will bark for attention, run up to you to lick your face. Their bark is worse than their bite (which most don't). I know I had one for 12 years.

Now if the officer saw a pit (sorry to pit owners, I know many are lovable and there are many I adore at the shelter), I could actually see an officer reacting this way as they are very strong and impulsive and could kill you.

So I guess it depends on what the call was about and if he was alone and how urgent it was...were there people in danger and he had to move fast.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM

14,570 posts, read 23,107,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
Unless the officer was responding to a viscous dog call, the dog was NOT the criminal and should NOT have been shot.
Excellent logic. I guess if a cop is called to a bank robbery he should only worry about that and not the murder happening across the street.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
I can understand the officers concern. I would have kept a calmer demeanor... and have.. I had a large Doberman break through a front door once charging me... there was no electric fence. I stood my ground and did nothing to threaten the dog. He stopped 4 ft from me, sniffed, threw his nose in the air and walked back home....

On another attack I had a pit bull actually bite me but I was able to get a receipt book between me and her teeth.. She charged the cops but stopped in time and they did nothing until the animal control officer arrived, and walked up to this dog like it was his stuck a leash on her and walked her to the truck.... wow what kahunas...

I'm thinking this cop reacted too fast without getting a good read on the dog. It could have been prevented but faced with the same choice I can understand his option... Sad for the family but I'm thinking they too bear some responsibility.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
I wonder what is so hard to comprehend about:

"""BUT none of us was there to see the situation so EVERYTHING in here is speculation.....""

Guess it won't affect cop haters anyway....

Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Excellent logic. I guess if a cop is called to a bank robbery he should only worry about that and not the murder happening across the street.

He shouldn't have wasted taxpayer money indulging a law abiding dog, unless it would somehow expedite his original mission.

Killing the dog was the ultimate indulgence for the doughnut-eater.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,969,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I wonder what is so hard to comprehend about:

"""BUT none of us was there to see the situation so EVERYTHING in here is speculation.....""

Guess it won't affect cop haters anyway....
Cop shot dog on private property. Dog had never bitten anyone before. Cop did not have a warrant to be on Dog's property. Those are the facts. That is all I need.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,744,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Cop shot dog on private property. Dog had never bitten anyone before. Cop did not have a warrant to be on Dog's property. Those are the facts. That is all I need.
That's all I need to know too. Seems that it is open season on pets lately. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Here it gets the 'Daily Mail' treatment:

'Cold-blooded murder': Police officer investigating disturbance shoots and kills family's pet dog | Mail Online

I have to say, I think it's a pretty good characterization of what occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies