Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I realise that of course pregnancy is a major thing that affects a woman's body.

The number of women who have died from complications due to pregnancy pales in comparison with the number of women who say, die from breast cancer.

If anything goes wrong we have the medical wherewithall to tackle it.

You're right, no one else matters to you. Least of all the baby .

Not baby..........fetus. Yes, what I decide to do with my own body matters more to me than a FETUS.

You are a man........you will never get it......... because no matter what, you are secure in the fact that you will never have to suffer a pregnancy.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I don't like abortions.

But that is my personal opinion. I am educated enough to understand that the brain doesn't develop until around three months in the fetal development stage, as such its not a person until after the first trimester.

I will never vote to end abortion rights for women. Its not my choice, I let others decide what they want to do for them. Abortion isn't right for me, and any woman I would be with would know that. If she didn't want the child I would beg her to go ahead and have the baby and let me have it. Thats just my view. But I don't expect everyone else to do everything that I do.

My personal view is that abortions should be restricted to the first trimester, unless there is extenuating circumstances. (such as you were held captive for four months by a rapist, or you are to young to know what pregnant is, severe birth defects, etc). But I will never force anyone to deal with my personal views, because they are just that, my personal view. If asked to vote on an abortion law that listed just what I listed above, I'd probably vote on the restriction. But thats not going to happen, people either want it all one way, or all another. So if its all or nothing, I'll take all.

In a world where we restrict free morning after contraception based on age, that would prevent the need for an abortion, because it prevents the pregnancy from happening, well, we've got our priorities really screwed up. Birth controls prevent pregnancies, and abortions. There is no way to prevent sex.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I realise that of course pregnancy is a major thing that affects a woman's body.

The number of women who have died from complications due to pregnancy pales in comparison with the number of women who say, die from breast cancer.

If anything goes wrong we have the medical wherewithall to tackle it.

You're right, no one else matters to you. Least of all the baby .

THE EFFECTS OF PREGNANCY - complications of pregnancy

Read and learn. Pregnancy and childbirth is a very big deal that no woman should ever be forced into just because there was a hole in the rubber.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Abortion is not a modern invention. Women have ended unwanted pregnancies throughout history for 1000's of years. With the high toll pregnancy has on a woman's body, such a high rate of death in childbirth, poor methods of contraception, and little choice in whether they had sex or not, often it was a matter of survival ... so they could take care of the children they already had.
So medical technology can't even find a way to prevent that without killing?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
THE EFFECTS OF PREGNANCY - complications of pregnancy

Read and learn. Pregnancy and childbirth is a very big deal that no woman should ever be forced into just because there was a hole in the rubber.
Sure those are potential side-effects, but come on, nine out of ten women go through pregnancy just fine.

In developed countries the risks from pregnancy are so minimal.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Sure those are potential side-effects, but come on, nine out of ten women go through pregnancy just fine.

In developed countries the risks from pregnancy are so minimal.
Are you pro contraception? I mean for everyone, not just those that can afford it. Thats the only way to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Abortions have lowered the crime rate because we no longer have unwanted children all over the place. We do still have some unwanted children, but the numbers of crimes went down when the first RvW generation became adults. This is because the number of children that were born were more wanted and well taken care of as before.

So abortion is good for society as a whole.

Like I said, I don't personally like abortion, but I also don't want to tell others what to do with their lives either. I also think that we should be letting anyone who wants one to get a morning after pill, no questions asked, and that will lower abortions more than any kind of law to ban it would.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't like abortions.

But that is my personal opinion. I am educated enough to understand that the brain doesn't develop until around three months in the fetal development stage, as such its not a person until after the first trimester.

I will never vote to end abortion rights for women. Its not my choice, I let others decide what they want to do for them. Abortion isn't right for me, and any woman I would be with would know that. If she didn't want the child I would beg her to go ahead and have the baby and let me have it. Thats just my view. But I don't expect everyone else to do everything that I do.

My personal view is that abortions should be restricted to the first trimester, unless there is extenuating circumstances. (such as you were held captive for four months by a rapist, or you are to young to know what pregnant is, severe birth defects, etc). But I will never force anyone to deal with my personal views, because they are just that, my personal view. If asked to vote on an abortion law that listed just what I listed above, I'd probably vote on the restriction. But thats not going to happen, people either want it all one way, or all another. So if its all or nothing, I'll take all.

In a world where we restrict free morning after contraception based on age, that would prevent the need for an abortion, because it prevents the pregnancy from happening, well, we've got our priorities really screwed up. Birth controls prevent pregnancies, and abortions. There is no way to prevent sex.

Good point. The sad thing is, the same people that want abortion banned are usually the people that are against sex education in schools, don't want teens to have access to birth control on their own and don't want free birth control provided to the poor. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
[/b]

Good point. The sad thing is, the same people that want abortion banned are usually the people that are against sex education in schools, don't want teens to have access to birth control on their own and don't want free birth control provided to the poor. Ironic, isn't it?
I have rarely meet someone who is both pro life, and pro contraception. Most folks that are pro life are so based on religious views, and those same religious views tell them that sex is icky and wrong.

I come from the point of sex is normal and fine. Its impossible to prevent. So lets make that sex as safe with a minimal amount of complications (pregnancy) as is humanly possible.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are you pro contraception? I mean for everyone, not just those that can afford it. Thats the only way to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Abortions have lowered the crime rate because we no longer have unwanted children all over the place. We do still have some unwanted children, but the numbers of crimes went down when the first RvW generation became adults. This is because the number of children that were born were more wanted and well taken care of as before.

So abortion is good for society as a whole.

Like I said, I don't personally like abortion, but I also don't want to tell others what to do with their lives either. I also think that we should be letting anyone who wants one to get a morning after pill, no questions asked, and that will lower abortions more than any kind of law to ban it would.
Of course I am. Obviously the last thing I want to do is to take people's rights/freedoms away, I'm not stopping them from having sex with whomever they wish. I only have a problem with the rights of others are being denied.

Sorry but the supposed correlation between abortion and crime rates is a connection you are making. It's also starting to sound like a form of eugenics/social engineering.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Of course I am. Obviously the last thing I want to do is to take people's rights/freedoms away, I'm not stopping them from having sex with whomever they wish. I only have a problem with the rights of others are being denied.

Sorry but the supposed correlation between abortion and crime rates is a connection you are making. It's also starting to sound like a form of eugenics/social engineering.
The effects can not be denied.

"What's left over -- 30 [percent] or 40 percent -- I actually believe is attributable to a cause that no one ever expected, which was the legalization of abortion," Levitt said.

"It's a very simple theory. Unwanted children are a tremendous risk for growing up and having criminal lives," said Levitt. "With the legalization of abortion, many fewer unwanted children were born, therefore, the children who were most at risk for being criminals -- they were never born."

The Supreme Court legalized abortion in 1973, but crime didn't begin to drop until some 18 years later. Levitt believes this can be attributed to the fact that young adults aged 16 to 24 commit the most crimes.

Does Abortion Lower Crime Rates? - ABC News

So you think we should make the morning after pill available to all women of child bearing age for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies