Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

I even felt a tiny bit guilty for killing a cockroach, believe it or not (I usually don't, but this particular time I still felt a bit like a murderer)...nah in general I don't feel guilty killing cockroaches, mosquitos, flies, and very small insects - the first two because I have a 'reason' for it. I'd find it difficult to kill anything else though; even beetles, butterflies.etc.

Call me hypocritical (because I do eat meat, and cows and pigs are higher sentient beings) or too soft, but I still don't like the idea of killing things including the animals we eat even though it's a natural part of the ecosystem. In general I'm very sensitive to cruelty to animals etc but I'm still not ready to join PETA or something.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject and if you feel like I do. Is the guilt over killing instincts an innate or conditioned response? I don't think primitive people feel guilty about hunting animals, but I feel that's a bit more justified than killing for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
I don't think most people consider killing insects a great topic of debate, because it's so trivial (so many are just killed through walking on the ground) and often necessary for pest control (I've never really had insect or pest problems where I live, but I'm guessing encountering large bugs must be more common in other places).

I usually don't go out of my way to harm wild creatures if I don't need to. Although as a kid, like many young boys of that age, I did use to do cruel things to insects and kill them for fun. I also admit to doing things that I kind of felt guilty about that I don't do anymore, like throw rocks at ducks and squirrels.

The thing is though I actually very interested in observing wildlife, and right now I'm more likely to just watch and look at things if I'm bored.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
There is nothing wrong to being sensitive to other life forms. Personally, I go out of my way not to kill spiders. I catch them if they are in the house and take them outside. And I just chase house centipedes away since they only eat insects (unless the cats get them first).

Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,712 times
There are trillions of insects on earth, they make up part of the food chain, they are brainless. Remember PETA going nuts because Obama killed a fly? Priorities people!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
There are trillions of insects on earth, they make up part of the food chain, they are brainless. Remember PETA going nuts because Obama killed a fly? Priorities people!
Yeah, killing insects doesn't keep me up at night, I guess it's more personalising them. Still I think killing any animal for fun/sport is wrong.

PETA does go too far. I was amused at their 'recipes for dog treats'...which were, believe it or not, all vegetarian. I wonder if PETA members even feed their dogs meat products? PETA seems to be pushing a vegan agenda; even milk is hideously unnatural and just totally wrong according to them!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
they are brainless.
Not true. Insects do have a central nervous system, albeit a less complex one than higher animals.

That's why scientific experiments often use fruit flies, as a simpler model for studying brain development, as well as in genetics. Some insects like bees and ants are capable of feats of memory and communication from and to their nest or hive.

That said, it doesn't mean that they necessarily can "suffer" the same way we do.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Where are you willing to draw the line if you consider all insects, no matter how small, living beings?

Shall we include bacteria, both good or bad, living beings?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
There is no line. We kill things every day just walking around. If theres a line its between killing for need or acidentally vs killing for malicious reasons to cause pain or suffering.

If something is alive, its alive, it doesn't want to die. we can sympathize with larger animals better & trivialize killing smaller things easier but I cant see how a human being has any more of a "right" to live than a bug does. We both just happened to be born as we were born.

I'm not trying to say we shouldn't kill anything, just that one person squashing an insect is no better than another killing an animal for sport. In most cases its worse if anything because most people killing for sport eat the meat or at the very least want something from the animal, even if its just to hang the head on the wall. We kill insects just because theyre there, thats got to be worse than killing an Elk to get it mounted.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,921 times
If the person feels guilty then allow them to live..."go sell crazy some else." Even more, allow them to share your food and other items for human beings...like your toothbrush.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
If the person feels guilty then allow them to live..."go sell crazy some else." Even more, allow them to share your food and other items for human beings...like your toothbrush.
Funny story, a few weeks ago I saw a cockcroach crawling on my toothbrush! There was no way I was every going to use that toothbrush again no matter what. That one was killed with a shampoo bottle .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies