Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Any insect that enters my domain or bites me is a gonner for sure.

This morning looked inside my coffee maker where the coffee grounds go and saw a insect inside. Don't know how long it has been in there or how many cups of coffee I've had with it inside. Am not happy for sure but will check from now on before making coffee. Coffee is in a filter and holder so the insect was to the one side...maybe just died there.

Small insects up to large animals are in the planets food chain thus come and go accordingly.

As for PETA...they should look at the ingredients listed on a bag of dog food.
Ironically if they're crazy enough to feed their dogs on a veg only diet they're being cruel to their dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,958 times
I probably wouldn't even feel guilty if I killed a dog.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Where are you willing to draw the line if you consider all insects, no matter how small, living beings?

Shall we include bacteria, both good or bad, living beings?
It's beyond debate that bacteria and insects are living beings, kinda like "water is wet". However, something being alive should not necessarily, by itself, present a hang-up for killing it. Especially if that something is a cockroach. Or a termite. Or an exotic species like a fire ant or africanized bee. OR if that something is delicious, like crayfish, crab and lobster.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Did you enjoy doing that?
Killing fire ants with a magnifying glass as a kid was a lot of fun, actually. I didn't have a "god" experience or anything, more like an exterminator experience.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,724 times
The only insects I don't feel guilty about killing are of course roaches, mosquitos and flies.

Even though I'm a little arachnophobia, I will pick up a spider and move it outdoors. I actually respect their lifestyle because they eat the ones above.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I wont kill Grasshoppers, Praying Mantis, Spiders, Moths or Butterflys, Most beetles or Ladybugs.
I hate crickets because they get in the house and make noise all night.
Ants are pests, anyone who has ever stepped in a fire ant mound will tell you that.
Mosquito's and Houseflys and gnats.
Roaches without a doubt, they just give me the willys.
And on the Spider thing.. I WOULD kill a Recluse, or a Widow and them nasty little things the Aussies have.

I remember when I was a kid after stepping on a bug and thinking.. What if that was God..??
i'm over that now.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Is it natural to feel guilty over killing insects?

Somehow I doubt it. I have never heard of any insect feeling guilt for transmitting, Malaria, Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever or Elephantiasis et al, to humans.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,953 times
Is it natural to feel guilty over killing insects?

(Buddha?)
I Promoted leaving bugs along to my kids when they were younger, unless they, my kids, were in danger.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I've never felt guilty for killing any sort of bug.
I seriously doubt I ever will.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I wont kill Grasshoppers, Praying Mantis, Spiders, Moths or Butterflys, Most beetles or Ladybugs.
I hate crickets because they get in the house and make noise all night.
Ants are pests, anyone who has ever stepped in a fire ant mound will tell you that.
Mosquito's and Houseflys and gnats.
Roaches without a doubt, they just give me the willys.
And on the Spider thing.. I WOULD kill a Recluse, or a Widow and them nasty little things the Aussies have.

I remember when I was a kid after stepping on a bug and thinking.. What if that was God..??
i'm over that now.
Everyone knows it's bad luck to kill a ladybug.

I may actually be compelled to intervene if I saw a stranger preparing to kill a praying mantis, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies