Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Choking on your lunch wont change facts.. Even if the medicaid/medicare dont cover things you wish they did, you dont rewrite healthcare across the nation to fix the few that needs covered but cant get coverage. you FIX what is broken.. You dont break everyones system to fix the minority of problems.. thats just stupid.

Again, my fiance has chrohns... I've delt with the issue for 15+ years.
The system is broke because rates have climbed to the point of matching many mortgage payments. It forces the ill into cracks when getting ill. Get sick, lose job, lose health insurance. Get another job in this market for many let alone those who are sick are finding themselves jobs with--guess what? No benefits because many companies can not compete any longer with this huge cost over their heads. The wright off isn't worth it any longer. The whole system is a joke and a laughing stock. Most folks felt comfortable paying their premiums. Many found out the hard way when they started using their insurance more and more the ****e hit the fan for many. Insurance companies are what they are, nothing more nothing less, and that is rake the money in and shell out the least as possible. That is all well and good for a healthy person and a sucker but not for me and my family.

I'm sorry to hear of your girlfriend and chrohns. You then should know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read the pdf document I linked. Appropriations for each fiscal year 2007 through 2010 were authorized. Federal funding set up and subsidized state high-risk insurance pools. Given that, why was a new national high-risk pool necessary?
Ahhh, to make it National and provide for hopefully enough funding.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ahhh, to make it National and provide for hopefully enough funding.
Again, I'll refer to te article linked i the OP... the high-risk plans "cannot charge more in premiums than the average premium for other individual insurance in a given state. But "the individual market is expensive," said Jean P. Hall, a University of Kansas researcher studying the new plans. "From my perspective, it is not a good match for people who have expensive conditions."

Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yeah, and if you're a lesser-educated blue collar person who happens to get one of the many JOBS out there today that provides NO HEALTH BENEFITS AT ALL - if you're lucky enough to even get that in these days of high unemployment - then what do you do for health insurance? Snap your fingers and make a wish?
then find ANOTHER JOB that does.. Even Wal Mart offers medical benefits. You arent qualified to work at Wal Mart? man, that must suck!!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The system is broke because rates have climbed to the point of matching many mortgage payments. It forces the ill into cracks when getting ill. Get sick, lose job, lose health insurance. Get another job in this market for many let alone those who are sick are finding themselves jobs with--guess what? No benefits because many companies can not compete any longer with this huge cost over their heads. The wright off isn't worth it any longer. The whole system is a joke and a laughing stock. Most folks felt comfortable paying their premiums. Many found out the hard way when they started using their insurance more and more the ****e hit the fan for many. Insurance companies are what they are, nothing more nothing less, and that is rake the money in and shell out the least as possible. That is all well and good for a healthy person and a sucker but not for me and my family.

I'm sorry to hear of your girlfriend and chrohns. You then should know better.
The system is broke because government sets the UCR and ICD9/10 rates that they pay for proceedures, and these rates are below the cost needed to provide care. And since insurance companies often pay off these same rates, this means that those who pay cash are left picking up the tab. This is why an aspirin might cost $10.00..

This is why the government continues to pass the doc fix year after year, and why obamacare sucks.. it INCREASED costs.. Even the CBO acknowledged this as true.

In addition, government has made it increasingly difficult to obtain catastrophic insurance, which is what most americans really need because they mandate that insurance companies provide X, Y, Z with every policy.. I dont need insurance to pickup routine doctor visits for example, but government requires these be covered "for the poor" because $75 is too much to ask for people to visit the doctor..

Well guess what, these costs are added to the price of care and when its spread out.. its an increase..

You want insurance to get better, you should be oppositing Obamacare for the joke that it is...

Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
then find ANOTHER JOB that does.. Even Wal Mart offers medical benefits. You arent qualified to work at Wal Mart? man, that must suck!!
I'm sure you don't care about the specifics, but fortunately I am blessed with good employment, good health, and good health insurance. However, I recognize that my particular situation is not necessarily representative of everyone else's. There are many working citizens who are not able to access health insurance for reasons entirely beyond their control, and this simply should not exist in a wealthy, first-world nation.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you don't care about the specifics, but fortunately I am blessed with good employment, good health, and good health insurance. However, I recognize that my particular situation is not necessarily representative of everyone else's. There are many working citizens who are not able to access health insurance for reasons entirely beyond their control, and this simply should not exist in a wealthy, first-world nation.
85% of americans have insurance.. the other 15% for the most part dont have it by choice.. (I being one of them).. What exactly shouldnt exist in a first world nation? People being allowed a CHOICE?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
85% of americans have insurance.. the other 15% for the most part dont have it by choice.. (I being one of them).. What exactly shouldnt exist in a first world nation? People being allowed a CHOICE?
Oh? And what kind of a "choice" is that - the "choice" not to purchase health insurance but then still choose 100% of the time to call the ambulance or go to the hospital when it comes down to the wire, regardless of whether or not you can afford it? Yeah, that's a real "choice" there... the cost of which will be socialized anyways among people like me.

And don't kid yourself.. most of those 15% would like to have health insurance benefits, but they can't afford them or gain coverage. They have no choice at all.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM

313 posts, read 597,051 times
Quote:
You guys are absolutely right. We should not recognize that things don't go perfectly the first time. We should not try to adjust or improve the plan for these new developments.

Instead, we should scrap it all go back to the old system where these people with pre-existing conditions have no access to health insurance at all because no companies will take them - and they can then go bankrupt trying to deal with their illnesses out of their pocket or just die in the street like dogs! Some of you right-wingers are apparently filled with a warm, gushy feeling when that happens to others. Go USA!
The Politician's Syllogism is a logical fallacy. We did not have to pass that bill

Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:

And don't kid yourself.. most of those 15% would like to have health insurance benefits, but they can't afford them or gain coverage. They have no choice at all.
Included in that 15% percent are a lot of young people that chose NOT to purchase HC insurance, which SHOULD be a right. Instead, people like you would have the government make all financial, HC decisions for everyone, regardless of their situation, regardless of their wants or needs.

You do realize obamacare will do away with those catastrophic plans that some people purchased. Oh no, the government has decided for you that there is a minimum of coverage that an insurer MUST provide and an insuree MUST swallow, whether they want it or not.

But the point of the thread:

ANOTHER aspect of obamacare that has not met the "prediction" of the all-knowing, all-controlling federal government under a bunch of radical leftists.

How many more of these details we have learned over the last several months, how many more "predictions" (LIES) that have not come true, how many more examples of the harm and destruction obamacare will cause to our current HC system...before you admit the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies