Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Oh? And what kind of a "choice" is that - the "choice" not to purchase health insurance but then still choose 100% of the time to call the ambulance or go to the hospital when it comes down to the wire, regardless of whether or not you can afford it? Yeah, that's a real "choice" there... the cost of which will be socialized anyways among people like me.
Um.. I pay my ambulance bills and hospital bills when I get billed for them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And don't kid yourself.. most of those 15% would like to have health insurance benefits, but they can't afford them or gain coverage. They have no choice at all.
WRONG.. Most of the 15% are college kids and younger families starting out who have little need for insurance..

Can you stop making up ridiculous make believe "facts"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Included in that 15% percent are a lot of young people that chose NOT to purchase HC insurance, which SHOULD be a right. Instead, people like you would have the government make all financial, HC decisions for everyone, regardless of their situation, regardless of their wants or needs.

You do realize obamacare will do away with those catastrophic plans that some people purchased. Oh no, the government has decided for you that there is a minimum of coverage that an insurer MUST provide and an insuree MUST swallow, whether they want it or not.

But the point of the thread:

ANOTHER aspect of obamacare that has not met the "prediction" of the all-knowing, all-controlling federal government under a bunch of radical leftists.

How many more of these details we have learned over the last several months, how many more "predictions" (LIES) that have not come true, how many more examples of the harm and destruction obamacare will cause to our current HC system...before you admit the truth?
I keep seeing people talk about this law and how great it will be. I can't wait for the day, less than one week away, when many of them realize that the insurance they have from their employers is no longer a really good thing. THE LAW makes employers report the amount they spend on employee insurance to the IRS so the employee all of a sudden makes about $10,000 of taxable income that they didn't make last year. Actually I can't wait to see them howl about this when they find out about it, especially the libs and other Obama lovers.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um.. I pay my ambulance bills and hospital bills when I get billed for them..

WRONG.. Most of the 15% are college kids and younger families starting out who have little need for insurance..

Can you stop making up ridiculous make believe "facts"
The saddest part of what you are having to argue is that most of those people in that 15% are people who go without insurance in hopes that using that money to live higher won't bite them until they get old enough to feel they really might get sick. They don't have insurance because life style at their age is so important.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The saddest part of what you are having to argue is that most of those people in that 15% are people who go without insurance in hopes that using that money to live higher won't bite them until they get old enough to feel they really might get sick. They don't have insurance because life style at their age is so important.
Rare but true, I agree with Roy.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Most of these 15% go without because they have nothing to lose..

College kids, families starting out.. usually own nothing.. Insurance is to protect one from financial losses.. If you have nothing to lose, then even with national healthcare does this change anything..

As I grew up, I did the economic calculations on what it would cost me to get full coverage, vs catastrophic.. The break even point is about 10 years.. If I dont get sick in 10 years, I come out ahead by investing the amount I'd pay with healthcare. Anything over that is money in the bank...

Even with me breaking both of my hands last year and paying cash for hand reconstructive surgery, it was cheaper than buying insurance. In the event I get very ill, then catastrophic insurance will kick in at $100K which is the amount I'm willing to risk..

Many dont do the financial calculations and view insurance as their only option.. Some view $100K as excessive, but consider what you pay for healthcare costs and multiple it by 10 years.. whats that come out to?

These same individuals that go without, know that they can get insurance later when switching jobs as they grow and get promotions.. Even if you go until your in your 40's without insurance.. All you have to do is switch jobs and whalaa... you get insurance.. There is no incentive or need to get insurance at a younger age and even with obamacare, this hasnt changed.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times
Quote:

While I agree there may be some that fall into this category, I think there are more that just feel that paying the rent and feeding their family is more important. When young families are starting out, many don't have a lot. They are still at the bottom of the pay scale and paying for educational or transportation loans. I'm not sure I would necessarily call that living higher, just prioritizing the needs of their position in life.

With adding to their load it may keep many young families in poverty a lot longer.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
While I agree there may be some that fall into this category, I think there are more that just feel that paying the rent and feeding their family is more important. When young families are starting out, many don't have a lot. They are still at the bottom of the pay scale and paying for educational or transportation loans. I'm not sure I would necessarily call that living higher, just prioritizing the needs of their position in life.

With adding to their load it may keep many young families in poverty a lot longer.
Since the discussion has moved to HC Law generally, not just temporary High Risk, these people should be applauding the new Law. A family of 4, 35 yrs old with $40k income, the Ins premium cost would be about $11k. Pricey, to be sure. However, under the new Law, the family would pay about $1900 due to $9100 Govt tax credit.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Since the discussion has moved to HC Law generally, not just temporary High Risk, these people should be applauding the new Law. A family of 4, 35 yrs old with $40k income, the Ins premium cost would be about $11k. Pricey, to be sure. However, under the new Law, the family would pay about $1900 due to $9100 Govt tax credit.
What $9100 govt tax credit?

Dont you ever stop and ask yourself how a bill is said to give people "$9100", and expand healthcare to 30,000,000 additional uninsured americans, while reducing the costs of insurance, increasing the care being offered, while cutting the deficit all at the same time?

Do you even stop and think about the fact that all of this bs cant be true?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What $9100 govt tax credit?

Dont you ever stop and ask yourself how a bill is said to give people "$9100", and expand healthcare to 30,000,000 additional uninsured americans, while reducing the costs of insurance, increasing the care being offered, while cutting the deficit all at the same time?

Do you even stop and think about the fact that all of this bs cant be true?
There are a number of funding sources for the Law. How successful those will be, will obviously take time to play out. You, however, seem to know more than the CBO and believe it to be impossible. Forgive me if I prefer educated speculation rather than, idle speculation.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are a number of funding sources for the Law. How successful those will be, will obviously take time to play out. You, however, seem to know more than the CBO and believe it to be impossible. Forgive me if I prefer educated speculation rather than, idle speculation.
I find it humorous that you say that I seem to know more than the CBO, while the figures I use come STRAIGHT FROM THE CBO.. remember this link bob?

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...0-Premiums.pdf

Average premiums would go from $13,100 per family to $15,200, a $2100 increase.
Average premiums would go $5,500 to $5,800 for individuals, a $300 increase.

Average premiums per policy in the nongroup market in 2016 would be roughly $5,800 for single policies and $15,200 for family policies under the proposal, compared with roughly $5,500 for single policies and $13,100 for family policies under current law. The weighted average of the differences in those amounts equals the change of 10 percent to 13 percent in the average premium per person summarized above, but the percentage increase in the average premium per policy for family policies is larger and that for single policies is smaller because the average number of people covered per family policy is estimated to increase under the proposal

One second you want to support the accuracy of the CBO, but what will you say now that they say you are wrong? Do you have another phantom CBO link to dispute the CBO's own reports?

Have you learned nothing from our last go around where you claimed I was "lying" about what the CBO said while you linked to the very same report I quoted? //www.city-data.com/forum/16992538-post130.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies