Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
To find the article that is now all over the internet ....
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Search for:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]"Almost everything in America is a crime now: 14 of the most Rediculous things Americans are being arrested for"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Among the 14 things include a thirteen year old boy arrested for farting in class; a 12 year old arrested for opening a Christmas present too early; a 70 year old woman handcuffed and arrested for having a brown lawn; a rape victim beaten, bruised, handcuffed and arrested by TSA for not allowing her breasts to be touched at the airport and more.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Another interesting fact I learned is that although Americans represent 5% of the world's population 25% of the world's population are incarcerated here. Isn't that ironic for a supposedly "free" country?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Did you also know that if everyone was given 1750 square feet of space to live the entire world's population could fit in the state of Texas? So much for over population of the world...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Yes, the number of behaviors which have been criminalized has grown. So has the severity of the charge, with some things going from misdemeanors to felonies.

But, you're mistaken if you blame anyone other than us. Legislature's don't just sit around dreaming up new things to criminalize, you know? Whatever they do is in response to OUR demands.

For instance, our prison's are full of non-violent drug offenders because WE demanded government do something about the drug problem. Result? The Drug War and a long laundry list of things which land people in jail. Another example is how we insisted somebody "do something" about drunk drivers. Result? The criminalization of behaviors we used to tolerate.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Be fair.... search just for dumb laws, America doesn't have the corner on people being arrested because of stupid laws.......

Overpopulation? shouldn't that be another thread onto itself? What does that have to do with the OP?
You're right. It doesn't have anything to do with what people can be arrested for but it is just a little bit of trivia not worth starting a thread about so I thought I'd throw it in. Sorry if I've "offended" someone by doing that.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True. You can't even write a book about how to become a pedophile anymore without having to fear that some crazy Sheriff from Polk County, Florida will have you arrested.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
And if you are a 5-year old from Cuba and your mother just died, the crazy liberals from D.C. will send armed S.W.A.T. teams into your house so you can live a life of opression and poverty.

So what is your point?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is not the population, per se. It is the resources that the population uses. Just think of how many trees are used in the building of ONE house, or how much water ONE PERSON uses in a year's time. The reason that the overpopulation of the world is a concern has nothing to do with SPACE, and everything to do with how to keep people fed and watered and sheltered.

Unfortunately, there are HUGE, HUGE parts of our country and the world where there is no (or very limited water), and the soil is not able to produce food for the population. And that isn't even considering the amount of trash and waste that is produced that we must deal with.

The over consumption mentality of the "developed" nations of this world is putting severe stresses upon all of the resources of the world and causing critical shortages of many natural resources.

20yrsinBranson
People have been saying this for 5,000 years. But all indications are life is better for everyone today than it has ever been in the past (except for countries with oppressive governments). And world population is higher today than it ever has been.

You should read The Ultimate Resource by Julian Simon. He was a University of Maryland professor. He smashes every theory about "overpopulation" and "resource depletion". He even shows how every environmental doomsday prediction for the past 1000 years has been wrong. It's a good read if you are interested in demography, the environment and economics.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 AM

565 posts, read 485,865 times
Quote:
You're right. It doesn't have anything to do with what people can be arrested for but it is just a little bit of trivia not worth starting a thread about so I thought I'd throw it in. Sorry if I've "offended" someone by doing that.
Never expect people to have any sense of humor, it could well be the rarest thing there is.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sadly, we have become a society run by lawyers.

Not quite. The demand for lawyers is driven by the huge number of people that think they should tell the rest of us how to live our lives.

Get rid of a huge portion of government and it's laws and you would see a drop in the demand for lawyers.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, the number of behaviors which have been criminalized has grown. So has the severity of the charge, with some things going from misdemeanors to felonies.

But, you're mistaken if you blame anyone other than us. Legislature's don't just sit around dreaming up new things to criminalize, you know? Whatever they do is in response to OUR demands.

For instance, our prison's are full of non-violent drug offenders because WE demanded government do something about the drug problem. Result? The Drug War and a long laundry list of things which land people in jail. Another example is how we insisted somebody "do something" about drunk drivers. Result? The criminalization of behaviors we used to tolerate.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.
That is somewhat true but bureaucracies have taken over to a certain extent and the result is tyranny.

One thing that is not our fault and that NOBODY wanted was for the federal government to expand exponentially the way it has and where most of the governing is done by executive order or by bureaucracies just taking over. Our representative republic is not working very well when bills are passed into law without even being read by members of Congress who vote on them. That isn't our fault. That is the Obama administrations fault and due to their carrying out the agenda of the New World Order in spite of Congress just like Bush did.

For example the FAKE Food Safety Modernization Act NEVER should have been passed nor should the Obamacare bill. There were plenty of people who got involved as I did contacting their elected officials and telling them not to support it but some went ahead and voted for these things anyway. Members of Congress had to be bought off for those to pass. Then when the President knows that certain things won't make it through Congress he just writes up an executive order...like appointing Dr Berwick on Christmas Day to bring back death panels.

The bureaucracies invading and taking over states jurisdiction should not be going on. What about Homeland Security taking over local police who are supposed to answer only to the County Sheriff and uphold the Constitution and protect the people...not find excuses to harass and arrest the people like Homeland Security wants them to do? They want us to snitch on our neighbors and I'm sure if there is $$ in it, many Americans are not above doing that.

The corruption, the buraucracies that overstep their bounds and the ruling by executive orders is not our fault.

Last edited by emilybh; 01-02-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
A land to flee, because you're a slave.

Things got to change.
I wish.....but where do we flee to? It is like this everywhere to a greater or lesser degree.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
To find the article that is now all over the internet ....
[SIZE=2]
Search for:

"Almost everything in America is a crime now: 14 of the most Rediculous things Americans are being arrested for"

Another interesting fact I learned is that although Americans represent 5% of the world's population 25% of the world's population are incarcerated here. Isn't that ironic for a supposedly "free" country?

[/SIZE]

That's because we have thousands of elected officials who think their job is to pass new laws every year. New laws are cumulative, and rarely displace old laws. And most new laws either raise taxes or restrict freedom. The cumulative effect is devastating.

We have thousands of laws on the books whose cumulative effect is greatly reduced freedom and privacy.

Examples - and the list is endless;

1. Cannot sell cars on Sunday
  2. Cannot open a liquor store on Sunday
  3. Cannot smoke in your own bar
  4. Cannot mail a gun to your buddy
  5. Cannot cook with trans fats
  6. Cannot spit in a city park
  7. Cannot smoke pot in your own home
  8. Cannot keep your bar open past 2 AM
  9. Cannot eat foie gras
  10. Cannot ride a bike without a helmet
  11. Cannot tan in a salon twice in a 24 hour period
  12. Cannot take your 17 year old daughter to a tanning salon
  13. Cannot smoke on the beach

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Never expect people to have any sense of humor, it could well be the rarest thing there is.
I wasn't trying to be funny. I thought it was an interesting fact that I wanted to share. Next time I'll state (which I had considered doing and now I see that I should have since so many people have issues with it) that XYZ is for information purposes only and is unrelated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies