Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:26 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The ACLU doesn't believe the 2nd Amendment is an individual right,the only amendment it views in this way...

Odd don't you think?
Odd? Not at all, they do present a valid argument:

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

That's not cherry-picking, good, bad, or indifferent it's being consistent with their stated position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Odd? Not at all, they do present a valid argument:

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

That's not cherry-picking, good, bad, or indifferent it's being consistent with their stated position.
What other of the Bill Of Rights is not an individual right?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,139,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And you were born, when? I didn't mean you alone since you are not alone here as far as far, far left is concerned.

Speaking of the Comintern, what was that letter doing in their archives? I suppose that hero Baldwin didn't write it.
I don't know and don't care. It's consistent with Baldwin being the naive idealist that he was. The record is quite clear that once he understood the communism implied totalitarianism, he was horrifed, as were many other people.

This is just more Neo-McCarthyist blather. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how an organization that consistently fights AGAINST the government on behalf of private individuals can be communist.

The very notion is ludicrous.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in sc View Post
no it is not....you may think so and the aclu may think so but if the @nd amendment is a collective right why isn't the 1st???
because
of
how
the
second
is
written

dude. And you have no idea how I think.

Quote:
As to it 'being covered' by the nra,so what if it is?
The 2dn amendment is the most fought over right there is in my opinion,no other right is so restricted...
Show me where it is written that the ACLU has to do what you want it to do. They have made their position clear, and I am fine with it. They don't get involved in 2nd amendment stuff because - drum roll please - it's not that big a deal, constitutionally. There are relatively few Second Amendment cases out there compared to the rest of the Bill of Rights. That's why every time we have one (like Heller), it makes big news...because it is SO rare compared to, say, the 4th amendment, which is implicated in every single arrest made, just about. Or the 5th, which definitely is.

Quote:
I always find it amusing how those who so strongly support the 'people's rights' only seem to support the rights they like....
I'm a gun owner and member of the ACLU, mister. Again, you have no idea how I think.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
Oh my god. The level of paranoia that is expressed on this forum sometimes...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
because
of
how
the
second
is
written

dude.
LOL...and yet the USSC has stated the 2nd Amendment IS an individual right...

Odd position for the ACLU considering the Bill Of Rights are ALL individual rights....except for that one....

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM

This is why I laugh at Strict Constructionists.

When you ask them about the Second, they typically grumble and look at their feet...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times
Quote:
I don't know and don't care. It's consistent with Baldwin being the naive idealist that he was. The record is quite clear that once he understood the communism implied totalitarianism, he was horrifed, as were many other people.

This is just more Neo-McCarthyist blather. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how an organization that consistently fights AGAINST the government on behalf of private individuals can be communist.

The very notion is ludicrous.
I asked the ACLU to look into what I considered to be a case of police interfering with my son's life since a sheriff was trying to get even with him for personal reasons and their letter back to me asked what our race was, so I just gave up on that one. White sheriff and whit boy didn't interest them even enough to get the particulars. They just indicated that race needed to be involved and let it drop.

BTW, did your don't know and don't care statement concern when you were born? (just joking)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL...and yet the USSC has stated the 2nd Amendment IS an individual right...
Yes, they have. So much for Strict Constructionism. I guess conservative judges only mean to apply it when it suits them, eh?

Quote:
Odd position for the ACLU considering the Bill Of Rights are ALL individual rights....except for that one....
Because
of
the
way
the
Second
Amendment
is
written.

What part of this do you not get? Burdell was quite explicit.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
This is why I laugh at Strict Constructionists.

When you ask them about the Second, they typically grumble and look at their feet...
The 2nd amendment is only difficult to grasp if you already have decided it is a collective right...

It is pretty simple,just like the other rights.

Why is it so difficult to simply disagree with the ACLU's stance on the 2nd Amendment,many of it's supporters do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies