Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,204,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
In the videos I saw--made by tech savvy teenagers--the guns looked pretty authentic--I lack the expertise to determine whether they were 'real'. They were assault weapons.
I'd going to go out on a limb and say that 90% of these types of videos are probably teenagers showing off paintball or airsoft guns; some people like to play "milsim" paintball or airsoft in which the point is to simulate historical battles or made-up scenarios, or just to have fun (capture the flag).

Then there are other players of these games that play competitively, enough for paintball, at least. There is/was currently the Scenario Woodsball League, United Woodsball League, NPPL, NCPL, etc..

Anyways, I digress. Some children SEE guns and think they're toys like capguns or something, most children of gun owners (as in probably 99.9%) are taught that they are not things to be played with... And then there are some children who do things like this; never exposed to guns and therefore don't know any better.

A gun is simply a tool. It can be used for getting food or for defense, much like a trap, or a knife, or a bow and arrow. Hell, one could even do both of those things with a car or spork.. but we won't outlaw those. Oh, no. Those big, black, nasty guns just grow legs and walk around of their own accord shooting people.

Guns should ideally all be locked up when not in use, but since it'll never happen (and I am guilty of this as well, but then I live in a very remote location with no neighbors and no children about) the most we can do is educate.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,663 times
I wonder how many people, who are anti gun, are pro drugs? Including alcohol, marijuana, and tobacco? More people die, every year, in direct and indirect ways, surrounding drugs, then anything else. Yet, these boards are full of people wanting to legalize every drug this side of the world. I'm also willing to bet, many of the people who want to legalize drugs, would be for the banning of firearms.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,626,452 times
I believe that if you are not responsible do not own a gun it's as simple as that. I grew up with guns in the house and I was told from a very young age that if I was caught in the area of the where the locked guns were I wouldn't be sitting for a week-
When I was older I believe about 16, my dad explained how to use a gun, I was advised that I DO NOT take the guns out unless someone is breaking into my house..my dad explained MANY times to me that when you kill someone it's over they don't come back..
My point is kids do not have the capacity to understand death-the brains are not fully developed..and at 10 years old giving someone a loaded shotgun? Sorry but she was asking for it.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,108,225 times
Guns enable people to make extremely bad, permanent decisions when they are at emotional highs or lows. Much like the kid that is subject of the OP.

For many people, they also provide a false sense of security "if I have a concealed weapon, I can protect myself and noone can hurt me".

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
Quote:
In today's news a 10 year old boy in Ohio shot/killed his mother after an argument over chores with a rifle his father had given him. It seems there were problems in the family and the father had recently moved out of the home. The mother didn't want the guns in the house. In this area many boys learn to shoot--there was a lengthy discussion on the phrasing of this statement on Nancy Grace tonight--but basically having a gun is accepted in the community.

This is a tragic incident.

In IL, the son of police detective took a gun to school and fired into the cafeteria wounding the principal and an assistant principal.

In affluent homes with 'good/responsible' parents boys are allowed to make videos using guns---they could be 'toy guns' but the message is the same. This bothers me as much as the first incident. Guns are weapons and lethal force is not something to be taken lightly.

Prisons are overcrowded, judicial system struggles to keep up and taxpayers really can't do much more to support the increasing need.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Parenting, the lack of!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
Default Responsibility

Quote:
In today's news a 10 year old boy in Ohio shot/killed his mother after an argument over chores with a rifle his father had given him. It seems there were problems in the family and the father had recently moved out of the home. The mother didn't want the guns in the house. In this area many boys learn to shoot--there was a lengthy discussion on the phrasing of this statement on Nancy Grace tonight--but basically having a gun is accepted in the community.

In IL, the son of police detective took a gun to school and fired into the cafeteria wounding the principal and an assistant principal.

In affluent homes with 'good/responsible' parents boys are allowed to make videos using guns---they could be 'toy guns' but the message is the same. This bothers me as much as the first incident. Guns are weapons and lethal force is not something to be taken lightly.

Prisons are overcrowded, judicial system struggles to keep up and taxpayers really can't do much more to support the increasing need.

It's called responsibility. There was a time when both Responsibility and Manners were the norm.

Lets be honest here. Anyone here in their 30's or older? How many of you (assuming both parents were still part of your family), talked back to your father. Probably none, zero, nada.. Why? Because he would spin your head right off your shoulders. Initially good manners towards your parents were learned out of fear, as well as responsibility and discipline. After it became a learned behavior, it became the NORM, because later on in life, you understood it was was right thing to do.

These days, it isn't the norm, because it isn't a learned behavior for many youngsters. (please note, I didn't say ALL!!!). While raising my children, when I introduced them to adults I would say "xxx this is Mr or Mrs XXX'. Once one said, go ahead and call me XXX, (Her first name). I stopped her and said, That wasn't possible, as it wasn't good manners for a 7 year old child to refer to an adult by their first name. By the same token, when my kids said Please and Thank You, a lot of people were suprised, they were not used to that.

It is things like this, the lack of discipline, the lack manners, and the lack of personal responsibility that leads to the events such as the one starting this forum.

Why are the prisons overflowing? Well, there is a place to start, to reverse the trend. When I was in grade school, and we did the wrong thing, the Principal would break out the "Board of Education". It hurt, it was feared, no one wanted to get paddled. G_d forbid that the Principal called your parents, cause they would do what he or she did, but twice as much. Manners were learned, discipline was learned, respect and responsibility was learned. It was expected and in higher amounts, each grade level you graduated to.

Not so much these days... And we wonder why many children are backtalking parents and teachers, breaking the law, have no respect, no manners, no discipline, and take no responsibility for their actions?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 AM

30,084 posts, read 18,698,166 times
Quote:

The liberal solution- ban families so that there is no family violence.

Banning guns to avoid violence would be like banning money to avoid financial fraud.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Darkatt - I grew up with guns in our household. In fact I was using a .22 rifle to hunt rats at the local dump from about 8 years old. I did not have to be told that guns were dangerous because I saw what they could do.

I was also brought up by a semi stable alcoholic bully that also demanded that I use “polite” language while he could call me anything he wanted. As he had a small amusement park I was also effectively his slave because I had to maintain the machinery while he got drunk. This went on for a decade or so until I grew from a skinny weak kid to a very strong teen. One day he tried to “knock my block off” for some infraction (I think I called one of his creations a POS) and I picked up a handy 5’ long oak quarterstaff that I had learned to use. I told him to back off or I would do severe and lasting damage. He survived only because he believed me. I never considered using a gun because a club would be much more threatening and satisfying if I actually needed to use it. We got along fairly well after that. I worked on the park and he provided room and board.

Unfortunately he took up beating my mother and she never told me so I could put a stop to it. The result is my mom and I were pitched into poverty when she left and took me with her.

There are times and places where the use of force is legitimate. Physical assault to “teach” polite behavior is not one of them because the real lesson learned is that it is legitimate to hurt someone to get what you want. I’ll bet the kid that shot his mom was one of these kids.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
Default This day and age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Darkatt - I grew up with guns in our household. In fact I was using a .22 rifle to hunt rats at the local dump from about 8 years old. I did not have to be told that guns were dangerous because I saw what they could do.

I was also brought up by a semi stable alcoholic bully that also demanded that I use “polite” language while he could call me anything he wanted. As he had a small amusement park I was also effectively his slave because I had to maintain the machinery while he got drunk. This went on for a decade or so until I grew from a skinny weak kid to a very strong teen. One day he tried to “knock my block off” for some infraction (I think I called one of his creations a POS) and I picked up a handy 5’ long oak quarterstaff that I had learned to use. I told him to back off or I would do severe and lasting damage. He survived only because he believed me. I never considered using a gun because a club would be much more threatening and satisfying if I actually needed to use it. We got along fairly well after that. I worked on the park and he provided room and board.

Unfortunately he took up beating my mother and she never told me so I could put a stop to it. The result is my mom and I were pitched into poverty when she left and took me with her.

There are times and places where the use of force is legitimate. Physical assault to “teach” polite behavior is not one of them because the real lesson learned is that it is legitimate to hurt someone to get what you want. I’ll bet the kid that shot his mom was one of these kids.
he coulda shot his mom cause she told him to clean his room.

And while what your dad was reprehensible and wrong, the rest of my post stands. Did you go to school? Was there discipline? Was Manners and Responsibility taught and required? Have you been to a school lately to see what a teacher has to suffer with, and the fact that if a student is removed from class, it's now the teacher's fault according to the parents?

What I was talking about, home life, discipline, etc, was in generality, not specifically for all. Yes, there will always be those few with abusive parents. There will always be a teacher that is not as good as the next. In the grand scheme, most parents while i was growing up, would reserve corporal punishment for the worst of offenses, but it was there, and would be used. For the most part we didn't get "whipped" day in and day out, but we did receive discipline, we were expected to learn and use good manners, do our chores, clean our rooms, do our homework, be responsible, etc etc etc. It's just not the NORM these days.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,917,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
\
Most people are unstable and prone to violence.
Where are your statistics to back up this statement? I'm going to assume that it is an opinion so I will give mine as well. Most people are hard working, honest, upstanding citizens and it is the small percentage of violent thugs (or wannabe thugs) that ruin it for all of us. Laws are passed aimed at controlling the subset of the population but the impacts of these laws are widespread.

And I broke my self-imposed rule of responding to one of your posts in a gun thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies