Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Nobody "needs" an ultrasound to confirm a pregnancy or anything else. Nor is it "irresponsible" to NOT have one. Geeze, people are ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody "needs" an ultrasound to confirm a pregnancy or anything else. Nor is it "irresponsible" to NOT have one. Geeze, people are ignorant.
I'm in rep jail.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Since when? In what state is there such a law?

It doesn't have to do with laws but rather, standard medical practice. An u/s prior to an abortion is an absolute requirement for several reasons. One, to confirm the dates in order to know what kind of procedure is indicated, and to make sure there is even an in utero pregnancy. Beta hcg levels can be quite high in an ectopic pregnancy and doctors do not go rummaging around in the uterus with instruments unless they know there is a pregnancy in there.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually, it is done routinely in the first trimester and again later in pregnancy, more often if there is a multiple gestation. A woman can always refuse an ultrasound though.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Again I have to ask, since when? I had three children (followed 20 years later by one abortion) and never once had an ultra sound.
If you had normal pregnancies thirty years or so ago, then u/s was not routine at that time. It is used now to confirm dates and to check basic development in every pregnancy unless a woman refuses it, which some do.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Do you support having to view an ultrasound before an abortion?

Nope although I'm against abortion I don't feel you should put that kind of mental strain of the person I'm pretty sure they have their reason and why force them to have a child they don't want and will not love, I just wish people would be more resposable and use birth control.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
I'm also pregnant. I think people should mind their own damned business about this issue. I don't care what your morals are or your religious beliefs are about this issue. You have no more right to forbid me from having an abortion than you to forbid me an epidural or force me into your church.

Pregnancy is hell. I can barely walk. My back hurts all the time. I'm can't lift anything larger than about five pounds without grunting. I voluntarily chose to become pregnant and I'm voluntarily choosing to continue to stay pregnant. I am pleased with my decision.

But it's still none of your business and never will be!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
I have no objections to requiring a person to look at their ultrasound before being allowed an abortion. The people who really want an abortion will still have an abortion, so it really changes nothing.

The point is to make sure people are educated enough on the weight of their decision. To make sure they understand that they are not just discarding a meaningless piece of flesh, that they are destroying a life. And that life really exists, and it is developing inside you. And actually seeing it makes it less of this surreal idea of "yeah I'm pregnant", and more of a "There is a human being developing inside me, who will go to school, maybe even college, who will make friends, maybe play sports, maybe they will get married, maybe have kids of their own, and they will probably love me and adore me, even if we don't always agree on everything. And maybe I don't feel like I am ready to have this child, but what if I'm wrong?

I don't see anything wrong with educating people. Especially if their lack of knowledge has such a great impact. Many of these abortions are by very young girls(obviously), but they are a lot of times being directed by others rather than making their own decisions.

Abortion is simply not a "right", whether or not we want to make it legal must be based on the values of our society. There is no reason to believe that our society should not require a woman to be informed before making such a life-changing decision.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Gosh, now who's being snarky?

My Grandma lived through the Spanish Flu epidemic and the Great Depression as a nurse who bore and raised 14 healthy children without access to any machines.

It's a CHOICE.
Your grandma was raised in an entirely different time period. In this day and age, it is absolutely irresponsible to not make sure that everything is okay with your baby before it is born. Even Medicaid pays for it to be done, and that's saying something.

That being said, having 14 children, IMHO, is also irresponsible. Just sayin'.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM

But back to the topic at hand -- I'm curious to know how one can legislate "viewing" an u/s. Are they going to tape her eyes open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies