Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
For going against there parties and the people that elected them.

Better yet, look at the political past of those that did the deed.
That speaks volume.

Kennedy refused to sign the Civil rights act, a few times as Senator and as President.
MLK was a staunch Republican. Facing long jail or even death sitting in a southern jail, MLK made a deal with the devil.
Malcom X was about as radical as it gets. He himself called for violence.
Who is Olof Palme???
You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Yes, Kennedy didn't sign the 1957 Civil Rights Act. Fair enough. However, knowing that he'd run as a Democratic nominee in the primaries for the next election, he would've been toast...seeing as how he would've lost the South in the next election. And he did little for Civil Rights once he became president, but he was sidetracked by a lot of other equally important issues.

MLK may or may not have been a Republican, but once again, you're confusing the Republican Party of his day with the party of today. Big difference. And still, he didn't make a deal with the devil. Don't even know where you got that crap from.

Malcolm X was radical, but he DID NOT call for violence. He defused far more violence than he's given credit for. He simply said that if a man is violent towards you, that you should respond in kind...which is your right. I don't see how that can be seen as calling for violence. Hell, if you show violent tendencies towards me, you can best believe that i'm gonna respond violently....in fact, i'm gonna up the ante. That's common sense.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That might be so if it were true. So far as I can see, it isn't. The Constitution still works just fine and excesses are eventually corrected through the system, just as they're supposed to be.

Just because we don't happen to like some of the things they do doesn't mean it isn't Constitutional.

What's more troubling to me, and ulitimately as dangerous as anything, is just how little knowledge we as a people have about the Constitution and it's principles. Not knowing how our government operates under the Constitution makes everything look like some kind of conspiracy when, it fact, it may not be.

Such misunderstandings, based upon ignorance, are the breeding ground of charlatan's and hate-mongers, the ammunition of tyrannts and poison to our democracy.
lol Take the blinders off maybe you can see better because it is true. Since when is the Patriot Act constitutional? Since when is the Health Care theft package constitutional? Since when is the ban on marijuana constitutional? The government doesn't own you. It has no right to it's citizens money. It has no right to make laws that infringe on the rights of its citizens.

btw We are a Republic NOT a democracy. A nation of laws, not a nation of mob rule.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Malcolm X was radical, but he DID NOT call for violence. He defused far more violence than he's given credit for.

The "Bullet or the Ballot" ring any bells?

He refused to repudiate violence and often mocked ML King's non-violent approach.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
A Bush thread!

Well, then let's just remember Bush's thoughts on the Constitution....

"""Nothing but a !#@!+*! piece of paper!"
Be fair now. He agreed with it when it was convenient for him to do that.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
I opposed death threats from the antiwar camp. I remember lots of mainstream Dems who strongly opposed ANSWER, and a few (like Sen Joe Lieberman) who strongly opposed Michael Moore.

I would LOVE to see the equivalent on the GOP side now. Folks who will oppose a Glenn Beck the way Joe opposed Michael Moore.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Article I | LII / Legal Information Institute

Operates and is supposed to operate are two different things.

?????

I guess you'll have to explain it to me.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Well, then let's just remember Bush's thoughts on the Constitution....

"""Nothing but a !#@!+*! piece of paper!"

You people DO of course know that this quote has been debunked don't you?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
The "Bullet or the Ballot" ring any bells?

He refused to repudiate violence and often mocked ML King's non-violent approach.
Did you read the Autobiography of Malcolm X?

And yes...he did mock MLK's non-violent approach. So what? He believed in fighting back...so do i! And he refused to repudiate FIGHTING BACK! He sure as hell didn't think that you should be able to physically attack a person only to have the victim sing songs back to you. That isn't endorsing violence....again, that's COMMON SENSE!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Sorry, but I disagree.

Gandhi faced violence and won the day against the British by adopting a non-violent approach just as ML King advocated.

Violence breeds more violence.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
His propensity for violence against innocent people?

Many innocent people were murdered by terrorists on September 11....by misguided hate-filled people, but Bush wasn't one of them. Their sole target was innocent people!

The entire nation was in favour of bringing those responsible to justice (a majority of Democrats voted in favour of military action in both Afghanistan and Iraq, but especially Afghanistan - the "good war" as Obama calls it.)

The USA spends more money than anyplace on earth to prevent "collateral damage" and the killing of non-warring civilians within a war zone. The US Military's rules of engagement often place our soldiers in harms way in order to protect innocent lives.

Didn't you just make a false equivalency about death threats being OK because misguided people blame Bush for a fallacious reason?

And you certainly don't know exactly why the Tuscon shooter did what he did....don't pretend that you have a clue.

Bush and many of the uninformed tools in Congress didn't take the time to read the Scheuer Report, head of the CIA Bin laden unit. The gave us the reasons why they attacked us. US troops in Saudi Arabia, US sanctions against Iraq, and US funding of Israeli expansionism.

We've bombed Iraq for over 10 years. HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people have lost their lives. HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS is not by any stretch of the imagination collateral damage.

Ron Paul in the debates said it best,
"I believe very sincerely that the CIA is correct when they teach and talk about blowback. When we went into Iran in 1953 and installed the shah, yes, there was blowback. A reaction to that was the taking of our hostages and that persists. And if we ignore that, we ignore that at our own risk. If we think that we can do what we want around the world and not incite hatred, then we have a problem. They don't come here to attack us because we're rich and we're free. They come and they attack us because we're over there. I mean, what would we think if other foreign countries were doing that to us?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies