Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In response to the sleazy attacks by liberals attempting to shamelessly capitalize on the recent tragedy in AZ by blaming outspoken conservatives for the actions of an apparent paranoid schizophrenic, I have the following question.

If Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are somehow responsible for the actions of Jared Loughner, how are the Beatles not responsible for the actions of the Manson Family?

Sorry, Mo, I couldn't rep you again, but excellent point!!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
I don't think its fair to label anyone from either side responsible for this other than the individual who did it and I don't think any evidence to supports that.

However, I don't think its unfair to question the impact that could come from putting gun targets on political opponents, or comments about 2nd Amendment remedies if your side doesn't get what it wants, or saying things along the lines of use bullets if ballots don't work if an election doesn't go your way. There is plenty room for debate, and even fiery and angry debate and disagreements without that type of over the top nonsense.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
So Jodie Foster "incited" Hinckley to shoot Ronald Reagan. She didn't MAKE him do it, that decision erupted from his twisted mind. It is not even the same thing here, because there is no proof of who or what incited Loughner to do it. Yet, it's automatically assumed it was Sarah Palin, Rush, the tea partiers, etc. 17th century Salem has nothing on the liberal media...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
So Jodie Foster "incited" Hinckley to shoot Ronald Reagan. She didn't MAKE him do it, that decision erupted from his twisted mind. It is not even the same thing here, because there is no proof of who or what incited Loughner to do it. Yet, it's automatically assumed it was Sarah Palin, Rush, the tea partiers, etc. 17th century Salem has nothing on the liberal media...
Agree completely. When I hear people bemoan the current state of politics, I think back to the mid-19th century when we had a duel and fights on the floor of Congress. Really, we're quite tame now in comparison.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't think its unfair to question the impact that could come from putting gun targets on political opponents
Good idea Google

Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Good idea Google
That is wrong and stupid, I won't disagree with that. I do however think its a bit of a difference between some random nut job on the net doing something like that than an actual campaign or PAC doing something like that.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Do you have proof that something I wrote is untrue, or did you just want to do a little name calling?
Is it that difficult for you to recognize the hypocrisy of wailing about people in the media trying to paint Loughner as a tool of the right and simultaneously describing him as a liberal, which is first of all, untrue, and second of all, irrelevant, given that this is supposed to be a tragedy which is not reducible to politics?

Do you not recognize that you are doing the same thing you're complaining about?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
I think both sides should be ashamed. Sorry, I just feel that the main culprit is mental instability. Just as in the case of Manson. Whether or not he was liberal or conservative is not the point. Blood has been spilled due to the actions of this individual. The focus shouldn't be on political affiliation, but empathy and prevention. Neither conservative ideology or liberal ideology promote outright murder. So when I mean prevention, I'm stating that we should look at means to help the most unstable out of us.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
"I don't think its fair to label anyone from either side responsible for this other than the individual who did it and I don't think any evidence to supports that."

Obviosly, I agree with this statement, but the LSM was blaming Sarah Palin and associating Mr. Loughner with the tea party movement just as soon as the story broke. They had no reason to conclude any connection existed, yet for political reasons, they assumed it did none the less.

"However, I don't think its unfair to question the impact that could come from putting gun targets on political opponents, or comments about 2nd Amendment remedies if your side doesn't get what it wants, or saying things along the lines of use bullets if ballots don't work if an election doesn't go your way. There is plenty room for debate, and even fiery and angry debate and disagreements without that type of over the top nonsense."

Second Amendment remedies were written into the Constitution as a fail safe mechanism. It is the reason why the right to keep and bear arms is a right of the people and not the militia. Furthermore, funding of an army was not to exceed two years, thought a navy was intended to be continually funded. The Founders believed that an army could be used by the government to oppress the people. By requiring the army to be disbanded after two years, they hoped to give armed citizens a chance to reclaim liberties lost.

"There is plenty room for debate, and even fiery and angry debate and disagreements without that type of over the top nonsense"

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”

-Barrack Obama

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 AM

764 posts, read 597,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killingspree View Post
it's too bad Jared Loughner IS a liberal.
Naw, man. You guys have established that IYO, a liberal is someone who wants big Federal Government. The guy was very paranoid and distrustful of the federal government. He also said that people don't have to give into federal laws. Sorry, but you don't get to go back on that. He also read Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World (anti-communist), books that warned of big Government.

It could be either side. Or it could just be that hes...well, crazy. Like Chris Rock said: "Whatever happened to crazy?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies