Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM

160 posts, read 638,317 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here changed their US Citizenship status to that of a US National?

I am curious as to what hassle it entails.

My main reasons for entertaining the concept are to opt out of supporting the programs that I believe are fundamentally flawed. Namely, the Social Security Administration.

I do understand that one must complete a SSA 521 form, but what else is required for full national status?

It is my understanding that taxes are filed using a W-8BEN instead of a W-4 form when national status is declared. Is this correct, and can anyone provide further insight on this aspect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
Has anyone on here changed their US Citizenship status to that of a US National?

I am curious as to what hassle it entails.

My main reasons for entertaining the concept are to opt out of supporting the programs that I believe are fundamentally flawed. Namely, the Social Security Administration.

I do understand that one must complete a SSA 521 form, but what else is required for full national status?

It is my understanding that taxes are filed using a W-8BEN instead of a W-4 form when national status is declared. Is this correct, and can anyone provide further insight on this aspect?
I don't know. I suggest you call the State Department and the Social Security Administration.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I don't know. I suggest you call the State Department and the Social Security Administration.
I doubt they'd give you a straight answer. Especially if they found out why you wanted to give up your US citizenship. Not a bad idea though. I might look into it as well. After all, our constitution is merely a piece of paper at this point with no real meaning.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

90 posts, read 209,621 times
Btt

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
After all, our constitution is merely a piece of paper at this point with no real meaning.
You're right. We don't have three branches of government. Congress doesn't make laws. The Supreme Court doesn't hear cases. We have no military. There is no House of Representatives or Senate. We don't vote. There are no post offices. We don't hold jury trials...

...And of course, you're not free to say what you want about it all on the City-Data forums.

I respect your opinion that we're on a downhill slide, Texian, but your statement above is sensational at best, and just plain incorrect.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
After all, our constitution is merely a piece of paper at this point with no real meaning.
There lies one of the other major reasons for me considering this. From what I have read, a National only gets governed by the first Ten Ammendments at the Federal level, and is governed beyond that solely by state law. As we are both similar-minded Texans, I think you can understand my eagerness to follow this pursuit.

The reading I have been doing on it has come from here and here. I am just curious if there is anyone out there that has gone through the process and has any insight to add.

Some other issues that are claimed that a National has where a Citizen has are in regards to trial. For example, a National is governed under an innocent until proven guilty system, where a citizen is governed as guilty until proven innocent.

The National is officially only recognized and officially only recognizes The Republic of the United States of America, where a Citizen is recognized by The United States of America, or the Democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse
The Social Security Administration has hidden that form in their website. The only way you can pull it up that I have found is specifically by a search for "SSA 521". It is as if they do not want one to find it. And since it appears that way, I can almost guarrantee that contacting the Social Security Administration would prove to be futile at best.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
If this mean you will no longer be paying taxes, please assure me that you will no longer be using ANY taxpayer money in any way shape or form.
That does include looking at street signs, expecting storm cleanup, ssi or using any of the court system.
I don't want my taxpayer's money spent by any more deadbeats.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Please re-read my statement concerning which tax form to use. Obviously, one would still be paying taxes if they were concerned which form to use. However, it means that one would not be funding the Social Security Administration, and as such, not be drawing Welfare, Social Security "Benefits", or a Social Security retirement pension. However, the Social Security Administration is obligated to refund every penny that the person who opts out of Social Security has ever put into the system.

Furthermore, if I were to change my status to a National, I am not ever going to be using your taxpayer money, even if I still claim "taxpayer" status and did not claim "non-taxpayer" status. You live in Florida, I live in Texas, and I have no intention of ever going to Florida to look at your stop signs, sidewalks, six-foot tall mice or swamps.

As a US National, you are obligated to file some Federal taxes, just not with the Social Security Administration, and are still completely obligated to file all State taxes. Which, being that I reside in Texas and we have no income tax, all mine are "filed" under property taxes, school taxes, gasoline taxes, and sales taxes.

Comprende?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM

271 posts, read 934,018 times
Form SSA 521 is for stopping SS benefits once they have began, not for removing one from the SS system.

That, my friend, is not something the government would allow. The only people in American granted freedom from not paying into SS are priests (if they opt out), and Amish. Other than these religious annomalties, everyone is forced to pay in this "free" country. To do otherwise is a fast trip to a federal cell...

So either join the Amish, or become a priest and opt out...do it legally, if you want to avoid a prison cell...

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
Form SSA 521 is for stopping SS benefits once they have began, not for removing one from the SS system.

That, my friend, is not something the government would allow. The only people in American granted freedom from not paying into SS are priests (if they opt out), and Amish. Other than these religious annomalties, everyone is forced to pay in this "free" country. To do otherwise is a fast trip to a federal cell...

So either join the Amish, or become a priest and opt out...do it legally, if you want to avoid a prison cell...
I'm an ordained minister of the church of liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies