Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by descentofman View Post
Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses? Dickenson had you pegged long before you lived. Actually there were greedy dicks long before the greedy dicks of today. Before the time of Roosevelt they were called robber barons and worked the Chinese and Irish to death on rail roads and mines making them self rich and paying company script forcing the workers to buy from the company store and live in the company shacks constantly going behind. this is what the republicans want for the future of the nation. And you bubbas are buying into it like the zombies you are.

Most of these folks worried are far from bubba's . man where the hell in the world do you come from?

Now I am far to yankee and far to redneck, oddly perhaps with a long pony tail, but I am no bubba either, mainly because they wouldn't have me.

Yeah we got prisions but before you can go there as a minimum you gotta bust a cop in thje mouht, and then hang out to go to trial. You don't just go to prison and have everything suddely all cozy.

Work houses and poor farms went out in the 19th century. The liberals had this problem with child labor and liberals say a child can be aged to 26 years.

I never heard the term Robber Barons before it's new to me, I think you mean Carpet Baggers. In the USA they have been around since right after the Rev War, and were common right after the War beteen the States, most often callad the Civil War, of which thar' wuz nuthin civil about it.

Note how these Carbet Baggers are nowhere to be found during the war. I always found that interesting. It's probably because little well rounded fat guy with round eye spectacles make lousey warriors, and once things settle down with a pen they do their best damage.

This Govt is full of them at this point all big time spenders.

It's a good thing we still don't need oil that bad as I suspect many of these present day Carpet Baggers could be rendered into some pretty fine oil.

I might agree that could be a little messey, but then a mess happens anytime one needs oil right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
They should organize volunteer camps where people can do volunteer work for the city or state: in exchange for basic room and board.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,727 times
Why not simply bear true witness to our Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and State at-will employment laws, simply for the sake of morals. It could solve our dilemma of poverty in a market friendly manner.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

277 posts, read 166,843 times
I will never have a problem with having some of my taxes going towards programs to help others. I have been in both situations, the one where I am really down on my luck & I have also been on the other end where my bills have been paid, rent is paid & I've got money coming in that covers me & also left over to help out a friend who was in need. I don't make that much money but he helped me out when he had more money & I was more than happy to help him out when the situation was reversed. I think people need to put themselves in the shoes of others sometimes, there are way too many cold-hearted people on here.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
I will never have a problem with having some of my taxes going towards programs to help others. I have been in both situations, the one where I am really down on my luck & I have also been on the other end where my bills have been paid, rent is paid & I've got money coming in that covers me & also left over to help out a friend who was in need. I don't make that much money but he helped me out when he had more money & I was more than happy to help him out when the situation was reversed. I think people need to put themselves in the shoes of others sometimes, there are way too many cold-hearted people on here.
Yes, that is important to do. The problem is if you've never not had a place to live or wondered where dinner was coming from, or where your going to sleep that night its hard to do. And the "homeless" is a word which coveres many variations. Each is different and what helps one will not touch another. So it can't be approached with one idea or even several, but the needs of individuals need to be considered.

What you seldom see are people who are homeless or have been homeless asked what would have helped. One organization gave out food, but half of it was needing refrigeration or had to be cooked. If you don't have a refrigerator then its doesn't help much. When you have limited resources giving them out where they will do the most good is important. For this you need to know what the most important needs are over the lesser. I'd like to see a dialog with people who can say from experience what helped, and what didn't, and who can be given the respect of not being invisible.

When my mom was a kid living next to Hollywood, and the Great Depression was in full swing with hungry people passing through, my grandmother had a table and food for anyone who needed it. She didn't have a lot herself but she would do what she could. You apparently can't do that now, but I've been helped and in turn helped others too, because I wouldn't do less than my grandmother. Giving forward is a wonderful concept and pays off in its own special rewards.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Institutional friction in the market for labor needs to be solved by institutions; why not simply bear true witness to our Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and State at-will employment laws, simply for the sake of morals. It could solve our dilemma of poverty in a market friendly manner and help secure the Blessing of (economic) Liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Like it or not, we are going to have a real problem on our hands. Our jobs have been shipped overseas and the truth is there simply are NOT enough jobs to go around. I don't see this improving.

Some people who are over 50 have killed themselves in despair. Others in their 20s wonder how they'll ever get out from under their student loan debt or be able to find a job.

For those who don't have family or friends to fall back on, isn't is really government and business's responsibility to provide for some kind of housing? I mean, we bailed out Wall Street. Now it's their turn. What's your opinion?
We can't ever compete with China, India and other countries who are paying workers slave wages. (about $100 a month)

We need to fire as many government union employees as we can since they are tax dollar jobs and not real world private sector jobs.

All people on social programs past 6 months without a permanent disability should be put into a situation where they are inspired to become tax payers. That means an environment where they can get additional education if need be, but it should be hateful regarding living conditions or amenities (without TV) so they get off their butts.

How do we get families with multiple generations of section 8 welfare recipients?
No thrill tent cities with education centers would be great IMO.
Ban all laws against suing on this issue so the ACLU types can't force expensive unfordable endless social programs.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM

How does your view solve for a natural unemployment rate? Why is anyone advocating lowering our standard of living without a Just cause. Unemployment compensation for being unemployed would work better and solve the problem of jobs being exported to States which also subsidize their labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies