Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggling 408 View Post
I am not in medical billing and my company is 99% computerized and has been for years. It IS the medical loss ratio that is doing this to me and my co-workers. Our jobs were stable for many, many years before Obama decided to play regulator. I am not saying that the insurance companies never had regulations. But the 20% is administrative costs in the medical loss ratio and has nothing to do with taxes or writing anything off. You can't write off the income you pay your employees. I blame Obamacare 100% for ruining the insurance industry and taking my job. There were PLENTY of other options to improve the insurance and make it affordable without this disaster of a bill. They rushed and threw it together without putting real thought into any of it. The whole thing is a disaster...mark my words.
If you're job is in administration, obamacare didn't hit you, automation hit you.

Its doing the same thing in some of the cellular companies.

Why pay for managers and supervisors when you can have an automated system dispatch trouble tickets to drivers who are in constant communication that respond to it faster, fix it quicker, and you've cut out 30 to 40% of the total administration cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM

43 posts, read 94,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is all laid out in the Law, which is explained by the CBO, now here's a thought, read it!
My point is that we are out of money.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
I see a couple of issues with Obama care and this is forcing people to purchase large for profit insurance and subsidies to those working people who cant afford it. My issue with this it would be medicaid. I'd rather go without than carry that baggage called coverage.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
My point is that we are out of money.
Out of money, where did it go? Poor Wall Street and their poor investors perhaps. Oh, wait, we've been told they've paid those trillions back. Sure, I've got bridge to sell, all total BS. Plenty of money for Wall Street, no money left for the schumbag working american, how convenient.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you're job is in administration, obamacare didn't hit you, automation hit you.

Its doing the same thing in some of the cellular companies.

Why pay for managers and supervisors when you can have an automated system dispatch trouble tickets to drivers who are in constant communication that respond to it faster, fix it quicker, and you've cut out 30 to 40% of the total administration cost.
We had layoffs due to the automation years ago. Probably about 6 years ago. It's not due to automation at all. If it was, why are they sending some of the work to India if the computers can do it? They now can pay someone $2/hour that they were paying me $22/hr to do. MEDICAL LOSS RATIO...That is the cause. You can go ahead and say people have been outsourcing for years before Obamacare, but the fact is my company did not have to go down this route until the medical loss ratios were put into law, point blank.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
We had layoffs due to the automation years ago. Probably about 6 years ago. It's not due to automation at all. If it was, why are they sending some of the work to India if the computers can do it? They now can pay someone $2/hour that they were paying me $22/hr to do. MEDICAL LOSS RATIO...That is the cause. You can go ahead and say people have been outsourcing for years before Obamacare, but the fact is my company did not have to go down this route until the medical loss ratios were put into law, point blank.
Indian workers can be cheaper than automation in the states.

The problem with automation is that you build a system for x product. But what happens when the product changes slightly? Sometimes you have to buy a whole new system.

But we American workers are just to expensive, and yes, I understand the loss ratio. The company is cutting back to make up for their loss, through cutting administration costs.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Indian workers can be cheaper than automation in the states.

The problem with automation is that you build a system for x product. But what happens when the product changes slightly? Sometimes you have to buy a whole new system.

But we American workers are just to expensive, and yes, I understand the loss ratio. The company is cutting back to make up for their loss, through cutting administration costs.
That's why they just outsourced the IT dept to India late last year to take care of the computer systems. They can get upgraded systems for less and considering it was IBM doing the outsourcing I assume somewhat of a discount of the applications as well.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I am against anything government. Everything they run, there is NO accountability because they don't need to make a profit like private sectors do. Before we look at Obamacare, just look at Medicaid. Those who qualify Medicaid don't have to pay a penny to get any kind of care, no copay or anything like that. And for the rest of us who buy our own health insurance or get it from our employers, we have premium and copay to pay. No wonder cost of health care increase every year even when technology advanced every year.

And one of them, like many of point out, the law is 2000+ pages. If it really what it suppose to be, you can do it in 1 page. There is no need for 2000+ pages. Look at the legislature Ron Paul introduces, 1 paragraph. This is what we need.
So you are for anarchy then? You don't want a government. hmmmmm, trying to think of some place in the world with no government for you to live in.

I do agree with you about Medicaid---it shouldn't be totally free or it will be taken for granted and even abused. People have been saying for years that Medicaid recipients should have a small co-payment. I wish government would make that happen.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Please, share with us where you get your information?

From years/decades really, of reading and listening to both sides. Also I live in Massachusetts which DOES provide health insurance for all. It works great. The federal law will be modeled after the Massachusetts law.

Isn't Mass broke? Modeling anything after Massachusetts is a step in the wrong direction.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
I got an idea, how about the govt let me keep my money so I can afford insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies