Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,863 times

Advertisements

Medicare insures the most unhealthy of the population. What happens if every healthy American belongs to the "group"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,891,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
oz in SC, your numbers are "baked".

The tip-off was this initial claim:

The ACTUAL Medicare cost in 2008 was $386 billion, not $599 billion. The actual number of people eligible for Medicare is closer to 36 million, not 45 million.
Those were the figures I found....
Quote:
Medicare spending is growing steadily in both absolute terms and as a percentage of the federal budget. Total Medicare spending reached $440 billion for fiscal year 2007 or 16% of all federal spending and grew to $599 billion in 2008 which was 20% of federal spending.
Quote:
In 2008, Medicare provided health care coverage for 45 million Americans,[9] making it the largest single health care payer in the nation
Medicare (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The next hint about your "figuring" was when you arbitrarily cut the cost of health care in half to "adjust" for the difference in health care expenditures between the young and the old without determining the distribution of medical cost by age group and the distribution of population by age group.
We call that a WAG...
But it was generous I think to halve the costs.
What do you think is more likely?

Remember,none of this really matters,no-one cares what we think.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,824,228 times
Quote:
The next hint about your "figuring" was when you arbitrarily cut the cost of health care in half to "adjust" for the difference in health care expenditures between the young and the old without determining the distribution of medical cost by age group and the distribution of population by age group.
I've been looking around for that number myself. And I may have found it.

Quote:
The elderly (age 65 and over) made up around 13 percent of the U.S. population in 2002, but they consumed 36 percent of total U.S. personal health care expenses. The average health care expense in 2002 was $11,089 per year for elderly people but only $3,352 per year for working-age people (ages 19-64)
Ref. source: Keehan SP, Lazenby HC, Zezza MA, et al. Age Estimates in the National Health Accounts. Health Care Financing Review 2004 Dec. 2; 1(1); Web Exclusive.

So who has a calculator handy?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The cost you arrived at to cover everyone is equal to what is currently being paid into the system from private and public sources, so why would more pay-ins be needed?
No,the figure I arrived at was 300 million people(population roughly of the USA) paying $7500 per person per year.
But then those that cannot pay now and have no health care wouldn't suddenly have $7500 to spare would they?

Quote:
Do we know that "half" is a reasonable number, when every other country gets a bigger cut that 50%?
It sounds good,seems quite generous really.

Quote:
Not quite. However, the assumption that unhealthy people are more expensive in terms of health care is not necessarily correct.
If that is the case,then we should increase the cost estimate to closer what is spent now on medicare recipients shouldn't we?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Medicare insures the most unhealthy of the population. What happens if every healthy American belongs to the "group"?
Well according to grimreader,"the assumption that unhealthy people are more expensive in terms of health care is not necessarily correct"...

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

8,428 posts, read 7,438,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Those were the figures I found....
From Wikipedia.

Did you note that the $599 million was cited from a dubious source?

The 45 Million you counted included 7.5 million disabled and 37 million retirees over 65. I didn't consider the disabled when I cited 36 million.

Quote:
We call that a WAG...
But it was generous I think to halve the costs.
What do you think is more likely?
I think just what I stated - that you need to account for the distribution of medical costs across age groups and cross-reference by the distribution of population across age groups.

Anything else is just pulling numbers out of a dark and stinky place.

The GIGO principle can't be ignored.

Quote:
Remember,none of this really matters,no-one cares what we think.
Then why continue the dialog?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I've been looking around for that number myself. And I may have found it.

Ref. source: Keehan SP, Lazenby HC, Zezza MA, et al. Age Estimates in the National Health Accounts. Health Care Financing Review 2004 Dec. 2; 1(1); Web Exclusive.

So who has a calculator handy?
Okay!!!

So...
38.7 million over 65.
73 million under 18.
Roughly 188 million 19-64.

$429,000,000,000 for the oldies.
$630,176,000,000 for the 19-64.
How much for chilluns?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Title pretty much says it all...

The reason I am asking is,if this is a good example of a gov't run health care system then perhaps it could simply be expanded to cover all Americans?

Instead of 'reinventing the wheel' just take this system(if run well of course) and expand it.
Why didn't you include medicaid as well ?
That is government run healthcare with no premiums.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,824,228 times
Quote:
Well according to grimreader,"the assumption that unhealthy people are more expensive in terms of health care is not necessarily correct"...
True. The assumption that older people are more expensive, however, are correct. The important point here is that...

unhealthy people much more rarely become old people!

Basically, while a smokers lung cancer may be expensive for a year, and the fat guys heart attack, and the stroke, they are often short-term expenses.
A healthy guy who takes care of himself and lives till 85 will propably cost a lot more in health care than the fat fellow who pays taxes for 20 yeaers and then drops from a heart attack.

(Saving pension benefits too. Cold-hearted but true.)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia.

Did you note that the $599 million was cited from a dubious source?
Blame google...

Quote:
The 45 Million you counted included 7.5 million disabled and 37 million retirees over 65. I didn't consider the disabled when I cited 36 million.
All of those are on medicare correct?

Quote:
I think just what I stated - that you need to account for the distribution of medical costs across age groups and cross-reference by the distribution of population across age groups.
see above.

Quote:
Anything else is just pulling numbers out of a dark and stinky place.
Sometimes the numbers DO need pulling out of there.

Quote:
The GIGO principle can't be ignored.
Again,nothing written on this entire forum matters.

Quote:
Then why continue the dialog?
Passes the time,surely you don't think anyone pays ANY attention to the crap written here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies