Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Declaration of Independence asserts that all men are created equal.

The Second Amendment keeps us that way.

The second amendment failed to make all men equal for the first 80 years of it's existence while blacks were enslaved. And it failed to keep it that way for the next 100 years until the civil rights movement.

The fact that the second amendment preserves this right should not be the answer to the question "why do we need this right?" Laws and amendments can be changed. That's why amendments exist. We've already done away with one amendment (prohibition).

So far I have only heard a couple good reasons. To defend yourself from criminals and to go hunting are in there.

The idea that handguns will defend against a tyranical government is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
The 405, along with Interstate 5, is the busiest of the southland freeways. It's not a firearm caliber measure though that might be fun. Sorry. Forgot that not everyone lives in La La Land. How typical of my La self. And armed drivers? Yikes!

BTW. As far as likely places for bad / dangerous driving? It seems there is no such typical place. Everyone, nearly everywhere, is hurrying...multi-tasking...running late...we are supposed to be better connected, with technology as it is, but somehow, we have become more self absorbed and less connected than ever. Oh the humanity!

Ok wise guy is that LA in Cailwagg O fornia or that other LA where nor'eans is? Us rural Cow Hamstaites are rural and we don't know nuthin'

So far as I know there is no modern firearm in .405, but there is in that black stuff, and there it would be considered a gun for gray squirrels pretty much. I do have a .40 cal which the state of Cow Hamsta says is the minimum for a white tail deer, but I would have to be very hungery to try that idea out. A round ball is less than 1/2 the weight of of a more modern slug. My .40 round ball is really .390, maybe .395 if i use silk patches. and the ball seems like a pea compared to my .600 round ball.

That 600 seems small compared to what the Bess shoots which in my case is .735 inch.

But I knew you meant a road, I still just don't know where...

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
The second amendment failed to make all men equal for the first 80 years of it's existence while blacks were enslaved. And it failed to keep it that way for the next 100 years until the civil rights movement.

The fact that the second amendment preserves this right should not be the answer to the question "why do we need this right?" Laws and amendments can be changed. That's why amendments exist. We've already done away with one amendment (prohibition).

So far I have only heard a couple good reasons. To defend yourself from criminals and to go hunting are in there.

If slaves had firearms, they would have been free that day.

See how that works?

Can you name an armed society in which a totalitarian government came to power and ruled in defiance of the people without a firearm confiscation program?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:

If your a bit low on something to put in that dream pipe of yours let me know and I can send some black powder ok?

In the War between the states there was a all black regiment, that I believe would disagree with you.

Slavery is plain wrong in any times, but has been a constant that so far won't just go away. It still exisits today as it has since man came down from trees.

The problem on the North American Continent started a long time before the Framers were a glint in their daddies eye.

Why does everyone act as if slavery never existed in any other places at any other times?

It's not like the Framers said Bam we have a new country lets go slavin.

The problem was already here, presented by the Spanish, then the French and then the English long before there was any USA.

And then it wasn't white man running whilley nilly in deepest dark Africa either. Blacks had wars since the dawn of man and took slaves and sold them to any buyers. That's any buyers. I don't care how far you go back in time there has been slavery, and it always started with black selling blacks.

Today I know some blacks that have far better gun collections than me and a bunch of other whites I know that own many many guns.

Those blacks are not going to give up their guns any more than I am.

Dream on.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That can be rather mis-leading. Here in CA it is "possible" to get a CC permit but you have a better chance of winning the lotto or finding a politician with morals.

For the average smuck that has a dangerous job? Not so much.
I've read on gun forums, that some of the rural counties in CA routinely issue them, but the sheriffs in more urban parts tend to only give them to the rich, politicians, or campaign supporters...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

The first gun control laws in this country were in the South and aimed at disarming Blacks. First when they were slaves, and later, when they were freed. The 14th Amendment was in large part passed as a response to post-Civil War gun laws that disarmed Blacks and poor Whites, but the SCOTUS gutted it and instead supported lynch mobs over the 14th and 2nd Amendments.

The second amendment says arms, not handguns. The intent was that individuals have all the weapons that soldiers would have. Including, today, machineguns, grenades, artillery, etc. We need to do away with the NFA restrictions on these items.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?
Here are a few reasons...

http://www.visionaryrealtynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/burglar.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well I own 3 Ak-47 clones, but never used one yet for self defence. Instead I carry one of several .45 pistols and at home use a pump 12 ga shot gun. I still have the shot gun I used to defend my home and family with. I had to work the next day as a foreign car mechanic and being a whimp I need both hands to work, so beating the pulp out of a drugged up bad guy the liberals released on paroll after 6 other crimes all violent and drug related isn't any option for me. I can't feed my wife and child if I don't work like x cons on welfare can. I don't get social services for being a violent offender like violent x cons do.

I tried to get my wife to grow her very own penis like TK and you have, but she simply laughs at me and refuse with out any thinking. I know she does think about it a bit since her answers are so fast.

If she would just grow a big penis she might not be a whimp like me.

What did you take to grow a big penis, was it whey? Did you work it out?

How many bad guys can you deal with at one time with your big penis? Do they call you gay if you wack out a bunch of bad guys with your big penis?

Sorry bud. Don't use my penis on men. Can't relate......

Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've read on gun forums, that some of the rural counties in CA routinely issue them, but the sheriffs in more urban parts tend to only give them to the rich, politicians, or campaign supporters...
Yup, and not being any one of those I'm sol. I even stated that I made large night deposits of cash and was denied as , 'not enough reason'.

So I was forced to unloaded open carry and then in a locked case while in the car.

Of course I coulda loaded pretty fast with my auto but if someone has already got the drop on you , you are kinda hosed.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
The 405, along with Interstate 5, is the busiest of the southland freeways. It's not a firearm caliber measure though that might be fun. Sorry. Forgot that not everyone lives in La La Land. How typical of my La self. And armed drivers? Yikes!

BTW. As far as likely places for bad / dangerous driving? It seems there is no such typical place. Everyone, nearly everywhere, is hurrying...multi-tasking...running late...we are supposed to be better connected, with technology as it is, but somehow, we have become more self absorbed and less connected than ever. Oh the humanity!
I rode a motorcycle for years everyday on the 405, from Reseda to Long Beach and back. When everyone was packed in like sardines moving 10 to 20 mph, I am zipping between the traffic. What would normally have been a 1.5 to 2 hour drive in a car/truck, took me 45 minutes on average.

I also did not have to deal with road rage. By the time the vast majority of the drivers knew I was around, I was already going past them.

To this day, 20 years later, I am convinced that the only reason I survived was because I drove like I was invisible, and every vehicle on the road was out to get me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies