Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Hi, Here in Cookeville Tennessee there must be at least 10 people that have Hummers. What do you think about this subject?

News, Vandals Batter Man's New Hummer.

When Gareth Groves brought home his new Hummer SUV, he knew his eco-friendly neighbors disapproved. But he didn't expect this.

His Hummer only lasted five days. On Monday, two masked men were seen taking a bat to every window, knifing each tire and scratching a message into the body — "For The Environ."

Story - Vandals Batter Man's New Hummer - AOL News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:29 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Did they do it with environmentally friendly bats and biodegradable knives?

No, really. This is sad how much liberal envirofreaks think they now have the right to destroy property because they don't like the gas mileage you get.

Little do they realize that switching from a regular american diet to being a vegan will prevent more environmental damage than trading in a Hummer for a Prius. Better not let that get out or they'll be in everybody's backyard smashing their grill to save mother earth. Morons.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
I wonder how those guys would fit in to a discussion about "Tolerance"?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:41 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
He brought a Hummer but still lives with his mom? I don't condone the vandalism but this is kind of funny.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
People who go around destroying property like this are terrorists. They should be caught and thrown in jail for EXTENDED periods of time.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Let's be honest-- those boys might have been RAISED in Tennessee, but they're acting PURE L.A.!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
I read this article earlier.
I dont condone hurting other peoples stuff at all so
I am commenting from a neutral position but, it is sheer
naivete to think in this day and age that if you do something
that is offensive to a lot of people, someone is not going to
'comment' on it in an undesirable way.....
Driving a Hummer in some areas is like driving a pick-up
with a rebel flag on it through Detroit or Compton.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
I totally do not condone the vandalism at all. I don't care if you don't agree or not you do NOT destroy someone elses property. What is even worse is the flat out hypocrisy of one of the neighbors. In this "upscale neighborhood" one neighbor says, "Neighbor Lucille Liem, 37, who owns a Prius hybrid, told the Post that a common sentiment in the neighborhood is that large vehicles are impractical and a strain on the Earth — and Hummers in particular are a symbol of consumer excess."

Hmmm, CONSUMER EXCESS yet she LIVES in this VERY UPSCALE neighborhood. Wonder how much energy is used to keep her house running? Does she along w/ the rest of the people that look down on Hummers NEED a home that large? They are no more concerned w/ the environment themselves by living in "consumer excess" themselves.

The other thing that gets me about some of these whack jobs that would do this is they don't realize that what they do causes MORE harm to the environment. When a vehicle is painted at a body shop for repairs which this one will need there are VOC's that are released into the air. Those lights that were knocked out........ how much energy is going to be used now to make new ones? The company that makes those is going to be polluting the environment in some way. Reminds me of the morons that sat fire to a bunch of Hummers a year or so ago at a dealership destroying most of them. It was a HUGE fire. Thought they were doing "good" by destroying the Hummers but what they did caused pollution not to mention the man power wasted by the firemen and the precious commodity of water that had to be used to put the fires out. Makes you want to smack them up side the head for their total stupidity.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
I would wait to see who is accused before assuming that it wasn't pure vandalism hiding their intent with that message. If this took place in DC, upscale neighborhoods don't mean large homes, so the energy used on the neighbors home may be a moot issue.

If it was a pair of nuts really doing it for environmental reasons, then the obviously don't understand the way to obtain long term support.

And I have no problem with SUV's, so I'm not taking their side. I just want to see a bit more of the story before I assume anything. The neighbor's comments were irrelevant, unless she planned or participated in the vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies