Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gun-Control Effort Coming Soon From White House - Newsweek

Here comes all that stuff Gun owners have feared from the moment Obama was elected president.

let the poop flinging begin...
This topic is brought up every year. No one wants your guns.
Last year people thought he was going after guns, this conspiracy has been around for years if not decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But why bother?

There are much more important issues to deal with.

Of course politics is all about distraction....

Distract the stupid voters from how crappy life actually is and focus on something totally unimportant.
Really?

Is your life crappy?

If it is, why are you blaming anyone but yourself?

What happened to the right's alleged belief in taking 'personal responsibility' ?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
This topic is brought up every year. No one wants your guns.
Last year people thought he was going after guns, this conspiracy has been around for years if not decades.
And the gun industry will be laughing all the way to the bank as the sheeple line up in panic and BUY! BUY! BUY!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

Is your life crappy?

If it is, why are you blaming anyone but yourself?

What happened to the right's alleged belief in taking 'personal responsibility' ?
Psst,I am not a stupid voter who gets all excited about the prospect of banning guns....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
theres not???
That is not the words of the President. Yes some do want a total ban, I am against it and so are most Americans so it ain't gonna happen, period.
Casper

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gun-Control Effort Coming Soon From White House - Newsweek

Here comes all that stuff Gun owners have feared from the moment Obama was elected president.

let the poop flinging begin...
NONENSE!!!

The idiotic gun-nuts on the right are just angry that the president HASN'T brought up gun-control so that they'd have a rallying cry. They've tried to bait him over and over again, and he's never taken them up on it.

Sorry, aint gonna happen. But keep dreaming.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The shooting in AZ was not unimportant - it ended six innocent lives and wounded many people. We need to ban all firearms.
I am seriously wondering if you thought this statement through. Do you realize how long a properly maintained firearm can last? Hundreds of years. So, in this context, banning firearms would do what, exactly?

You realize there are MILLIONS of guns in private ownership. Most are unregistered and people have no clue where these guns are. So what do you propose? Send the police to every househould in America, kick in the door, search for these guns, and confiscate them? Do you realize the number of gun battles which would take place? The number of dead police officers and civilian's; ones who are not going to give up their guns? Ruby Ridge and Waco were BOTH over firearms.

What about the government confiscating personal property, without due process of law? So what do you propose, pay everyone for all their firearms? Where is the billions of dollars going to come from?

Not too mention, you realize of course, firearms were banned in places such as Northern Ireland and they were able to procure all sorts of weapons. Weapons stolen from the police (yes, that happens here too) and smuggled in. Remember, if you have enough money you can get ANYTHING. So someone is going to start smuggling guns into the US. You think the border wars over marijuana and other drugs is bad, wait until the gun smuggling starts.

Its another "feel good" proposition. However, one which will not work.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM

182 posts, read 406,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The shooting in AZ was not unimportant - it ended six innocent lives and wounded many people. We need to ban all firearms.
Google illegal alien rape. They are doing FAR more damage than what happened in AZ yet the government turns a blind eye. The only reason AZ is an issue is because a politician was injured. Once one of their family members is raped or murdered by one of these illegals, only then will we see the politicians decry illegal immigration.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That is not the words of the President. Yes some do want a total ban, I am against it and so are most Americans so it ain't gonna happen, period.
Casper

Damn.....that sounds like some other bill that was passed here recently.....most Americans were also against it.....Ahhhhhhhh what was it......

Oh yea....Obama care.....

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Obama is currently in a mode of fence straddling and appeasement. He is trying his best to please as many people as possible with his words so that he can be reelected. My bet is that he makes push for minor changes in gun laws so he can tell his far left wack job base that strict gun control is a long hard process and we have to take small steps. He will then campaign to independents saying he respects gun ownership and only wanted minor tweaks to prevent tragedies. Nothing will get through the GOP house anyway, so all he is doing is trying to appease the gun hating left.

Personally, I would love it if he would just be honest and speak from his heart and tell everyone that he wants guns banned with minor exceptions for hunters. It would be refreshing to hear him be truthful first and foremost. Second, it would never go anywhere legislatively. Third, it would make it damn near impossible for him to be reelected.
Peter King R-NY is doing the same thing. I agree that Obama's base expects it, but I think you'd be surprised at the number of folks on both side of the isle who think the gun issue is out of hand in this country. I'm from a family of hunters--I'm a woman and I grew up hunting as a girl. My husbands and sons are all hunters now. We probably have 15 shotguns and rifles in our house, and even I don't think we need to allow people to carry semi-automatic pistols to public events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies