Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Those poor children.
What a horrible comment... seriously. I know children who are being raised & have been raised within gay families, and they turned out just fine - wonderfully, for the most part. I'd rather have two loving gay parents, than deal with what some children from "traditional families" have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
this is why you don't mix politics with your business.. make a chicken sandwich, that's what you're good at. Now they will suffer the consequences...
Can't have opposing views I guess....it is all about tolerance.

Tolerance of views that conform.

Funny thing is,most of you don't see your own intolerance.

But hypocrisy is pretty commonplace.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I tried it and I don't like it. I never eat there.

Their stance is stupid and doesn't make sense business-wise. Alienating a segment of the population? That is not how I would run a business.
You mean your principles are less important then money?

Interesting....

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't think they really care about "politics" either, to be honest. The owners are Christians. They don't open on Sunday. They try to honor God with their business.

Honestly...it's sad when the intolerance of the tolerance police think they can strong-arm people like this.
How are they/we strong-arming anyone? I haven't read every post on this thread, but it seems people are merely going to stop (or continue) eating there... the restaurant can still do whatever they want, and we can choose whether or not to spend money there. What else could be done, really?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Because someone supports family values does not mean they are "anti" anything. Sounds like once again the radicals are looking for a place to vent their hate/rage. . .
Yes...always looking to be offended and outraged.

But they have little else to go on.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have a tendency to do that... I have OCD, so I tend to be over-thinking a million things at once.
Wasn't "my" Dorito thread... I don't think I've ever started a thread on here, in fact. And while I did quote you, some of my comments were more general - and not even fully directed at one side over another. It's just that we all let our personal feelings affect logic occasionally, and it can lead to a whole bunch of hypocrisy. I do it too sometimes, but at least I make a conscious effort not to be hypocritical.
Again, it wasn't all specifically directed at you, hence the reason I used plurals. If I'm the first person on an internet forum to go off on a tangent, I would be VERY surprised... so don't get your pants in a wad over it, LOL. Sorry if I misused your comments, but it just summarized the overall tone here.
I'm no radical or extremist, but I also think this "traditional family" BS is just that - BS. There's really no such thing anymore, when you consider how many children are being raised in "alternative" situations... being raised by grandparents, single parents, gays & lesbians, step-parents, Aunts/Uncles, foster families, etc. So what is a traditional family, and who has the right to be included?
Well, I actually appreciate the explanation and your view.
Traditional I guess is pretty accepted as an intact family with a man and a women raising a family. I don't see how that can be misconstrued into hating?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
On the flip side, just because Doritos made a "gay ad," that doesn't mean they are PRO anything... can't have it both ways, oh righteous ones. Many of us said on that thread "if you don't like the ads, don't buy Doritos - simple as that." But nooooooo, you still had to whine & moan about how they're pushing their beliefs on you, and that the ads shouldn't be allowed to air. Gawd, the hypocrisy of this whole issue makes my head spin.
You DO see that the hypocrisy is from BOTH sides right???
I ask because you seem to only be addressing the hypocrisy from the side you don't support.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
How are they/we strong-arming anyone? I haven't read every post on this thread, but it seems people are merely going to stop (or continue) eating there... the restaurant can still do whatever they want, and we can choose whether or not to spend money there. What else could be done, really?
Did you read the news article? Did you read any of the postings below it? It's just too common nowadays. People whine about "tolerance" when really what's expected is conformity to their viewpoints. If we're truly about tolerance, this article shouldn't have 22+ pages discussing it. They are free as a private company to do what they want. Can we not tolerate them even if they disagree with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't think they really care about "politics" either, to be honest. The owners are Christians. They don't open on Sunday. They try to honor God with their business.

Honestly...it's sad when the intolerance of the tolerance police think they can strong-arm people like this.
Yup...but see,there is GOOD intolerance and BAD intolerance.

Having values differing from the various protected classes on the left is BAD intolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You DO see that the hypocrisy is from BOTH sides right???
I ask because you seem to only be addressing the hypocrisy from the side you don't support.
I said it wasn't directed at one side over the other... so yes, I do realize that.

As for me personally, I've maintained pretty much the same stance - private businesses can do as they please, and we can either buy their products or not. I also said I don't care about a business' political or religious views, and shop where I want regardless. So no hypocrisy there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies