Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,690,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Biden is the vice president, my vice president if he is complete idiot I would like to know... Now we know he is
Unbelievable! Here we are on the brink of possibly having Egypt taken over by Islamic fundamentalists and some are still pointing a finger at biden because of his comment. It's like the house is burning down and someone's complaining that they forgot to take out the garbage. Sheesh! It doesn't matter! get off the partisan BS.

Can anyone here in this thread name 1 country in the middle east besides Israel that is a true democracy? Just 1...........anybody? Egypt is a democracy by degree if you factor in the rest of the middle east crapholes. Egyptians had much more freedom and stability than any other ME country. And if Mubarak goes, I guarentee that they will have alot less freedom when the mullahs take over. And I predict that if egypt goes so will Jordan, Yemen and the prize....Saudi Arabia. Iran will be the main player and the price of gas will be 20.00 bucks a gallon if you can find any. We are on the edge of some very deep, worldwide dodo. Forget about Biden, we all better hope that Mubarak can restore order for the sake of our's, Israel's and the rest of the world's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
Obama is now going to make a statement...

Unrest in Egypt | Page 3 | Liveblog live blogging | Reuters.com
"White House spokesperson says President Obama to make statement on situation in Egypt shortly."

Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Unbelievable! Here we are on the brink of possibly having Egypt taken over by Islamic fundamentalists and some are still pointing a finger at biden because of his comment. It's like the house is burning down and someone's complaining that they forgot to take out the garbage. Sheesh! It doesn't matter! get off the partisan BS.

Can anyone here in this thread name 1 country in the middle east besides Israel that is a true democracy? Just 1...........anybody? Egypt is a democracy by degree if you factor in the rest of the middle east crapholes. Egyptians have much more freedom than any other ME country. And if Mubarak goes, I guarentee that they will have alot less freedom when the mullahs take over. And I predict that if egypt goes so will Jordan, Yemen and the prize....Saudi Arabia. Iran will be the main player and the price of gas will be 20.00 bucks a gallon if you can find any. We are on the edge of some very deep, worldwide dodo. Forget about Biden, we all better hope that Mubarak can restore order for the sake of our's, Israel's and the rest of the world's future.
I'm not sure we are there yet. From the reports I have been reading and listening to, the fundamentalists are not a serious political force .......... yet. But I agree its a serious risk.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,959,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
U
Can anyone here in this thread name 1 country in the middle east besides Israel that is a true democracy? Just 1...........anybody?
Israel is not a Democracy. Hell, Israel doesn't even have a Constitution or a Bill of Rights. Israel will nuke itself before it allows any group other than Ashkenazi Jews to rule the country.

In truth, Israel is not a democracy | al.com

Last edited by dorado0359; 01-28-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM

657 posts, read 699,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
I am confused- I believe the Egyptian people now want Egypt to become an islamic state, meaning it will no longer be democratic correct? This will not be good for us.
No you got it all wrong. The Egyptian people now want Egypt to become a democracy, meaning it will no longer be a US-sponsored dictatorship. So yea that will not be good for us I guess.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,658,913 times
Cyprus, Iraq, Lebanon, and Turkey would be the other countries in the mideastern region with some form of electoral democracy. Yemen has a form of democracy, though it doesn't appear to be working all that well. Iraq's "democracy" is something of a joke, and Lebanon has its share of trouble.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:48 PM

657 posts, read 699,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Cyprus, Iraq, Lebanon, and Turkey would be the other countries in the mideastern region with some form of electoral democracy. Yemen has a form of democracy, though it doesn't appear to be working all that well. Iraq's "democracy" is something of a joke, and Lebanon has its share of trouble.
Iraq was more of a democracy before the invasion than it is now. Al-Sadr will take over Iraq the minute the US pulls out.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM

499 posts, read 406,031 times
Quote:
Maybe a bit hasty.

I can't believe Mubarak's statement.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM

250 posts, read 564,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Breaking news, three private jets lifting off from Cairo airport. Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world!
That's acceptable looting I guess. Funny world!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,037,797 times
US 'losing credibility by the day' on Egypt: ElBaradei

Quote:
US 'losing credibility by the day' on Egypt: ElBaradei
Didn't Axelrod come out and say the US has secretly fostered the opposition?

See, obama's stuck in a paralysis.

What kind of precedent will it set for other allies in the region if obama abandons a long time ally?

On the other hand, if he does throw Mubarak under the bus and radical factions take over Eqypt, he might be fostering WWIII.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...com+-+World%29

More Egyptian protesters demand that White House condemn Mubarak

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...egypt-1.340057

Obama will go down in history as the president who lost Egypt

Who knew this is the kind of "smart" power obama was talking about when deciding to "reset" those relationships (that never really needed resetting in the first place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies