Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
More than 90% of the reasons given for abortion were from people who knew they didn't want to get pregnant, but failed to prevent it.

So yes, clearly the data shows (which you left off when you quoted me) that people getting abortions favor this method over being responsible and using effective birth control.
I left off part of your post because it had nothing to do with what I was commenting on and most people will not read all of those stats again.

Your data does not show that anyone prefers abortion over birth control.....or that anyone is pushing abortion over birth control either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
You can dance around it all you want but most societies and religions agree that killing someone outside the womb is murder. Many societies and religions even our own do not agree that an early abortion is anything of the sort. Abortion, for example, is completely legal in many places including Israel, Japan and Russia.

Ultimately I don't care how you feel. You don't govern my uterus and you don't have say over it. An early abortion is not some sort of great moral evil. What is evil is an inability to tell the difference between a six week old fertilized egg that may or not become something and an actual human being.
Justify it to yourself all you want. Doesn't make it any less evil. Perhaps our vile, consumerist, selfish-oriented society has legalized murder, but there will be justice eventually.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
And here I thought the priority of the Republicans was to work on jobs, and the economy...

Old habits die hard I suppose.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Justify it to yourself all you want. Doesn't make it any less evil. Perhaps our vile, consumerist, selfish-oriented society has legalized murder, but there will be justice eventually.
I will tell you what is evil. DELIBERATELY creating embryos, knowing full well that most of them will be destroyed or frozen for eternity, just because you are so full of yourself that you only want a baby that carries your own genes, instead of adopting an existing child that needs someone to love them. THAT is evil.

With abortion, you are dealing with a mistake. Women do not get pregnant on purpose, just so they can abort.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
I love how fetuses are these innocent little creatures while the rest of us are vile, evil, consumerist, selfish murderers. Real life is a lot more complicated than simplistic slogans and over the top santimonious rhetoric. On one hand I think the anti-abortionists have a point. On the other I think it is a minor point and hardly worthy of the ludicrous indignation and strutting outrage they seem to take such comfort in.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I love how fetuses are these innocent little creatures while the rest of us are vile, evil, consumerist, selfish murderers. Real life is a lot more complicated than simplistic slogans and over the top santimonious rhetoric. On one hand I think the anti-abortionists have a point. On the other I think it is a minor point and hardly worthy of the ludicrous indignation and strutting outrage they seem to take such comfort in.
Murderers come up with lots of "reasons" that in their minds justify their crimes.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I will tell you what is evil. DELIBERATELY creating embryos, knowing full well that most of them will be destroyed or frozen for eternity, just because you are so full of yourself that you only want a baby that carries your own genes, instead of adopting an existing child that needs someone to love them. THAT is evil.

With abortion, you are dealing with a mistake. Women do not get pregnant on purpose, just so they can abort.
What makes you think I support that practice? Until the technology is to the point where no embryos are destroyed, and I do not foresee that happening, I oppose that technology. There are so many kids in need of adoption to begin with.

I am outraged by abortion for the same reason most people are outraged by any other murder.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Murderers come up with lots of "reasons" that in their minds justify their crimes.
Okay then. Tell us what you want to do with all those people you deem murderers. Investigate miscarriages? Imprison women? Put doctors in jail? Because we tried all that. The world still tries that. All it does is drive women underground and sometimes kill them.

And if it's wrong to kill embryos I want to know why it's okay to espouse policies that will kill actual full grown people. A woman's reproductive choices are simply a lot more complex than some right wing anti-abortion religious fanatic's thoughts.

My reproductive choices are between myself and my conscience. You can try to squeeze yourself in there but you still don't fit. More importantly you don't matter and never will. You will never stop me from keeping sovreignty over my uterus.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Okay then. Tell us what you want to do with all those people you deem murderers. Investigate miscarriages? Imprison women? Put doctors in jail? Because we tried all that. The world still tries that. All it does is drive women underground and sometimes kill them.

And if it's wrong to kill embryos I want to know why it's okay to espouse policies that will kill actual full grown people. A woman's reproductive choices are simply a lot more complex than some right wing anti-abortion religious fanatic's thoughts.

My reproductive choices are between myself and my conscience. You can try to squeeze yourself in there but you still don't fit. More importantly you don't matter and never will. You will never stop me from keeping sovreignty over my uterus.
There were far, far fewer abortions when they were outlawed. I would impose the same penalty as murder for those involved (prison, I oppose the death penalty).

What policies are you referring to, killing fully grown humans?

Your rights stop when they infringe on another's rights. In this case, that's the right to life.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
There were far, far fewer abortions when they were outlawed. I would impose the same penalty as murder for those involved (prison, I oppose the death penalty).

What policies are you referring to, killing fully grown humans?

Your rights stop when they infringe on another's rights. In this case, that's the right to life.
No there weren't. They were just in back alleys instead of legalized and safe. Unsafe abortions will kill people. But they're evil women who deserve to die and not innocent fetuses so who cares, right? The truth is that people will get one whether you like it or not. I personally know at least five people who had abortions before they were legal. Anything else is a delusion. Abortions will still continue. The only question is safe and legal or unsafe and illegal.

You can't stop it. You can't even really reduce it unless you support better birth control methods and sex education. But most anti-abortionists are opposed to rational methods. Instead they're rather pat themselves on the back and scream murder. That sort of smug congratulatory nonsenses doesn't work and never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies