Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Captain America has gone through many incarnations over the decades. He's still the most jingoistic character in the books, even if it is toned down. It's not about patriotism, it's that he is a very idealistic person.

And what is wrong with patriotism?? What is wrong with loving your country??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
From the financial markets to foreign policy to outsourcing jobs and everything in between, it is all part of the indoctrination into the new global world order.

It's not a partisan issue either, because they have all been in on it.

That's why these recent events in the Middle East have me questioning what is going on in that context.

There is no reason for nationalism nor patriotism in their model.

Gordon Brown explains the new world order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5cqh26CC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPYa...eature=related

Why do people think government policies were being made to usher in greater outsourcing operations.

Why is there no resistance from either party on stopping the flow of illegal immigrants into the US.

Why does every country in Europe have a major influx of immigrants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4JH...eature=related

Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,143 times

Tbh, a movie about this soldier guy raised in the 30s meeting the America of today could be quite good if well made.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
People...it's called ENTERTAINMENT!

That means that you watch it and take it with a grain of salt. I watched Capt America as a kid, and the words nationalism, patriotism, and jingoism never crossed my mind. I just wanted to see what his latest adventure would be. And somehow i think that 99% of Capt America watchers were doing the same.

There are plenty of patriotic themed films at the video rental store. Go pick one up and stop whining over this picayune matter.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Default Somebody's making a different movie than the one I imagined! It's an outrage!

Make your own damn movies, it's a free country. The movie industry isn't the propaganda arm for any ideology - it's one of the most market-driven, cut-throat capitalist businesses out there. The competition for the box-office buck is of the sort to bring a tear to Ayn Rand's eye.

If there's an insufficient amount of flag-waving for your taste, it's because the people who have their money tied up in the project feel that hyperpatriotism won't sell.

Feel free to raise money for a movie project that fits your patriotic tastes better - there's an entire industry that'll be very happy to provide all the services needed to shoot, edit and distribute it, as long as there's cash on the barrelhead.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
People...it's called ENTERTAINMENT!

That means that you watch it and take it with a grain of salt. I watched Capt America as a kid, and the words nationalism, patriotism, and jingoism never crossed my mind. I just wanted to see what his latest adventure would be. And somehow i think that 99% of Capt America watchers were doing the same.

There are plenty of patriotic themed films at the video rental store. Go pick one up and stop whining over this picayune matter.
This is not a petty matter. This is a symptom of a bigger issue in this country. The very word "America" has become another in a long line of PC terms and phrases that might "OFFEND" somebody!! And I for one am tired of it!

And now we have this movie toning down the character's back story.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
This is not a petty matter. This is a symptom of a bigger issue in this country. The very word "America" has become another in a long line of PC terms and phrases that might "OFFEND" somebody!! And I for one am tired of it!

And now we have this movie toning down the character's back story.
Is this even a serious post? This matter can't possibly be anymore petty than it already is.

Like another poster said, go make your own movies if you don't like it. Geez...some people will be miserable over ANYTHING.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
The title of the movie is not important. Making money is. This is a marketing decision intended to ensure the movie makes as much money as possible in all world markets. If the title "Captain Zero" will make $1 billion and the title "Captain America" will make $500 million, then guess what the title of the movie will be.

No prizes for guessing correctly.

[ironically, the toys associated with the movie will be made in China]

Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
How the hell can they call it Captain "America"?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is this even a serious post? This matter can't possibly be anymore petty than it already is.

Like another poster said, go make your own movies if you don't like it. Geez...some people will be miserable over ANYTHING.
AND THAT'S YOUR OPINION!!

By the way, which you can give FREELY because this is America.

And if it's so petty, why come in here and discuss??

It's attitudes like yours that make hollywood feel that these kinds of moves are ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies