Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
AND THAT'S YOUR OPINION!!

By the way, which you can give FREELY because this is America.

And if it's so petty, why come in here and discuss??

It's attitudes like yours that make hollywood feel that these kinds of moves are ok.
Yea, because they ARE ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I always had problems with Captain America. He was sort of cool, superheroes that are too powerful are almost always boring. And the villains they face have to be powerful too so they are usually boring, too. Batman had the best villains and he was cool because he was a normal guy for the most part. Skilled and extremely intelligent, but normal.
His uniform/costume was just gaudy. I liked that he was a tough guy, as strong as a normal human could be and a combat expert. But he seemed kind of one dimensional. Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, these guys had issues in their dual identities. Captain America was just Captain America in costume or out.
This movie sounds like its going to be a crap fest. Downplaying Cap's patriotism is not being true to the character. Cap would not be a hero for the UN, not unless it served US interests first and foremost. They could have him bringing down forces corrupting our government. He could be both a saint and a scourge to the government and Pentagon, cleaning up whatever messes they make deliberately or by mistake. Sort of a " Punisher"( another cool character with a dark side) aimed at bringing down rogue agents and military operatives, following his own higher code even if it runs counter to what his higher ups want.
He'd fight for honor, freedom and truth and for his country, even if it meant putting himself at odds with it at times. Like I said they could make him edgier but he'll always be a flag waving star spangled patriot. If they don't want that, those chimps in Hollywood shouldn't even bother churning out a film about him.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,052 times
You have to be either a child or of a childish mind to find superhero movies appealing anyway. Good guy, bad guy and some special effects in-between. The whole comics thing is for morons that can't read.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Seriously? This is private industry trying to appeal to the widest audience possible. The simple, and sad, fact is that we Americans don't have the most stellar reputation in many other countries around the world.

I mean, how many of us in America have seen an Akshay Kumar action flick? Not many, I'd wager. Why is that? Is it because of cultural differences that render foreign movies less interesting? Would you go see an action movie about a North Korean superhero or soldier/intelligence operative?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM

499 posts, read 405,346 times
This seems odd. What's the point of making the film if they aren't going to be true to the spirit of the comic?

I'm sure fans of the original won't be impressed.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 AM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Its funny watching all the liberals get all pro-"free market" on this thread about this...."you don't like it, then don't watch it"....or "make your own movie"....or "they are trying to PROFIT in the global market"........doesn't that sound familiar to us right-wingers?

you know?...how often do we say "if you don't like your job, then don't work there" or " if you hate the way a business is ran, then start your own business" or " businesses are trying to make a PROFIT"

but that is for another thread...

Its solely not about the movie...but the growing trend and acceptance of un-patriotism ..no, un-American attitude........no one tells or expects foreigners and immigrants to learn even basic English...but America is expected to twist and bend over ass-backwards for everyone else and if you dare ask just a little in-return...well you're a racist, bigot, intolerant , etc, etc....really its not cool to say...."yeah America has a crap-ton of problems..but dammit, I love this country"...and you know what?..I really do.......but immigrants can bring their culture and freely express it with no problem and you know what?..that is their right...but you damn well better not hang an American flag too high....it might offend someone...like an immigrant..that came here...to America...on their own free will...so if they see your American "spirit" too much...here in America....could cause them to be "unconformable"...here in America...your American Flag.............you get the point.......But I am sure liberals won't

Saying anything remotely positive about America and you can be sure some liberal would be ready to tell you how "Europe" or some other place is so much better...

Face it...its not "smart" to say you love or even like America....for some reason, its much more "intellectual" to bash this place into oblivion....no matter the facts...For example...I saw this youtube video of this guy bashing America to no end...why?...well, one reason is because slavery "took to long to end"...that's right...no matter the countless lives and blood spill it took to, in-part, end slavery.....it just "took too long"....so its clear that its just to popular and "intellectual" to hate America...no matter the reason

Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
This seems odd. What's the point of making the film if they aren't going to be true to the spirit of the comic?

I'm sure fans of the original won't be impressed.
It happens all the time. You think Batman Begins / The Dark Knight have much in common with the original? Batman was one hokey fool back in the day.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with being anti-American. We have simply evolved into a global society now where the arbitrary boundaries of nations are fading quickly just as the arbitrary boundaries of states faded. The market responds by creating art and entertainment that reflect this globalization.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
...Its solely not about the movie...but the growing trend and acceptance of un-patriotism ..no, un-American attitude........no one tells or expects foreigners and immigrants to learn even basic English...but America is expected to twist and bend over ass-backwards for everyone else and if you dare ask just a little in-return...
What duty does a film studio have to be patriotic? This is a Government funded project, it's a privately made film and they have every right to make the changes to the story they feel necessary in order to maximize profit.

I truly do not see the controversy here...

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What duty does a film studio have to be patriotic? This is a Government funded project, it's a privately made film and they have every right to make the changes to the story they feel necessary in order to maximize profit.

I truly do not see the controversy here...

didn't I say "its solely not about the movie"?....didn't I go on to say its about the trend and popularity of bashing America and its becoming more widespread?....hell, did I even put emphasis on the movie anyway?

And when did I even remotely suggest it was anyone or anything duty to be patriotic?

"feel necessary in order to maximize profit"

Good, so I take it you feel the same way when businesses outsource?

or when they do it they are being un-American?

P.S. I'm not picking on you but why is it that when I post on these forums...long winded post at that....that whenever someone response they usually cherry pick it and the stuff they do pick the interpret it all wrong.

"Originally Posted by EricGold
...Its solely not about the movie...but the growing trend and acceptance of un-patriotism ..no, un-American attitude........no one tells or expects foreigners and immigrants to learn even basic English...but America is expected to twist and bend over ass-backwards for everyone else and if you dare ask just a little in-return"

how the hell did you get that I was upset that this privately funded film was not being patriotic enough for me and it was their "duty" to do so?....how?

Last edited by EricGold; 01-30-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Its funny watching all the liberals get all pro-"free market" on this thread about this...."you don't like it, then don't watch it"....or "make your own movie"....or "they are trying to PROFIT in the global market"........doesn't that sound familiar to us right-wingers?

you know?...how often do we say "if you don't like your job, then don't work there" or " if you hate the way a business is ran, then start your own business" or " businesses are trying to make a PROFIT"

but that is for another thread...

Its solely not about the movie...but the growing trend and acceptance of un-patriotism ..no, un-American attitude........no one tells or expects foreigners and immigrants to learn even basic English...but America is expected to twist and bend over ass-backwards for everyone else and if you dare ask just a little in-return...well you're a racist, bigot, intolerant , etc, etc....really its not cool to say...."yeah America has a crap-ton of problems..but dammit, I love this country"...and you know what?..I really do.......but immigrants can bring their culture and freely express it with no problem and you know what?..that is their right...but you damn well better not hang an American flag too high....it might offend someone...like an immigrant..that came here...to America...on their own free will...so if they see your American "spirit" too much...here in America....could cause them to be "unconformable"...here in America...your American Flag.............you get the point.......But I am sure liberals won't

Saying anything remotely positive about America and you can be sure some liberal would be ready to tell you how "Europe" or some other place is so much better...

Face it...its not "smart" to say you love or even like America....for some reason, its much more "intellectual" to bash this place into oblivion....no matter the facts...For example...I saw this youtube video of this guy bashing America to no end...why?...well, one reason is because slavery "took to long to end"...that's right...no matter the countless lives and blood spill it took to, in-part, end slavery.....it just "took too long"....so its clear that its just to popular and "intellectual" to hate America...no matter the reason
Yea well, as a black person, it DID take too damn long to end. In fact, it never should've existed here in the first place. But that's another thread.

The bottom line is this: Don't go to see it if you don't like it. Which is silly because you can't possibly know whether or not you like it before you've seen it.

As for your silly comments about liking America, can you please be more original? I swear, it's getting pretty damn trite. If anything, patriotism, jingoism, and nationalism is more in style than it's EVER been. How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?

Again, this is ENTERTAINMENT! Some of you are gonna have a stroke over these nonsensical, trivial matters. Who gives a damn really? It's only a movie. You watch it and take it with a grain of salt.

LMAO@ grown people getting all butthurt over a Super-Hero depiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies