Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Pat yourself on the back for you're BLACK...therefore your opinion has more weight then those who aren't......never-mind all the whites...(Lincoln?) that died to in-part free the slaves...no, you being black and free...many decedes letter is upset because it "took to long".... some of us have grandparents and great-grandparents that fought and died to free black people, so yeah.."it took to long"....our bad...we should have "fought and died" quicker.....

that we have a Black President that essentially charmed his way into the WH with no accomplishments, achievements, or anything impressive...but no, lets still have hang ups about slavery ....news flash..my ancestors and just about everyone else were "slaves" at one point...blacks don't own the stigma of "slavery".....and I am sure Jews have it rougher...but that is for another thread

"As for your silly comments about liking America, can you please be more original? I swear, it's getting pretty damn trite. If anything, patriotism, jingoism, and nationalism is more in style than it's EVER been. How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?"

What silly comments?...point to it in my post because I made it clear that I was talking about the growing trend of hating America and that its being more and more discouraged to even say anything positive about it..I didn't even say that we should be more patriotic and "like" America more did I?...Can I be more original?....can you read what I posted?...

"How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?"

So we have stories like a little child being forced to remove the American Flag because its making some Mexicans upset and that's OK.....because we don't want to be too "patriotic"?

no one is saying you have to get a tattoo of the flag on your forehead....but simply showing the flag is "too much"...now?..

"LMAO@ grown people getting all butthurt over a Super-Hero depiction."

Please read my post again...did I even say "captain America?"...hell, was I even trying to discuss the movie in detail..?...why do you people, especially on the left try to spin, deflect and just outright make Shyt up when you can't argue directly?.....you're the second person to think I was upset about the film...nowhere in my post suggest that...next time, if you are going to response, try to use quotes and directly respond to those...not what you "think" you read........m'kay
LOL...i'm well aware of history and i know all about slavery and how it ended. But the truth is...YOU didn't die for anything and i don't owe you any gratitude for its ending. In fact, i don't owe your damn great-grandparents a debt of gratitude either....even if they did fight during the civil war. The constitution declared me a free and equal man. If this country didn't deliver on that promise until 1865, don't expect me to kiss anybodys behind because they eventually came around to doing so. And i don't care about the Jews "having it rougher." Please. Get outta here with that nonsense.

Bottom line, there is no trend towards "hating America." That's conservative talk radio tripe. This country is no less patriotic than it's ever been. You guys call "hating America" anything that you don't agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...i'm well aware of history and i know all about slavery and how it ended. But the truth is...YOU didn't die for anything and i don't owe you any gratitude for its ending. In fact, i don't owe your damn great-grandparents a debt of gratitude either....even if they did fight during the civil war. The constitution declared me a free and equal man. If this country didn't deliver on that promise until 1865, don't expect me to kiss anybodys behind because they eventually came around to doing so. And i don't care about the Jews "having it rougher." Please. Get outta here with that nonsense.

Bottom line, there is no trend towards "hating America." That's conservative talk radio tripe. This country is no less patriotic than it's ever been. You guys call "hating America" anything that you don't agree with.

So why did you say and I quote " Yea well, as a black person, it DID take too damn long to end. In fact, it never should've existed here in the first place"......

....as if you yourself was a slave?and who said You owe me or my "damn" grandparents anything?....blazing hypocrisy....I was just making the point that freeing the slaves spilled alot of blood...white blood, right along with their fellow black blood...so still having issues with slavery as if black people were the only ones to suffer is asinine...but no, in your brilliant cognitive abilities saw that as saying that I said you "owe me or my grandparents" something.....how?....trying to figure the way the left "thinks" have puzzled me for years...

"i don't owe you any gratitude for its ending. In fact, i don't owe your damn great-grandparents a debt of gratitude "

who were the ones going around asking for "reparations"?.....who advocates "affirmative actions" ?....so you are not and will never be a slave.....so why are you upset that it delivered on their promise in "1865"?...as if you were alive then?..I never said you owe me or anyone else anything...but who is going around acting like they are "owed" something?.....see?..you see your own hypocrisy?..can't you see you are responding to things I didn't even say?...o.try harder kid...

I just mentioned the Jews because blacks always act like their the only "victims" out there....and always play the "slavery card".....you don't care about the "Jews" having it rougher?....ok when some politician come at me with some "rhetoric" about the "black community"....why should I care...its "nonsense"

"Bottom line, there is no trend towards "hating America." That's conservative talk radio tripe. This country is no less patriotic than it's ever been. You guys call "hating America" anything that you don't agree with."

Start a thread, anywhere and just say you love America...for all her flaws, but you still love her ...and watch the liberals come out of the woods to tell you how stupid you are for saying that....and somehow we're the ones who have a problem with those who don't agree with us...

Look, dude, calm yourself...your fabricated self-righteous anger that you "think" you have is flawed, misguided, and hypocritical.....you say you shouldn't be grateful to anyone because hey, no one alive today freed the slaves and then go on to be mad about slavery as if you were alive during its time..........by the way, not every family owned slaves..why?..well you had to be wealthy to do so.....so why should I give a damn about your ancestors when my family never owned any?....but I bet you feel as if I should feel some "guilt" and be "sensitive" to you about it...nope...get over it...you can't...well too damn bad.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Captain America has gone through many incarnations over the decades. He's still the most jingoistic character in the books, even if it is toned down. It's not about patriotism, it's that he is a very idealistic person.
Which is like saying Jesus was only a good person with some really neat ideas.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Actually, he is all about patriotism. Hence, Captain AMERICA!
WRONG!

Again, to uninformed Right Wingers who know nothing about the character, they will see his uniform and assume he is about patriotism. Yes, Captain America was originally created with that purpose in mind. He was the ultimate "super soldier" who America created during WW II to inspire soldiers and to serve as the ultimate weapon against the Nazis. The character Steve Rogers was a sickly and slight character who wanted to serve in the military but failed a physical and was unable to serve. They observed his spirit and willingness to fight and offered him an opportunity to volunteer for an experiment.

However, he awoke from suspended animation two decades later to lead the Avengers and his role had little to anything to do with America. In fact, Captain America defied the American government when the government forced all superheros to register with the U.S. government and reveal their identities. He is an idealist not a pro-American gun wielding right wing redneck. At another point in his career, the Captain America title was stripped from him and he served as the "Captain" and wore a black and red uniform that nothing to do with America.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Its funny watching all the liberals get all pro-"free market" on this thread about this...."you don't like it, then don't watch it"....or "make your own movie"....or "they are trying to PROFIT in the global market"........doesn't that sound familiar to us right-wingers?
You're missing the point.

There seems to be a right-wing idea that Hollywood is deliberately suppressing the patriotic/nationalist point of view. It just ain't so. Hollywood worships at the altar of the dollar, and if a rah-rah jingoist Captain-America-F*ck-Yeah movie had better financial prospects, you can bet your last dollar it would be made. The problem is: Whenever movies take a decidedly rightwards political slant, the market response tends to be - well, tepid.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Which is like saying Jesus was only a good person with some really neat ideas.
Didn't Jefferson write a book on that theme?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
This is not a petty matter. This is a symptom of a bigger issue in this country. The very word "America" has become another in a long line of PC terms and phrases that might "OFFEND" somebody!! And I for one am tired of it!

And now we have this movie toning down the character's back story.
What are you talking about? His background is not going to be toned down. It's just that extreme right wing members, who know nothing about the character and assume he is symbolism of their values will be shocked to learn that the character has never been a symbol for a particular ideology. He simply stands for the best values of America that all parties in this country support. In short, Captain America has never been a Tea Party member or a Right Winger...sorry to burst your bubble and awaken you to reality.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
Have any of you griping about this even read any Captain America stories? Honestly?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
So far, worst thread of 2011.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
These are good questions. I'll try my best:

Quote:
"If this country is that bad, leave!!! Why are thousands trying to sneak in here, by hook or by crook, if we are so terrible"

Most people love living here and it's mostly people from undeveloped countries trying to move here. You don't see a big influx of Canadians or Europeans from countries with a high quality of life sneaking over.

Quote:
"Why is being a patriot equated to be jingoistic"

I think when people take patriotism to the level of "my country is better than your country", it becomes dangerous. In a global society, there just isn't that great a need to identify with one's country as there once was. I find older people are far more traditionally patriotic than younger, but younger people are still very proud of their country and what it symbolizes. They just don't wave flags around, but you can be sure many were beaming with pride when Obama got elected because he demonstrated to the world that a middle class kid with a mutt background and an immigrant father can rise to the top. I think we all shocked the world with that one.

Quote:
"Our kids are taught that America (the country that has given them everything) is evil.

There are definitely some teachers who go way overboard (such as demonizing the founding fathers), but in general I don't think kids are taught that our country is evil. I think kids are taught that it is flawed and has made some big mistakes (Native American genocide, slavery, oppression of segments of the population) but is still a good, decent place and the torch bearer of the ideals of liberty. The result is someone like Obama who is comfortable pointing out both our greatness and our failings, as well as those of other countries (and taking a lot of grief for doing so). That's much better than blind patriotism, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies