Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
didn't I say "its solely not about the movie"?....didn't I go on to say its about the trend and popularity of bashing America and its becoming more widespread?....hell, did I even put emphasis on the movie anyway?

And when did I even remotely suggest it was anyone or anything duty to be patriotic?

"feel necessary in order to maximize profit"

Good, so I take it you feel the same way when businesses outsource?

or when they do it they are being un-American?

P.S. I'm not picking on you but why is it that when I post on these forums...long winded post at that....that whenever someone response they usually cherry pick it and the stuff they do pick the interpret it all wrong.

"Originally Posted by EricGold
...Its solely not about the movie...but the growing trend and acceptance of un-patriotism ..no, un-American attitude........no one tells or expects foreigners and immigrants to learn even basic English...but America is expected to twist and bend over ass-backwards for everyone else and if you dare ask just a little in-return"

how the hell did you get that I was upset that this privately funded film was not being patriotic enough for me and it was their "duty" to do so?....how?
To state it isn't *solely* about the movie implies that it IS partially, at least, about the movie. This thread is completely about the movie, so I tried to keep my comments focused on the movie, to avoid getting too far afield.

I'll indulge your OT question about outsourcing, however. I'm OK with outsourcing by private companies. I don't particularly like it, and wish it wasn't happening, but I see no right to attempt to stop private enterprises from doing it.

If there is no perceived duty or obligation by the movie house to maintain the "patriotic" theme of the comic, what the hell is this thread about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Its a movie...nothing of any real importance...get over it.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea well, as a black person, it DID take too damn long to end. In fact, it never should've existed here in the first place. But that's another thread.

The bottom line is this: Don't go to see it if you don't like it. Which is silly because you can't possibly know whether or not you like it before you've seen it.

As for your silly comments about liking America, can you please be more original? I swear, it's getting pretty damn trite. If anything, patriotism, jingoism, and nationalism is more in style than it's EVER been. How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?

Again, this is ENTERTAINMENT! Some of you are gonna have a stroke over these nonsensical, trivial matters. Who gives a damn really? It's only a movie. You watch it and take it with a grain of salt.

LMAO@ grown people getting all butthurt over a Super-Hero depiction.

Pat yourself on the back for you're BLACK...therefore your opinion has more weight then those who aren't......never-mind all the whites...(Lincoln?) that died to in-part to free the slaves...no, you being black and free...many decedes letter is upset because it "took to long".... some of us have grandparents and great-grandparents that fought and died to free black people, so yeah.."it took to long"....our bad...we should have "fought and died" quicker.....

that we have a Black President that essentially charmed his way into the WH with no accomplishments, achievements, or anything impressive...but no, lets still have hang ups about slavery ....news flash..my ancestors and just about everyone else were "slaves" at one point...blacks don't own the stigma of "slavery".....and I am sure Jews have it rougher...but that is for another thread

"As for your silly comments about liking America, can you please be more original? I swear, it's getting pretty damn trite. If anything, patriotism, jingoism, and nationalism is more in style than it's EVER been. How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?"

What silly comments?...point to it in my post because I made it clear that I was talking about the growing trend of hating America and that its being more and more discouraged to even say anything positive about it..I didn't even say that we should be more patriotic and "like" America more, did I?...Can I be more original?....can you read what I posted?...

"How much flag-waving are we all supposed to do? Should i sing the national anthem once per hour? I mean, what do you guys want?"

So we have stories like a little child being forced to remove the American Flag because its making some Mexicans upset and that's OK.....because we don't want to be too "patriotic"?

no one is saying you have to get a tattoo of the flag on your forehead....but simply showing the flag is "too much"...now?..

"LMAO@ grown people getting all butthurt over a Super-Hero depiction."

Please read my post again...did I even say "captain America?"...hell, was I even trying to discuss the movie in detail..?...why do you people, especially on the left try to spin, deflect and just outright make Shyt up when you can't argue directly?.....you're the second person to think I was upset about the film...nowhere in my post suggest that...next time, if you are going to response, try to use quotes and directly respond to those...not what you "think" you read........m'kay

Last edited by EricGold; 01-30-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
To state it isn't *solely* about the movie implies that it IS partially, at least, about the movie. This thread is completely about the movie, so I tried to keep my comments focused on the movie, to avoid getting too far afield.

I'll indulge your OT question about outsourcing, however. I'm OK with outsourcing by private companies. I don't particularly like it, and wish it wasn't happening, but I see no right to attempt to stop private enterprises from doing it.

If there is no perceived duty or obligation by the movie house to maintain the "patriotic" theme of the comic, what the hell is this thread about?

Read the OP more carefully again.....he is stating that the growing trend in Hollywood and elsewhere that its not cool to be "patriotic" anymore..."Captain America" was just the latest example

Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Sorry, when you site a specific example AND title the thread as such, that's what is going to be discussed - the movie and the changes supposedly being made to it.

Also, the OP is overwhelmingly about the movie itself, and the deviation from the comic, with only a sentence or two about patriotism in general.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Read the OP more carefully again.....he is stating that the growing trend in Hollywood and elsewhere that its not cool to be "patriotic" anymore..."Captain America" was just the latest example

I appreciate your point, and agree, but Hollywood has been down on 'Patriotic Americana' for many years. In the Korean War, they were lukewarm. In the Vietnam War, almost every movie depicted the Ole USA in a negative frame. Heck, Jane (Hanoi Jane) Fonda went over there and did propaganda for the North Viet Nam Communists.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sorry, when you site a specific example AND title the thread as such, that's what is going to be discussed - the movie and the changes supposedly being made to it.

Also, the OP is overwhelmingly about the movie itself, and the deviation from the comic, with only a sentence or two about patriotism in general.

From the OP:

"If this country is that bad, leave!!! Why are thousands trying to sneak in here, by hook or by crook, if we are so terrible"

"Why is being a patriot equated to be jingoistic"

"Our kids are taught that America (the country that has given them everything) is evil. "

Yeah, just a couple of sentences of nothing significant..

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
...Yeah, just a couple of sentences of nothing significant..

Glad we agree!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And what is wrong with patriotism?? What is wrong with loving your country??
Nothing unless it's a communist country like America. Isn't that right? Commie Obama and all that?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Nothing unless it's a communist country like America. Isn't that right? Commie Obama and all that?

for some reason I found this to be funny and I don't know why......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies