Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,299,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What about the ones that come through customs or across the border unannounced? What if they were lost in a "tragic boating accident"? Must I report that too? Get real.
Lost, stolen, sold, destroyed - reportable. Like your car - wrecked? Sold? Stolen? You'd report that, wouldn't you?

Maybe gun owners should have to buy liability insurance, then they'd WANT to report missing/sold/stolen guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,535,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Right, that's through a licensed firearms dealer. It's the private sellers at gun shows who are the potential problem.

I would really like to think that you're correct, but I'm afraid I don't have quite that much faith in my fellow man. And the people who fit your admirable definition of "responsible firearms owners" I fear are fewer than you think.

I deal with firearms owners all day, every day....I know for a fact that these people exist. You are confusing responsible firearms owners with those who are less than that. There is a difference and the good guys do exist.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The courts do say that you have to pass a background check. If that check takes time, you do not have the gun in hand, right? It's a right that is contingent on your qualification, or the lack of disqualification to exercise it.
For face to face transactions in free states, that is not the case. You must simply display your state driver's license to the seller. The seller is not obligated to perform any sort of background check. In NC, this is true for long guns but not pistols.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Tell that to someone who gets wrongly denied or delayed. There's threads about it on gun forums all the time. It's a widespread problem.

And then there's the people who should be denied and aren't...

It is those who gather the info.....
we have people who have really common names get delays some times.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
For face to face transactions in free states, that is not the case. You must simply display your state driver's license to the seller. The seller is not obligated to perform any sort of background check. In NC, this is true for long guns but not pistols.

I think that some posters are confusing background checks with permits....

For example in the State of NC, you do not have to have a permit to purchase a long gun. You do however have to complete a 4473 and it is up to the dealer to call in a NICS check. For a handgun, you must have a permit or CCWP, complete the 4473 and the dealer may or may not call for a NICS check.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
Such laws only impact the law abiding. The criminals would continue to buy and sell when and where and how they wish, and you'd never know about it. I could go out right now and sell a gun to someone if I wanted to, and who would know I did it? You can't have police watching our every move, so such a law would be worthless.
Yes and you could do that. Which is why we need federal registration of all guns, and if a gun you purchased legally and then sold off you would be held responsible if any crime was committed with that gun.

Most of the illegal guns are from legal gun purchases then sold on the black market.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yes and you could do that. Which is why we need federal registration of all guns, and if a gun you purchased legally and then sold off you would be held responsible if any crime was committed with that gun.

Most of the illegal guns are from legal gun purchases then sold on the black market.
LMAO

And how would you know if I never registered my guns? With all the millions of guns out there now, not all would be registered.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
LMAO

And how would you know if I never registered my guns? With all the millions of guns out there now, not all would be registered.
Perhaps it can be grandfathered in, all guns sols after a certain date must be registered, all guns sold prior to the date won't have to be. The registration would be automatic as part of the background check.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 PM

59,324 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
No -they sold guns to people who said they couldn't pass a background check but could, seeing as how they're cops and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Pay attention.

From the NYT article:

Aides to the mayor said that private detectives who were former law enforcement officers carried out the video investigations, not current police officers.

You can not obtain or hold a license as a private detective if you can not pass a background check.

Capisci?
It is you who needs to pay attention. My post was in reference to your post , "they sold guns to people who said they couldn't pass a background check ".

The article states, "The investigators participating in the mayor’s videotaped episode bought three guns, two of them after telling the Arizona sellers that they probably could not pass a federal background check.

Note the difference between the two. They couldn't and they probably couldn't.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Perhaps it can be grandfathered in, all guns sols after a certain date must be registered, all guns sold prior to the date won't have to be. The registration would be automatic as part of the background check.
That'll accomplish absolutely nothing. Pretty obvious gun grabbers are just looking for ways to cause problems for gunowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies