Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I actually think MTV's "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" had something to do with. I read an article where it said 80% of teens had seen the show at least once, and while it makes being a teen mom look glamorous sometimes, there are plenty of times when the girls on it have doors closed to them that would be open were they not teen moms.

I know it sounds crazy, but I really do think that if 80% of teens have seen the show, it could have something to do with the falling teen birth rate.
OK, "16 and Pregnant" first aired in mid-2009. So assuming your theory is correct, the effect would only cover the second half of 2009. Furthermore, that leaves 18 other years where there was no such TV show where teen birth rates still fell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Teen births in the US have fallen continuously from a high of 115 per 1,000 in 1990 to 39 today. A 66% reduction seems like a move in the positive direction to me..

(By the way your "perspective" numbers are from 1998...)
Wrong link, they had 2005 data.
Reduction is a move in the right direction...

However, we're still significantly higher than any other industrialized country.

A move in the right direction, unlike the OP, doesn't mean that it's not a significant problem.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Because of the recession?

Since when did the inability to sufficiently raise a child stop anyone in this country from getting pregnant?

I'd sooner blame MTV than the economy. Ridiculous.
Birth rates dropped significantly during the Great Depression. I don't think teens are completely unaware of the economic situation. Now granted, I've raised kids, and I know some of them are pretty scattered, but they're usually vaguely aware of the world outside. Plus, as has been documented in this thread, teen pregnancies have been declining for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think abortions went up. Just my opinion.
You can google the numbers, but I believe I've read that both the teen birth rate and the teen abortion rate have gone down, meaning fewer teen pregnancies altogether.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
We can argue over it all day. Let's just be glad it's finally happening. That is, until some more religious wingnuts get upset about it, and start eliminating sex education again.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
To the those of you mentioning a possibility of increased abortion rate, I'm not so sure about that since the younger generation is increasingly more pro-life than the older generation (according to polls I've seen). The CDC does report that teens are having less sex, 54% of high school students report having had sex in 1990, now it's about 45%. I do remember reading a couple months ago that contraceptive use is increasing among teens and in fact, teens are more likely than adults to use protection now. And a small but growing number of teens are abstaining until marriage. Note the purity movement.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
The Hummer.... a beautiful thing.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I found this:

Teen Pregnancy Drops: CDC Study: Teen birth rate lowest in 70 years - fox59.com

FWIW the CDC blamed it on the recession.
I'm scratching my head over this one.
no that makes no sense because most teen moms hop on welfare.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
no that makes no sense because most teen moms hop on welfare.
You're right. What teenager thinks of the recession and sex together and forgoes sex because of a recession ?

Then again, dead birds fell from the sky because of fireworks.
Unemployment rose because of the snow.
Unemployment fell because more people had jobs.

Go figure..the stories coming out of government agencies these days make you wonder who is running the show and how gullible they think Americans are.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The teenage birth rate finally falls to the lowest on record. Can we now stop with the mass panic over it? Are people still going to be saying that the abstinence only education is leading to an increase?

Teen Birth Rate in U.S. Dropped to Lowest Ever in 2009, CDC Report Says - Bloomberg

(http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/green-bay-packers-home-state-wisc - broken link)
It's a good bet the focus on abstinence only under Bush did lead to an increase in births under his term as your article points out.

Teenage births had fallen for 14 years until increasing 5 percent from 2005 to 2007, the agency has reported. Since 1991, the birth rate among girls ages 15 to 19 has dropped 37 percent.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,065 times
I say recessions can lead to more births. You know, couples stuck at their home with no money trying to pass the time...?

On a national level, it may seem to drop..but for some locals, it can be devastating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies