Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,177,107 times

Advertisements

What needs to really happen is real enforcement of the speed limits. If you are doing greater than 10% of the posted speed limit, and you don't have an medical emergency, or are an emergency vehicle responding to an immediate situation, you need to get ticket.

Additionally, with no emergencies, every hour or so, 2 police vehicles (or however many is required to be in each lane of the highwway), driven by people hired just for the purpose of maintaining posted speed limits, need to be lined up side by side and drive precisely at the speed limit.

Let's be serious, if the speed limit is 55, and you insist on doing 65, how much sooner do you arrive at your location? A friend of mine did a test during the course of several weeks, I drove the speed limit, he did 10mph over, (sometimes more), and for 27 mile commute, the MOST time he got to the destination before me was about 4 minutes. There were actually several times I got there first.

If you leave for wherever it is you are trying to get to so late that you have to speed to get to where you are going, to get there on time, then you really need to think things through and leave a bit earlier. Intentionally breaking traffic laws because you think you have to drive faster than the posted speed limits, really is stupid. You don't end up getting to where you are going that mush faster.

If you have your kids in the car, think of the example you are setting for them! That it's perfectly legitimate to intentionally break the law, because A), you want to, or B), Because everyone else is doing it. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,434,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What needs to really happen is real enforcement of the speed limits. If you are doing greater than 10% of the posted speed limit, and you don't have an medical emergency, or are an emergency vehicle responding to an immediate situation, you need to get ticket.

Additionally, with no emergencies, every hour or so, 2 police vehicles (or however many is required to be in each lane of the highwway), driven by people hired just for the purpose of maintaining posted speed limits, need to be lined up side by side and drive precisely at the speed limit.

Let's be serious, if the speed limit is 55, and you insist on doing 65, how much sooner do you arrive at your location? A friend of mine did a test during the course of several weeks, I drove the speed limit, he did 10mph over, (sometimes more), and for 27 mile commute, the MOST time he got to the destination before me was about 4 minutes. There were actually several times I got there first.

If you leave for wherever it is you are trying to get to so late that you have to speed to get to where you are going, to get there on time, then you really need to think things through and leave a bit earlier. Intentionally breaking traffic laws because you think you have to drive faster than the posted speed limits, really is stupid. You don't end up getting to where you are going that mush faster.

If you have your kids in the car, think of the example you are setting for them! That it's perfectly legitimate to intentionally break the law, because A), you want to, or B), Because everyone else is doing it. Good job!
What needs to happen is the real enforcement of other traffic violations. Like riding in the passing lane, which you yourself have admitted guilt doing. Changing lanes without signalling, passing on the right, things of that nature.

Speeding is only causing accidents because its coupled with other people, like you, who are breaking other laws that should also be enforced.

Automobiles are designed to run 90, safely. Todays tires are also much better designed. The Germans and Europeans have been doing it for decades now.

And If I ran the speed limit when I drive from Florida to Tennessee, it would take me upwards of 10 hours to drive. When I run 80 or 85 most of the trip, I can cut that down to 8 hours.

I don't know about you, but when you're stuck in a car for 8 hours, two more hours is to much.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,596,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You might want to re-read the current statutes. There's no such thing as a "left lane" on an interstate. That is the "passing lane."

You are to stay to the right at all times, except when passing.

There's nothing worse than a 'tard in the left lane doing the speed limit (or less) except for a "Blind-spotter." Those are people who try to drive the next 30 miles in your blind spot. When I used to drive, I would give people 7 seconds to clear my blind spot and then I would start drifting into their lane and watch them go spastic. You'd be surprised at how many 'tards can't take a hint.
What eloquent words you use!

While I drive the speed limit and a little above, I don't believe in trying to bully people (or should I use your eloquent word, tards) on the road.

I sure hope you have a big vehicle when you use your bully tactics. My landrover would take a pretty big beating before being pushed off the road.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM

Default pardon me?? Comprehension anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What needs to happen is the real enforcement of other traffic violations. Like riding in the passing lane, which you yourself have admitted guilt doing. Changing lanes without signalling, passing on the right, things of that nature.

Speeding is only causing accidents because its coupled with other people, like you, who are breaking other laws that should also be enforced.

Automobiles are designed to run 90, safely. Todays tires are also much better designed. The Germans and Europeans have been doing it for decades now.

And If I ran the speed limit when I drive from Florida to Tennessee, it would take me upwards of 10 hours to drive. When I run 80 or 85 most of the trip, I can cut that down to 8 hours.

I don't know about you, but when you're stuck in a car for 8 hours, two more hours is to much.
1. Never said I did it illegally, when I am in the left lane, it's legitimate. What I DID say, was it wasn't illegal for me in my state, to drive in the left lane, and if I am doing the speed limit, and passing traffic driving slower than I, and they are in the right hand lane, and I am in the left, then I am still in the right. WHERE did I say I drove there illegally? Comprehend much?

2. Speeding is breaking the law, and if someone is NOT speeding, and your speeding causes the accident, you are indeed culpable.

3. So, because someone else does it, or CAN do it, you have theorized it is ok for you to break the law?

4. If the speed limit allows for 80 to 85, then drive the speed. If not, I hope you get a tkt every time you exceed the speed limit, till your license is revoked.

The need to make speeding tkt's incrementally more expensive also, the first, minimal fine, within 6 months, the next 5x the fine, within 6 months, the next 10x the fine, etc etc... It's one thing to get pulled for speeding if you have made a legitimate mistake, and people who have made the mistake tend to be more careful with their speeds, the rest.. let em pay till they are broke, or don't have a license. Makes it safer for the rest of us.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,154,252 times
For anyone suggesting driving in the left lane is fine if you're going the speed limit you're wrong, it's an unsafe driving habit, period. That has to be the single biggest reason for accidents on the Interstate. You impede the flow of traffic and that causes accidents.

The autobahn has no speed limits on many sections and is safer than US Interstates, there is heavy enforcement to prevent many unsafe driving habits like travelling in the left lane or passing on the right. Of course passing on the right is not needed because no one is clogging up the left lane.

Here in the states fatality rates doubled in the year they put speed limits on roads in Montana:
Quote:
Montana - No Speed Limit Safety Paradox - 2001 UPDATE
This is an obvious call to action. Something must be done. We need more laws, more money for enforcement and more citations written - Speed Kills!

Not so fast says a follow up study just completed by National Motorists Association. The study shows the safest period on Montana’s Interstate highways was when there were no daytime speed limits or enforceable speed laws.

The doubling of fatal accidents occurred after Montana implemented its new safety program; complete with federal funding, artificially low speed limits and full enforcement.
Why is that? Like the driver in the left lane arbitrary speed limits impede the flow of traffic. The safest speed especially during congested times is whatever traffic is flowing at.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Default wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For anyone suggesting driving in the left lane is fine if you're going the speed limit you're wrong, it's unsafe driving habit, period. That has to be the single biggest reason for accidents on the Interstate. You impede the flow of traffic and that causes accidents.

The autobahn has no speed limits on many sections and is safer than US Interstates, there is heavy enforcement to prevent many unsafe driving habits like travelling in the left lane or passing on the right. Of course passing on the right is not needed because no one is clogging up the left lane.

Here in the states fatality rates doubled in the year they put speed limits on roads in Montana:

Why is that? Like the driver in the left lane arbitrary speed limits impede the flow of traffic. The safest speed especially during congested times is whatever traffic is flowing at.
If you are driving in the left lane, and driving the speed limit while moving FASTER than the traffic in the right lane, then you are in fact following the law, in 2 aspects.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,325,068 times
Default Drive Right, Pass Left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane. That's your interpretation, apparently not the local area's official interpretation.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)
Are you driving slower than the traffic in the right lane?
Then you should be ticketed. You are hindering traffic and causing congestion.
Many states have laws about drive right, pass left only.

I currently live in Germany.
The left lane is the passing lane, period.
It's good practice and it promotes safety.

In Germany they DO ticket you for driving (not passing) in the left lane.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-10-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
When is the last time you drove 1900 miles each way?

Arizona doesn't have that great a scenery that lends itself to anything other than drive as fast as you can to get out of the state.
1900 miles? That's a lot of ugly to have to drive.

Our state is 20 times more beautiful than that oversized dump of a state filled with fake a*s cowboys. When you get a Grand Canyon and mountains as far as the eye can see....let me know.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Hey, maybe this could be a new campaign for Sheriff Joe. Throw some of the lane hoggers in tent city for the weekend
Gawd...i wish.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,867,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

That's all great, just stay out of the passing lane if you're not passing anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies