Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes that's true, but it's getting pretty tiresome that we cater to everyone and everything here in this country. If you want to make a change, move to a state that caters more to your interests then, and demand from that state, not the federal government, which should have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING outside of national defense, coining money, securing our liberties, and dealing with foreign affairs. You know, what the federal government is authorized to do as per the US Constitution.

I didn't say all 20 some yea rolds are immature. I was specifically pointing to Das for wanting to stir up trouble
I agree with that. For many people it is easier to complain about your surroundings, rather than actually doing something about it. The people that actually want to move and explore the world, deserve their credit, but they do have to be reasonable at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM

221 posts, read 656,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
http://www.internationalfreepresssociety.org/2011/01/danish-government-is-prosecuting-individuals-for-hate-speech/ (broken link)

Enjoy your stay in the Danish hoosegow. You will have lots of time to ponder those freedoms you gave up.
Atleast we had the balls to publish pictures of Muhammed. Unlike the sissies at South Park.

Saying we don't have freedom of speech in denmark is the dumbest thing ive heard. really.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Aren't we supposed to be #1? We are the first nation in the world founded on democracy after all. Not the first democracy ever of course, because the Greeks came up with it first. But we're the first nation founded on democracy. You'd think with that kind of background that we could do it better than anyone else, but nooooo - low voter turnouts, voter fraud, corruption - it looks like we've tripped and fallen pretty hard.
You arnt number 1 in democracy and you will never be. You have to deal with that stupid two-party system.

Also the plurality voting system is really undemocratic. Why vote democratic in the state of Albama when you know your state is going to vote Republican.

So many votes wasted.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
How does the fact that you have to pay for your education make you less free in a society?
You could be smart but not have the money.

Waste of intellect and less free.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
It should be noted what Americans like and dislike.
Americans like government surveillance and hearing that the US military is bombing the crap out of some nation. That makes Americans feel good. What could be a bigger thrill than seeing charred bodies!
To criticize is considered as unpatriotic.
Americans believe in greed and selfishness, because their (christian) religion approves of and promotes greed and selfishness.
Americans believe that taxes to develop more lethal weapons are well spent, but are a waste if used to improve the nation's healthcare.
Americans love violence. American TV and movies are full of violence. What could be more entertaining than watching someone getting kicked in the face?
Americans love materialism! Stuff, money, ownership!
Don't forget American emotions; always on edge, neurotic, chip on the shoulder, full of anxiety, paranoia, teeth gnashing, mistrusting, suspicious of people that are different, strung-out, raw nerves, low self-esteem, a variety of complexes, feeling victimized, a powder keg waiting to explode, anger, anger, and more anger...

Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It should be noted what Americans like and dislike.
Americans like government surveillance and hearing that the US military is bombing the crap out of some nation. That makes Americans feel good. What could be a bigger thrill than seeing charred bodies!
To criticize is considered as unpatriotic.
Americans believe in greed and selfishness, because their (christian) religion approves of and promotes greed and selfishness.
Americans believe that taxes to develop more lethal weapons are well spent, but are a waste if used to improve the nation's healthcare.
Americans love violence. American TV and movies are full of violence. What could be more entertaining than watching someone getting kicked in the face?
Americans love materialism! Stuff, money, ownership!
Don't forget American emotions; always on edge, neurotic, chip on the shoulder, full of anxiety, paranoia, teeth gnashing, mistrusting, suspicious of people that are different, strung-out, raw nerves, low self-esteem, a variety of complexes, feeling victimized, a powder keg waiting to explode, anger, anger, and more anger...
This is the most over-the-top poor gross over-generalization ever made here on C-D quite likely. That or the top 10

Old 02-20-2011, 01:26 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,072 times
Lets face it, the European countries do increasingly have more economic and political freedom and mobility for the average citizen (and just the monied elite).

I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised to see a mass exodus of people emigrating from the US to countries, as has long been the case in Europe historically...

I mean, the US isn't really any "special" or different from any other place on Earth...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,239 times
No, the U.S. isn't a free country, nor is any other on the planet. There are only varying degrees of freedom, and quantifying and comparing one versus the other can be tricky for countless reasons, including the obvious fact that people seem to have radically different ideas what freedom even means to begin with, aside from the fact that devising a metric which compares qualitative versus quantitative legal restrictions opens one algorithm and methodology open to criticism.

Some of the countries which the original poster chose, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand don't strike me as very free countries by any means (don't know much about Austria - so no comment there), and good luck to him if he feels that is the path to pursue in life. From my perspective of what freedom is, those countries definitely are not on my list of places when I think freedom. Germany has obnoxious free speech laws, and Australia and New Zealand have really egregious firearm laws, for starters.

I've been looking for that mythical "free country" for the better part of ten years now, scouring the globe for possibilities, and have pretty much concluded no so such place exists. One can scarcely even resort to forming their own peaceful micronation without expecting to be harassed by other countries who will treat you like dirt, and almost certainly won't recognize your autonomy.

The best one can hope for is de facto freedom, rather than de jure freedom. And at least in the case of the U.S., you don't really have leave the country to get that de facto freedom, you just have to move to someplace where government doesn't have its grubby mitts sunk in so deeply, micromanaging everything you do. Specifically, I think that tends to be achievable in extremely remote places where they [government] has little presence, doesn't even really know you are there, and will leave you to your own devices for the most part, just so long as your presence is not conspicuous and don't do anything extremely deleterious to attract attention to yourself.

The original posters conception of freedom may be different than mine, as it seems to be motivated more by social justice concerns, so I don't think my remedy would necessarily suits his cause. But still, I think he could perhaps port some of his own ideas to such a remote place inside the U.S., perhaps get together with others of like-mind, find that remote place, and perhaps form what is known as an intentional community (which I think is a good arrangement which can suit people of all different philosophies), and run things the way you want to run things.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
No, the U.S. isn't a free country, nor is any other on the planet. There are only varying degrees of freedom, and quantifying and comparing one versus the other can be tricky for countless reasons, including the obvious fact that people seem to have radically different ideas what freedom even means to begin with, aside from the fact that devising a metric which compares qualitative versus quantitative legal restrictions opens one algorithm and methodology open to criticism.

Some of the countries which the original poster chose, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand don't strike me as very free countries by any means (don't know much about Austria - so no comment there), and good luck to him if he feels that is the path to pursue in life. From my perspective of what freedom is, those countries definitely are not on my list of places when I think freedom. Germany has obnoxious free speech laws, and Australia and New Zealand have really egregious firearm laws, for starters.

I've been looking for that mythical "free country" for the better part of ten years now, scouring the globe for possibilities, and have pretty much concluded no so such place exists. One can scarcely even resort to forming their own peaceful micronation without expecting to be harassed by other countries who will treat you like dirt, and almost certainly won't recognize your autonomy.

The best one can hope for is de facto freedom, rather than de jure freedom. And at least in the case of the U.S., you don't really have leave the country to get that de facto freedom, you just have to move to someplace where government doesn't have its grubby mitts sunk in so deeply, micromanaging everything you do. Specifically, I think that tends to be achievable in extremely remote places where they [government] has little presence, doesn't even really know you are there, and will leave you to your own devices for the most part, just so long as your presence is not conspicuous and don't do anything extremely deleterious to attract attention to yourself.

The original posters conception of freedom may be different than mine, as it seems to be motivated more by social justice concerns, so I don't think my remedy would necessarily suits his cause. But still, I think he could perhaps port some of his own ideas to such a remote place inside the U.S., perhaps get together with others of like-mind, find that remote place, and perhaps form what is known as an intentional community (which I think is a good arrangement which can suit people of all different philosophies), and run things the way you want to run things.
Seriously, I agree. I think the O is erroneously mixing up social justice and freedom, and both are inverses of each other. The more social justice you have, the less freedom you have, and vice versa. Look at the states here. Every state and local entity that accepts federal money has to abide by federal law and regulations, and those are usually more restrictive than the state laws themselves. Like for example, Multnomah County, OR's library doesn't accept federal funds, so they have more freedom in censoring, or not censoring, the internet service in their library how they see fit. They don't have to comply with any federal laws about restricting children's internet access, they leave the parents to make that decision.

But I forgive the OP and others like him. When you don't know much about politics, you naturally think social justice = freedom when there's always strings attached. You never give money away for free (unless it's for charity), if you didn't have a string of conditions to meet. The OP could move to New Hampshire, which is one of the freer states in the U.S., hell more free than Europe. You don't even have to wear seatbelts in your car, or ride with a motorcycle helmet.

And I think you'd agree with me that more government = less freedom. A government powerful enough to provide you with anything is also a government powerful enough to take away everything. I'm not an anarchist, and I don't believe in anarchy (I think it's foolish in my opinion but to each his own), but I do know that big government means less freedom

Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Here's a good way to test how free this country is, insofar as speaking your mind.

You can talk all you want on the internet, but trying saying some of the things people say on here to a cop, politician at a gathering, or a TSA agent.

You'll find out how free you are then lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies