Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of public school prayers?
Yes 17 18.68%
No 67 73.63%
Maybe, Depends 7 7.69%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,872,318 times

Advertisements

There will always be prayer in school, as long as there are tests or hot teachers there will always be prayer in school. I do not support a forced "prayer time" in public school but I have no problem with a moment of silence or whatever after the morning pledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 4,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
65% of Americans Favor Prayer in Public Schools - Rasmussen Reports™

How do you feel about public school prayers? As most of you know, school prayers were declared unconstitutional back in 1962 and there have been attempts to bring it back. I honestly would support bringing it back.

Let me guess, you want public schools prayers, huh?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,336,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I think you mean Seminary. In Utah and some other Western states, Mormon high schoolers go to a separate seminary building that is adjacent to the high school, but is a physically separate building. It's a whole religion class that is much more than prayer. Mormon kids who want religious education can go there, and others don't have to. I think it works very well that way. I don't see a reason for religion to be taught IN the school, especially since a constitutional way works just as well.
That's honestly horrible. WTH should the Mormon cult get special treatment with tax payer dollars? Do they offer special religious classes paid for by tax payer money for Jews or Muslims or Catholics or Protestants? There shouldn't be any religious indoctrination with taxpayer money and I hope the ACLU or some other worthy organization sues Utah to stop this practice.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,336,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
There will always be prayer in school, as long as there are tests or hot teachers there will always be prayer in school. I do not support a forced "prayer time" in public school but I have no problem with a moment of silence or whatever after the morning pledge.
Again, why should the nonreligious students be punished by having valuable classroom time taken away from them? You're religion is your problem so pray on your time not on time allotted for teaching.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,800,127 times
This is just another case of "small government" conservatives (sic) wanting the government to validate and throw their lifestyle onto the rest of the population.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,323,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No, send your kid to a private school if you feel school sponsored prayer is critical to their learning experience.
Repped and Cosigned!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM

866 posts, read 1,563,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That's honestly horrible. WTH should the Mormon cult get special treatment with tax payer dollars? Do they offer special religious classes paid for by tax payer money for Jews or Muslims or Catholics or Protestants? There shouldn't be any religious indoctrination with taxpayer money and I hope the ACLU or some other worthy organization sues Utah to stop this practice.
It's funded by the church themselves. Absolutely no taxpayer dollars go to it. Perhaps you should research more before making assumptions. Why do you think they go off campus for religion class if the state pays for it?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,872,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Again, why should the nonreligious students be punished by having valuable classroom time taken away from them? You're religion is your problem so pray on your time not on time allotted for teaching.
I didn't say anything about religion, I said I support a moment of silence to be used however the student wants. If they want to pray, finish homework they forgot, write a note, text someone, pay respect to a lost family member or just take a 60 second nap that's fine. Out of an entire day 1 minute of time isn't going to hurt anyone nor will it affect a student's education in any way.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,039,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I didn't say anything about religion, I said I support a moment of silence to be used however the student wants. If they want to pray, finish homework they forgot, write a note, text someone, pay respect to a lost family member or just take a 60 second nap that's fine. Out of an entire day 1 minute of time isn't going to hurt anyone nor will it affect a student's education in any way.
You don't need a minute of silence - that should be reserved
for when someone of national significance dies. If they haven't finished their homework - a minute isn't going to
make a difference

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,067,249 times
"As long as kids have tests, there will be prayer in the public schools". I've heard that time and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies