Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

What is Ron Paul talking about?

Opt-out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
He's talking about this..from your link..like a true Libertarian:

"His proposed deal works like this: you pay the government 10% of your income (presumably to protect your borders and such) and you promise you'll never take advantage of a government service for the rest of your life."

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
The American left would/will attack a plan like that in a heartbeat because the people who would opt out are the same ones they rely on to pay their bills. I would gladly pay 10% and handle things on my own.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
If I could get a refund on all the money I've paid into SS, sure. Where do I sign up?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The American left would/will attack a plan like that in a heartbeat because the people who would opt out are the same ones they rely on to pay their bills. I would gladly pay 10% and handle things on my own.
How would Ron Paul's plan monitor those who "opt-out" from making sure that they don't drive on federally funded highways? How would Paul's plan monitor those who eat FDA inspected foods?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If I could get a refund on all the money I've paid into SS, sure. Where do I sign up?
What about the money you put into Medicare?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How would Ron Paul's plan monitor those who "opt-out" from making sure that they don't drive on federally funded highways? How would Paul's plan monitor those who eat FDA inspected foods?
What do you think the 10% would go towards? Paul's plan is to allow people to opt out of a lot of the BS spending that's done in Washington today. I don't want to be a part of foreign aid to countries that hate us. I don't want to pay to rebuild Haiti. I don't want to pay to feed children in Africa. I want my tax dollars to go to my country, to protect our borders and to invest in infrastructure that we all use. Roads, power grids, water purification, etc all makes sense because it's important to all of us. Things that only benefit small special interest groups should be funded by those who approve of the expenditure.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
You pay taxes on gasoline, which covers highway maintenance, and when you purchase food, approximately 30% of the cost is in taxes that have been passed on to you by the companies who grow, process, and transport that food item. This is what is meant by "user fees" (i.e. excise taxes). Property taxes pay for schools, police departments, and fire departments, state income taxes pick up the rest of the tab.

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Don't be obtuse. That's what the 10% is for. You do realize that the majority of your tax dollars goes towards entitlement programs, don't you? Medicare and social security being the two biggies. 10% should cover all the little things like roads, national security, etc.

Quote:
That too, but I might even be coerced into writing that off as bad debt for the opportunity to opt out.

Quote:
Nobody my age will ever see a dime of Medicare money come back to them, it's the biggest ponzi scheme ever and it's quickly running out of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies