Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I would like to hear what was said before and after. I would be really interested on what the {R} response was if there was one. If? what he said is true that they started to vote 3 min before 5 pm then he has a solid point and I would have been pissed off too.
I read earlier, I'll try to find it, that the dems had implied that they were not going to attend this session so, the repubs proceeded as if the dems were not going to be there. When the dems showed up it was a surprise.

The repubs apologized and explained as I have written above. The repubs suspended proceedings so the dems come come up to speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you were similiarly appalled at how the health care legislation was forced through?
Guess what--there was nearly SIX MONTHS of debate on HCR. It passed the House with a majority, and the Senate with a 60 vote supermajority--more than the majority usually required--because of the R filibuster. When they had to combine minor differences between the House and Senate versions, they used reconciliation--a process used 22 times by the R's since the 80's--to pass the final version with a majority vote in the Senate. Whether you like it or not, they followed the rules.

Do you think not giving bills to reps, outlawing floor debate and amendments, holding a vote just days after the bill is introduced, and scheduling votes at the last minute and then holding them early is the same thing? You can't justify that, no matter how hard you try, and IT IS NOT comparable to the health care debate in any way.

EDIT--Not to mention that they passed the REPUBLICAN BILL for health care reform that I supported during the Clinton administration--the one developed by the Heritage Foundation as a counter to Hillary care as a free market alternative, including the individual mandate.

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Don't even go there. If the Democrats had refused to give the R's the Health Care bill, attempted to pass it 4 days after it was initially introduced in the House, refused to allow amendments, and then scheduled votes at the very last minute, and earlier than the notification listed, then you'd have a point. You don't.
I know you're joking so I won't even bother...

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Oh please! Lefties wrote the book on your side did it too/lie/deflect/blame/RUN AWAY.

So if someone from the right does it, all of a sudden it is wrong? How pathetic.
Well you just proved a point that I have made several times in this forum, maybe you will recognize this quote from Wendal Willkie:
"There is not a dimes difference between the two major parties".
He should have added their is no difference between their followers it would apply. Now let me ask you how does it feel to be the same as a lefty as you put it?
Also it is wrong no matter which side does it and I can say I never done it and never will.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Well you just proved a point that I have made several times in this forum, maybe you will recognize this quote from Wendal Willkie:
He should have added their is no difference between their followers it would apply. Now let me ask you how does it feel to be the same as a lefty as you put it?
Also it is wrong no matter which side does it and I can say I never done it and never will.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
So are you against the process or the actual legislation?
Frank, are you for the how this piece of legislation was handled? Or are you for it because the Rs did it this way.

How would you feel if the Ds do this in the US senate?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times
Quote:
I am not, nor will I ever be, a lefty. Unfortunately, the left leaves one no choice but to fight fire with fire. Just a fact of life. The real issue is, the republicans are finally standing up and fighting back and the dems do not know what to do with that.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I am not, nor will I ever be, a lefty. Unfortunately, the left leaves one no choice but to fight fire with fire. Just a fact of life. The real issue is, the republicans are finally standing up and fighting back and the dems do not know what to do with that.
I'm not a lefty either, but I understand the difference between right and wrong. This is wrong. If you have to "stand up and fight" by using thug tactics, you've lost before you started. Republicans should be better than this.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I read earlier, I'll try to find it, that the dems had implied that they were not going to attend this session so, the repubs proceeded as if the dems were not going to be there. When the dems showed up it was a surprise.
If you have a link that changes the whole story of course.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
blah blah blah blah.

Frank D.
Is this your idea of an intelligent debate? Or is this your desperate effort when you have no credible argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies