Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times

Advertisements

Don't we Americans have a constitutionally protected right to freedom of assembly and due process?

Jeez... what happened to this country? I don't recognize it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Don't we Americans have a constitutionally protected right to freedom of assembly and due process?

Jeez... what happened to this country? I don't recognize it anymore.
Suggesting people be shot generally is viewed like yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It looks like we have another one that needs fired! Don't these nuts know they will be quoted?

Democrat urges unions to 'get a little bloody when necessary'
By Michael O'Brien - 02/23/11 07:57 AM ET

Sometimes it's necessary to get out on the streets and "get a little bloody," a Massachusetts Democrat said Tuesday in reference to labor battles in Wisconsin.
Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) fired up a group of union members in Boston with a speech urging them to work down in the trenches to fend off limits to workers' rights like those proposed in Wisconsin.
Let me help you out here buddy.

"I’m proud to be here with people who understand that it’s more than just sending an email to get you going," Capuano said, according to the Statehouse News. "Every once and awhile you need to get out on the streets and get a little bloody when necessary."

From your own link, which you seem to have left out.

It may have been a poor choice of words for a motivational speech but he clearly was not explicitly calling for the opposition to be target practice just for exercising their right to dissent.

And you also seem to have grossly overlooked, yet another important tidbit:

"On Wednesday afternoon, Capuano issued a brief apology: "I strongly believe in standing up for worker rights and my passion for preserving those rights may have gotten the best of me yesterday in an unscripted speech. I wish I had used different language to express my passion and I regret my choice of words."

Jeez, violations of our constitutional rights should be loudly and strongly condemned, regardless of your ideological persuasion.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Let me help you out here buddy.

"I’m proud to be here with people who understand that it’s more than just sending an email to get you going," Capuano said, according to the Statehouse News. "Every once and awhile you need to get out on the streets and get a little bloody when necessary."

From your own link, which you seem to have left out.

It may have been a poor choice of words for a motivational speech but he clearly was not explicitly calling for the opposition to be target practice just for exercising their right to dissent.

And you also seem to have grossly overlooked, yet another important tidbit:

"On Wednesday afternoon, Capuano issued a brief apology: "I strongly believe in standing up for worker rights and my passion for preserving those rights may have gotten the best of me yesterday in an unscripted speech. I wish I had used different language to express my passion and I regret my choice of words."

Jeez, violations of our constitutional rights should be loudly and strongly condemned, regardless of your ideological persuasion.
Saying that democracy is a "bloody process" is a standard colloquialism--it's used all the time. It means that you have to "get bloody"--fight for your rights, and that sometimes it's a battle. I don't know of a single person who would take that literally, unless they were looking for something to take out of context. I do however think that tweeting by a state official over using live ammo on a crowd of peaceful protesters, and then when confronted on it, explaining that you meant it, is a problem.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) fired up a group of union members in Boston with a speech urging them to work down in the trenches to fend off limits to workers' rights like those proposed in Wisconsin.
There needs to be a recognition that there is a difference between the irresponsible speech of elected officials and those whose employment requires the absolute perception of impartiality and nowhere is this more true that when such employees are charged with the administration of justice. In this case the only appropriate comparison would be with the assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell who was correctly fired for his anti-gay blogging.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Well of course we do, but we also have such things of codes of professional responsibility.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post

He doesn't have a 2nd amendment right to shoot innocent protesters no matter how ignorant and worthless they are.
Well he sure thinks he does!
Jeff Cox via Twitter: "@AdamWeinstein Murder is by definition "unlawful," brainiac. Using force to clear out threatening individuals would be "lawful.""

Indiana Official: "Use Live Ammunition" Against Wisconsin Protesters | Mother Jones

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Saying that democracy is a "bloody process" is a standard colloquialism--it's used all the time. It means that you have to "get bloody"--fight for your rights, and that sometimes it's a battle. I don't know of a single person who would take that literally, unless they were looking for something to take out of context. I do however think that tweeting by a state official over using live ammo on a crowd of peaceful protesters, and then when confronted on it, explaining that you meant it, is a problem.
I sure hope nobody tries to make this clown some kind of hero or martyr.

Unless he apologizes for his totally unwarranted and reckless comments, he does not deserve to have any high profile gov. position or have the nerve to think of himself as a public servant.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I sure hope nobody tries to make this clown some kind of hero or martyr.

Unless he apologizes for his totally unwarranted and reckless comments, he does not deserve to have any high profile gov. position or have the nerve to think of himself as a public servant.
The Attorney General's Office had to fire him quickly or this would have been a nightmare for them. I hope he never works again.

Or...maybe at a non union job, like McDonalds or Walmart. That might be fitting.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
It looks like we have another one that needs fired! Don't these nuts know they will be quoted?

Democrat urges unions to 'get a little bloody when necessary'
By Michael O'Brien - 02/23/11 07:57 AM ET

Sometimes it's necessary to get out on the streets and "get a little bloody," a Massachusetts Democrat said Tuesday in reference to labor battles in Wisconsin.

He's a Dem, it took place in Mass, and it was a union rally.

That said....no harm/no foul

Nothing will be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies